SASS Wire Forum

OK NON CAS , BUT......THE HI POWER IS BACK!!!!!

JUST Released today!!!!   Only now it's a Springfield Armory SA 35 !!! ALL forged, better sights, better trigger, improved thumb safety, and 15+1 for 16 rds total!!!!   There's a bunch of vids on google. Sug Retail under $700!!!!

WAHOO !!!!!

Did I mention I love the Hi Power..... even more than my 1911's!!  See a cpl more in my future!

Extra capacity is useless for us Canadians; we're limited to ten round mags for all our handguns.

I am thrilled to see this. The main things most disliked are gone; the mag safety, lousy sights, miniscule safety and hand chewing hammer. It's like a real shooter had input on one of history's great guns!

1 hour ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Extra capacity is useless for us Canadians; we're limited to ten round mags for all our handguns.

Same down here (at least in my State).

The Hi- Power is one gun I don't like to shoot as its always bit me enough to draw blood between thumb and first finger

16 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Same down here (at least in my State).

The Hi- Power is one gun I don't like to shoot as its always bit me enough to draw blood between thumb and first finger

I thought I wanted one for years until I rented one and shot one. The hammer bite was quite annoying. I had “hammer flinch” if there is such a thing. :lol:

I had an Israeli surplus HiPower [Belgian made] that I loved even though it had those horrible sights and chewed the daylights out of me. Wonderfully accurate and even though it had been beat to shreds, 100% reliable.

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I thought I wanted one for years until I rented one and shot one. The hammer bite was quite annoying. I had “hammer flinch” if there is such a thing. :lol:

It don' matter none no-how anyway, Pat... you and I can't have 'em.  :(

3 hours ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

Got the first one that comes to my LGS spoken for.

I’ll be stopping by mine first thing tomorrow!

https://www.springfield-armory.com/sa-35-series-handguns/sa-35-handguns/

I have a 1975 Belgium made HiPower, and it has never bit me, It's a gun I can close my eyes, raise the gun up to eye level and the sights are lined up perfectly. I would buy a new one in a heartbeat except NY has a 10 round magazine limit.Hopefully the Supreme Court will find the NY gun laws unconstitutional

6 minutes ago, Major E A Sterner #12916 said:

I have a 1975 Belgium made HiPower, and it has never bit me, It's a gun I can close my eyes, raise the gun up to eye level and the sights are lined up perfectly. I would buy a new one in a heartbeat except NY has a 10 round magazine limit.Hopefully the Supreme Court will find the NY gun laws unconstitutional

I wish you well!  Unfortunately, that hasn't worked so well in california - every time a sensible judge makes a sensible ruling the ninth circus court of appeals steps up and does their thing....  :(  

The Commander style ring hammer takes care of the hammer bite.  The only time I have been bit by a Hi-Power was when they had the spur hammer.

If it takes a 15 round mag, then will it still work with the millions of 13 rounders that have been made over the last 80 odd years or will it only work with the proprietary mag?

By the same token, will older Hi-Powers like my FN commercial model work with their 15 round mag? 

I've been thinking about getting the old boy back into the carry rotation any how and this sounds like a great excuse to do so.

Having fired my father's I have no interest in one myself, but in theory the existing 10 round magazines out there for the Hi - Power should fit in the Springfield Armory version for those of us living in less free states.

1 hour ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

The Commander style ring hammer takes care of the hammer bite.  The only time I have been bit by a Hi-Power was when they had the spur hammer.

If it takes a 15 round mag, then will it still work with the millions of 13 rounders that have been made over the last 80 odd years or will it only work with the proprietary mag?

By the same token, will older Hi-Powers like my FN commercial model work with their 15 round mag? 

I've been thinking about getting the old boy back into the carry rotation any how and this sounds like a great excuse to do so.

The magazines are interchangeable.

I can't say I ever had my personal HP take a chunk out of me.

We did have to reduce mag capacity from 13 to 10

HPRghtwMag.jpg

2 hours ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Meg gar, a high quality Italian maker, has been making 15 round mags for Hi Powers for years. My best guess is that is what is coming with the gun. I have a FEG hi power, ring hammer, extended safety and slide release all the "new upgrades" FEG was doing 30 years ago!

1 minute ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

Meg gar, a high quality Italian maker, has been making 15 round mags for Hi Powers for years. My best guess is that is what is coming with the gun. I have a FEG hi power, ring hammer, extended safety and slide release all the "new upgrades" FEG was doing 30 years ago!

Makes sense.

Meggar makes OEM mags for several manufacturers.

Gave my 1969 made Hi-Power to my daughter-in-law, last Christmas. 

I don't need a crystal ball to see one of these new ones in my future. :D

John Browning was, indeed, a firearms genius. :FlagAm:

I have several firearms, that he designed. Now to re-add a Hi-Power to the list.

Happy news that a new one is...hopefully...coming to a store near you, or a web-site near you...at some point in geologic time.

Of course...right now..."out of stock"; "backordered"...yada, yada, yada....same song, ten millionth verse.  :angry:

W.K. 

I disabled the mag safety on my 1968 gun and it smoothed things out considerably.  I like that feature in this new gun and the thumb safety will be welcome.  I just hope I live long enough to get one and I hope it isn't screwed up like so many other "new issue", "improved" guns have been.....like the Remington M-51 pistols, the Ithaca M-37  shotguns, the Whitney Wolverine pistols, and others have been.

1 hour ago, Wyatt Earp SASS#1628L said:

Wish it came with a nice polished blue finish as an option.

The Guns youtube said it was blued, so I guess we could polish the slide flats, that would look good!

5 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I disabled the mag safety on my 1968 gun and it smoothed things out considerably. 

Since the magazine disconnector has to rub up against a magazine, I took the hard stone out of a Buck knife sharpening kit and rubbed the hard stone on the front of each of my High Power magazines.  I found it improved the trigger pull immediately and cost nothing to do.

I remember reading a a range report by Jeff Cooper on the Hi-Power decades ago in some gun rag.  He was grudgingly complimentary, saying that it's only fault was that it was not a .45 ACP.

I have never shot one, but they sure feel comfortable in my hand. 

Archived