SASS Wire Forum

Need Pricing help on this OLD Colt & Leather Rig

Max Payne

Friend of a friend died awhile back, & he had some guns he absolutely cherished. His wife asked me to help sell them, but I know nothing of these old guys. I know there are several of you who know their stuff, & I'm hoping you can help me help her by getting these guys correctly priced. Serial number is in the photos. I'm told that the grips were replaced somewhere along the line, & that they're walnut.

This is a .44-40 Colt with a 7 inch barrel.

I also have a Winchester 1886 with a LOW serial number that I'll address separately.

Colt Bottom of Barrel.jpg

Colt Bottom of Grip 3.jpg

Colt Frame w Serial #.jpg

Colt Left View Barrel.jpg

Colt Left View Cylinder & Frame.jpg

Colt Left View.jpg

Colt Right View 2.jpg

Colt Right View.jpg

Holster 2.jpg

1665246708_Holster3.jpg

Holster.jpg

10 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

It is a .44-40.

Thanks for that! I knew the hole was huge & guessed it as a 44-40, but she told me it was a .45.

Thanks again for the correction!

If you haven't looked, Colt lists the serial number as a Single Action Army built in 1893.  There may be more information, but that would require a Colt letter.  Grips were definitely replaced.  Pricing can be difficult without an examination of the pistol.  The Colt Forum has a lot of information on the 1st Generation SAA and the members there can give you some idea of pricing, but keep in mind that many members are collectors and or sellers.  It looks to be in pretty good shape for a 120 + year old gun.

Here is a serial number listing, looks like your revolver was manufactured 1893-1894.

Colt SAA Serial #s.pdf

The holster is many years newer than the Colt.  Does it have a maker's stamp on the inside?  If made by Ojala or Bolen or somebody like that, might be worth something.  If no name, likely not worth much.

Even of the belt/holster is not "worth much," selling it with the gun may make the whole package more attractive.  You could probably add another $100 to the asking price by including it, even if the rig itself is only worth half that.

On the other hand, it would be wise to research the leather along with the gun.  I might be worth something.

Also, with the Frontier Six Shooter,   would probably be worth getting a letter from Colt.  You never can tell what value it could add. If it was sent to some person of fame or even to some store out on the frontier, it would add to the value.

Just now, Warden Callaway said:

Also, with the Frontier Six Shooter,   would probably be worth getting a letter from Colt.  You never can tell what value it could add. If it was sent to some person of fame or even to some store out on the frontier, it would add to the value.

+1000 to this!

2 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

I'd post over on the Colt Forum in the single action army section.  There is a resistant panel of experts that love to sort out these thing.  Be warned,  they'll ask for sharp pictures. 

https://www.coltforum.com/forums/single-action-army.56/ 

Thank you. I'll get some better pics together.

3 hours ago, Turquoise Bill, SASS #39118 said:

Here is a serial number listing, looks like your revolver was manufactured 1893-1894.

Colt SAA Serial #s.pdf 477.99 kB · 2 downloads

Thanks!

4 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

The holster is many years newer than the Colt.  Does it have a maker's stamp on the inside?  If made by Ojala or Bolen or somebody like that, might be worth something.  If no name, likely not worth much.

Thanks. I'll check.

Thanks for the great feedback & suggestions! This will help greatly as I proceed to help this lady.

Archived