SASS Wire Forum

Cross-eye dominant

Alpo

With an organization as big as this, there are bound to be several cross-eye dominant people.

What is the general solution for a long gun? Learn to shoot off the other shoulder? Wear a patch over your dominant eye to force your lazy eye to take over? Something else?

My grandson and an old shooting buddy has this issue. Right handed but left eye dominant. For handguns they use their left eye for aiming. My grandson closes his left eye and uses his right eye for long guns. My friend did the same until he had a pair of shooting glasses made that helped him use his right eye more efficiently without having to close his left. He ended up going back to just keeping his left eye closed as the glasses caused him issues, like; headaches, eye fatigue and they were a hassle to take on and off between shooting and not shooting. 

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

With an organization as big as this, there are bound to be several cross-eye dominant people.

What is the general solution for a long gun? Learn to shoot off the other shoulder? Wear a patch over your dominant eye to force your lazy eye to take over? Something else?

I am right handed with a left dominance.  I shoot a long gun off the left shoulder and a handgun with my right hand and it feels perfectly normal for me.   I must have learned to shoot off the left shoulder when very young, because I can't remember a time when I did it differently.  I have shot pretty much every kind of long gun off my left shoulder from bolt action rifles (kind of weird to watch if I am shooting one off hand) to a M-60 (I find the belt by reaching under the gun with my right hand).  For handguns I just tilt my head so that my right cheek is touching the top of my shoulder.

In general I don't believe in trying to force a shooter to use the weak eye and for SASS I think being cross dominant has it's advantages:  The shotgun is loaded with my strong hand and  a 97 can be staged with the loading port down to prevent empties from getting in the action.

I was right eye dominant both my dad and older brother were left eye dominant and left handed. I grew up ambidextrous.  When I was in my late forties I had cataracts surgery in both eyes. During a motorcycle ride I had a retinal detachment right eye and subsequent surgery. For many years I found myself shooting cross eyed. Leaning over the rifle to sightwith my left eye. I still accidentally do it.       

Sometimes lately i find myself shooting with both eyes open. If I concentrate real hard and use my right eye I shoot better even though my left is now dominant. Rifle is easier than using my handguns which I find I typically automatically cross over to my left.  I’ve tried zeroing that way but im constantly unconsciously Changing between eyes. Pain in the butt

I don't have a strong master eye.   I put a piece of transparent scotch tape inside the lens of my weak eye.  From the nose piece out, top to bottom the width of the tape. Placement may vary with your shooting stance.  When the tape is in the right position, If I close my strong eye I can not see the gun.  You still have field of view and don't have to squint.   Squinting makes your eyes tired.     GW

If you want to realize your full potential shoot whatever you’re dominant eye is . That being said allot of people don’t even discover it’s a “thing” until they are a adult. By then it takes a significant comment by most people to change. 
When I’m around small kids I always try to check their eye dominance. If you start them out right they will never question it . 
It’s a big advantage to be able to shoot with both eyes open 

1 minute ago, Buckshot Bob said:

If you want to realize your full potential shoot whatever you’re dominant eye is . That being said allot of people don’t even discover it’s a “thing” until they are a adult. By then it takes a significant comment by most people to change. 
When I’m around small kids I always try to check their eye dominance. If you start them out right they will never question it . 
It’s a big advantage to be able to shoot with both eyes open 

I am one of those who did not know I was cross-dominant until an adult and actually a Range Instructor. I have learned to shoot with my dominant hand for long guns, often closing my left eye. Handguns? I now use my dominant left eye to aim. Wish I would have known this as a kid as I was a lousy baseball batter.

13 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

I am one of those who did not know I was cross-dominant until an adult and actually a Range Instructor. I have learned to shoot with my dominant hand for long guns, often closing my left eye. Handguns? I now use my dominant left eye to aim. Wish I would have known this as a kid as I was a lousy baseball batter.

I pay attention to it because my father is left eye dominant and right handed. He was lucky enough to be shooting his first round of skeet at Williams gunsight co in Mi when he was a young child. 
He said he was missing everything. One of the instructors noticed and checked him then made him start shooting LH . Problem solved. He’s been very appreciative for that instruction. He was stationed at Ft Bragg and Sill and said he either owned or was tied for the course record with a garand while he was there. But I’m sure being one of the range instructors helped allot.
He’s in his eighty’s now and it still amazes me how quickly he can reload a M1  

I'm one of those totally screwed up left/right confused people.

Right eye dominant

Eat, write, hammer, saw, use screw drivers etc, etc 90% left handed.

Throw right handed

Bat right handed

Slalom water ski right foot forward

Skate board left foot forward.

Shoot long guns right handed

Shoot pistols left handed.

Shooting a pistol lefty is a bit of a pain sometimes. first it was finding a 1911 with ambi safety. Then I had wanted to get a Crimson trace grip laser but they didn

t make a left handed version. The standard location interfered with the safety. Oh well.

Archived