SASS Wire Forum

Front sights and old eyes.....

Doc Altman SASS#74468

I'm looking to increase the visibility of the front sight on my Vaqueros.  I'm familiar with "Sure Hit" brass wraps for the front sight, but I'd like to look at other options before ordering a set.  I remember reading that someone was making a similar item but I can't seem to locate that maker.

Any advice, information, or guidance would be appreciated.

I'm certain this topic has been covered numerous times, but my searches here have been fruitless.

Thanks!

--Doc

Merchants Forum shows OnTarget front sight covers.    I gave up years ago and had my eye doctor make special single focus glasses for me.  Tried 1 contact for awhile and loved it but contacts and I didnt get along    GW

I went to trifocals last year and they work great. Have your doctor set you up for the front sight distance on the third focal area.

OnTarget Sights was what I was searching for.

I've tried safety glasses with cheaters at the top, which work fairly well when I can force myself to put my chin down.

Gold sharpie worked a little, but I really need a larger sight.

Ultimately, I think I'll have to go to prescription lenses/trifocals, like Deacon suggested.

Thanks for all of the help!

--Doc

My eye doctor just set me to 34-35 inchs.   Basicaly the distance from from my eye to front sight.     Deacon said go to the 3rd focal but I have had others say 2nd      What ever works.   "Makes for a more harmonious outcome"         GW

54 minutes ago, G W Wade said:

My eye doctor just set me to 34-35 inchs.   Basicaly the distance from from my eye to front sight.     Deacon said go to the 3rd focal but I have had others say 2nd      What ever works.   "Makes for a more harmonious outcome"         GW

Just to be clear, my lenses have the distance [largest field] on top, the reading portion at the bottom and the band for "sight picture" in the middle. It also works great while driving for reading the dashboard clearly.

Another popular method is to have shooting lens for front sight, other lens for me was normal script with bifocal. Eye doc knew just what I wanted. Now I can read stages and still see without having to swap glasses. Good Luck:)

Archived