SASS Wire Forum

RNV transfer bars are different?????

Waco Jim

I own 8 Ruger NV and six of them have the transfer bar with the tab at the top of the bar which adds about .030 to the thickness of the bar where the hammer strikes.  Two have the transfer bar pictured without the tab.  All the hammers seem to be identical.  I thought this was odd and I've not noticed this before.  Both the guns in question came to me from previous owners but are 2021 manufacture dates.  Has Ruger recently made this change?

1948594461_XfersBars.jpg

Your picture shows the upper bar WITHOUT the built-up tab at the top edge, BUT... notice also it appears

to have a built-up area at the 'bend'.     This is the area where I've had breakages (only 2) a long time ago.

My guess is they've changed the 'built-up' area to strengthen the 'bend' area.

But, this is just a guess based on your pictures and my personal experiences with T Bars.

..........Widder

The New Vaquero parts diagram shows the TB with a tab at the top.  With the addition of the toe added to the bottom of the pawl to retract the pawl for free spin when the hammer is down, the face of the hanner is help back slightly from bottoming out on the firing pin.  In my reckoning I can see where the tab was added to the TB to insure a full strike on the firing pin.  I'm thinking the tab was added on all models with the free spin  pawl.  Does this make sense?

I'm convinced the hammer on top is for the old model Vaquero.  How they wound up in two New Vaquero's purchased from two different individuals is a mystery.

I have at least two New Vaqueros with the tab on the transfer bars. Birdshead .45 acp's, purchased brand new in 2012 with consecutive serial numbers. A third one, also a Birdshead .45 acp, purchased from an acquaintance who bought it new in 2017 doesn't have the tab. 

Seems I read somewhere transfer bars aren't interchangeable between original models and New Models...?

Here's an update after several phone call to Ruger and finally speaking with the Vaquero tech, here what he told me.  About 5 years ago Ruger changed the transfer bar on the RNV to the style WITHOUT the tab at the top and no explanation why.  Thgis appears to be true after checking the 8 RNV's that I own and checking the date of manufacture.  What started this thread was two RNV that I purchased from dofferent folks, one had the tab one didn't.  These were made in 2021 so one was obviously changed by the previous owner.  When comparing the two and measuring the firing pin protrusion beyond the recoil shield with the trigger pulled holding xfer bar up and pressing on the back of the hammer as it would be at the moment of hammer strike, I was stunned at what I saw.  The xfer bar with the tab extended the firing pin visiably more thru the recoil sheild and in fact I measured the difference between the two xfer bars.  Using a feeler gauge inserted between the rear of the cylinder and the firing pin with the hammer and xfer bar held in firing position.  There was .013 more penetration with the tab style xfer bar.

After firing 12 rounds thru each there was a noticable difference in primer penetration between the two using the same brand of brass and Federal primers.

While the short strike primer hit did fire all 12 rounds, I have lost confidence in these new xfer bars, which by the way are the only ones available from Ruger.  The ones with the tab have been discontinued.

Archived