SASS Wire Forum

Watch pockets

Forty  Rod SASS 3935

I carry a pocket watch and have for years.

I used to wear Levis but quit for political reasons.

I switched to Wranglers and recently they moved the top of the watch pocket up under the edge of the belt making it totally useless.

Moved on to Lee jeans and find the cut poor and the watch pocket is placed perfectly but is too shallow to securely hold a watch.

Any other suggestions?

Incidentally, none of these three manufacturers has responded to my attempt to contact them.

Love a pocket watch, and have encountered the same problems. 

if a manufacturer is going to put a pocket, on their pants for a watch, the least they could do is design a functional/accessible pocket. 

I don't expect to be challenged to a fast draw pocket watch contest, but I'd at least like to get the watch out of the pocket without looking like I have poison ivy, and I am trying to scratch. 

As it is now, it is so slow, to get the watch out of the pocket, that you can time me with a calendar. 

Manufacturers of jeans now make them for the "Alphabet" generations. (X, Z, etc.)

Kept the pocket for style only, thus eliminating its original intended purpose. :angry:

I have purchased some Duluth jeans that have a pocket watch pocket that seems appropriately placed and deep enough for a proper watch. Since I don’t carry a pocket watch the words ‘seems’ is pivotal to my expressed opinion.

When sizing if you chose the relaxed fir the jeans are also appropriately cut in other areas to fit a mature figure.

How’s that for weasel words? :rolleyes: I do really believe their watch pocket would work, however, they may be pricey.

Good Luck and if you do buy a pair lets us know about the pocket.

Cactus Jack

About 20 years ago I took my son to the mall. He was to young to drive so about 14 or so.  He had no cell phone back then, so I gave him some quarters to call me. Told him to put that money in your watch pocket so you don't accidentally spend it. He gave me the "deer in the headlights" look, had no idea what a watch pocket was. When I showed him what it was he said " oh, we call that a condom pocket", little sh*t.

2 hours ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

Love a pocket watch, and have encountered the same problems. 

if a manufacturer is going to put a pocket, on their pants for a watch, the least they could do is design a functional/accessible pocket. 

I don't expect to be challenged to a fast draw pocket watch contest, but I'd at least like to get the watch out of the pocket without looking like I have poison ivy, and I am trying to scratch. 

As it is now, it is so slow, to get the watch out of the pocket, that you can time me with a calendar. 

and they charge you for something that isn't usable.

:ph34r:  Agree with the Duluth brand recommendation.  I like the Duluthflex fabric and second the 'relaxed fit'.  They are tough and breath well for hot weather,

being totally agreeable in Ridgecrest summers.  The steel gray is classy and reserved.  They will outlast me, I think, and I plan on lasting another 20 years, at least, assuming the government doesn't get in the way.....

12 hours ago, jack davis said:

Those are the wranglers that look like the pro rodeo's what they say last 40% longer

20211024_190941.jpg

The one I have on right now don't have any room at all at the top or the watch pocket.  The older ones do.  This is a recent thing and it drives me nuts.  It shouldn't be all that hard to drop the top a half inch.  Maybe they need to teach their production workers and supervisors to read and speak English more better.

I carry my watch in my shirt pocket sometimes, but with glasses, cell phone, pen, shopping lists, etc. it can be damned inconvenient.  Front right pocket is better, but not much, especially when trying to get money or a knife out of the pocket. 

According to the in house historian for Levis it’s not supposed to be useful. :rolleyes:

To preserve the integrity of the early design, Levi Strauss & Co. maintains the watch pocket.

Let us be candid.  Other than three or four guys on the wire no one uses a pocket watch anymore.  The modern generation does not even use wrist watches.  They use their phones.  The ChiComs that make the jeans don't even know what a pocket watch is so they wouldn't know where the pocket is supposed to go.  A modern kid knows what 3:50 is but if you tell them it is ten to four they will look at you with a blank stare.

Vest is the only choice - I personaly have never seen a pic of a period cowboy with a pocket watch in the 5 pocket jeans.   I believe that was more for small change.  JM2C.

5 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

A modern kid knows what 3:50 is but if you tell them it is ten to four they will look at you with a blank stare.

...... sometimes it's worth it just to see that blank stare ......   ;)

much as i appreciate the history of the pocket watch and admire its beauty/function/form ,but  the current phone does it all and im not a techy type . 

i dont wear jewelry of any type , ive had plenty over the years just find everything superficial to my life , i love seeing it on women and in some cases when well crafted/suited on men as an accessory , ive often thought a pocket watch a great accessory to this game , 

Archived