SASS Wire Forum

He makes some good points about the SAA

Buckshot Bob

Well, comparing it to the various S&W's, Remingtons, Merwin & Hulberts, and various cap & ball conversions that were it contemporary alternatives, it was just the best gun on the market.  It fits the hand well, is a natural pointer, and is a comfortable pistol shoot and carry.   Not to say the alternatives were not good guns, but the SAA was just that much better than the others.

At least, that's the conclusion I come to when I compare the ones I have.  :)

In regard to handguns...

Basically...back in the 19th century...Smith & Wesson, Remington, Merwin Hulbert, and any other revolver manufacturer, were really all vying for Second Place....behind the Colt single action, in particular, and Colt in general....if one looks at the numbers of firearms manufactured, during that time.

I guess one "reason" was, Colt had a head start, and lots of folks "grew up" shooting the Colt percussion revolvers, and made the transition to Colt in the metallic cartridge era (but many old-timers just stayed with the percussion revolvers, out of familiarity, and habit, and the cost of buying a new firearm, and metallic cartridges). 

Archived