SASS Wire Forum

For All You Marching Band Fans, Baylor Golden Wave

Subdeacon Joe

I’ll still have to opt for TBDBITL, but that was pretty good. I also enjoy DCI, but that’s something else entirely.

12 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I used to love watching them in bowl game halftime shows. That high kicking walk of the drum major and the crispness of the formations was impressive.

A few years back, when my daughter was in marching band in high school, her school competed in Ohio Stadium. As part of it, The Ohio State Marching Band put in a performance. Still amazing to watch, and a tough act to beat.

2 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

We were pretty good but it's hard to compete with a band of only 41 members.

I've seen some small high school bands compete and be creative, putting on very entertaining shows.

our band / orchestra teacher, Eldon Torbenson, taught in both Logan Junior High School and Logan High School, Logan, Utah.  He was my teacher for six years and showed me how to play alto sax and later moved me to tenor sax.

I went to an all state five day conference and concert where the students from all the schools in Utah cut a 78 rpm (remember those?).  I was tenor sax first chair and shared a lead part on Barcarole from the Tales of Hoffman.  Four months later I graduated and went to college, but never played an instrument in a band again.

We did some great things and travelled around Utah, and ventured into Wyoming and Idaho for six years.

Mr. Torbenson played almost every instrument and played them all well.  He also taught me, by his example, that there is always time enough to do whatever you set your mind to and forget about clocks.  Just focus and do it!  

Archived