SASS Wire Forum

Improving my stage times?

Matthew Duncan

Improving my stage times?

With the times scarcity of ammo and reloading components, practicing to improve my stage times has been problematic for me.

BUT I believe I’ve found a solution that is worthwhile pursuing.  Placing a Neodymium Iron Boron magnet into my cast bullets!  Think about it!  We do shoot at STEEL targets and magnets are attracted to steel!

My first attempt proved this idea to be worthwhile to pursue further.  Drop a magnet into the bullet mold first, then pour in the molten lead.  Resize and lube as normal.  Tested five rounds of my Magnet Automatic Direction bullets at my private range.  Worked like a charm.  Loaded 100 for my next match.

First stage morning sun was shining on my back.  I’m called to the line, aim within a foot or two of the targets and pulling the triggers as fast as I could.  My stage times were cut in half!  I’m smiling from ear to ear.

Stage Two is when I recalled that magnets have a north and a south pole.  The third round out of my first pistol had the magnet south pole casted on the bullet’s point.  Timer Operator had this big old Bowie knife on his belt.  Considering the TO’s age he eventually would have needed his hip replaced anyway.

Before the next match I have my reloads sorted by their north and south magnetic poles.

This is THE match.  I’ll place in the top ten for the first time ever!  The only question I have, do I need the north facing bullets or the south facing bullets?  I lose my smile when I realize all of the stages are all facing west!?!?!?  And for nosy cowpokes, yes right after announcing the Clean Shooters they announced their first ever 100% miss Shooter.

Using Al Gore’s Internet a search found a Ebay post from a fellow in China that guarantees he has east west poled magnetics in stock.

P.S.

If’n any of y’all believe this story, let me tell you about the time I recycled lead from a car battery.

This is your lucky day my friend. With each extended auto warrenty policy I sale I include a box of Al Gore approved clean green east/west poled magnets. 

Be sure to answer your phone. Most likely it's me calling, so have your credit card ready.

Can't improve your stage times, but I know of a sure fire way to increase your competitors times.

You'll need a supply of Chicken Feet and a secret incantation that I'll gladly provide in exchange for 6 cases of Remington STS 12 ga shells.

Howdy Matthew Duncan,  your post reminds me of a story that an old cowboy told me, a long time ago. He said that he used to pull the ammunition out of his rifle every darned morning, and throw the rounds into the breakfast skillet on the fire, with the bacon. He said that the bacon fat slicked up the rounds "somethin' fierce", as he put it, and he never had a problem with his rifle jamming. I think he was just shooting his mouth off.

A bit off topic, but I do not know how contractors can build a house so fast.

Every box of screws or nails I get fro the store has all of them mixed up together, so first I have to sort the entire box for the wall the go in to.

Matthew Duncan,

No worries about North/South orientation.  The poles are constantly switching so in about 10-50,000 years you should be able to shoot west with your North bullets!

Caladisi Kid  :D

Archived