SASS Wire Forum

Custom Screw knife STOLEN SE Regional

Scarlett

Hopefully somebody will realize that they cannot use the knife, now that it's Sambar Stag distinctive image is etched in everyone's mind.  So the only logical thing is return it --- and the only decent thing is return it, admit it and humbly apologize.  

Salvation requires humility.

Sure am sorry about the special screwknife being taken.

I realized a couple years ago that most folks believe in the Cowboy Way.

And some just wear the clothes.

I'd hate to see you lose heart.

You've got so much to give.

Your friend,

Waimea

29 minutes ago, Waimea said:

I'd hate to see you lose heart.

You've got so much to give.

Sweet Waimea,

I shall not lose heart. The reason I’m pressing this so hard is because we, as a community/family/gathering of people etc.. ought to hold one another to higher standards. We talk the talk - a LOT - and when push comes to shove, it’s bs often times. @Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L I appreciate your sentiment very much. I’d agree with you if the knife were lost… it was lost, found and then stolen. I’m going to email the match attendees tomorrow and ask that they look for it while unpacking.  Had I been the thief, and had a well known item, I’d have dropped it into someone’s cart or gear bag or Something in order to get it back to me. 

Big hugs!

Scarlett

3 hours ago, MizPete said:

Soooooooooooooo not ok.  Real friends don't require it, and it's just not what we do here

Well... It is what some do.

Just is... No wishing it wasn't is going to change that.

Phantom

28 minutes ago, Snakebite Dust SASS 75484 said:

I was wondering where someone could get a screw knife like the one that is missing? Is there a website to order one?

There are sites to order good and custom screw knives.  One was referenced above. 

This particular knife was a unique one, being custom made by a well known artist and from now hard-to-get materials.   And that's not to mention it's obvious sentimental value.   

Somebody simply needs to return back onto the high road and return the knife to Scarlet. 

Jumping the Shark !

I keep reading this post, hoping the next time I read it I’ll see that the knife has been returned, sadly it still hasn’t happened.  I hope that this was all an accident and it’s still in an unopened box at the range.  If the knife was taken by someone it’s disappointing to think that anyone in this sport would think that it’s ok, we all know this.  But what really bugs me is that with all the folks that have gotten the word out and it still hasn’t been returned, and especially knowing who’s it was.  Everyone that knows Scarlett knows that she goes out of her way to make pards feel welcome and takes time to talk to anyone who wants a minute of her time, she deserves better than to be treated like this.  

5 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

I keep reading this post, hoping the next time I read it I’ll see that the knife has been returned, sadly it still hasn’t happened.  I hope that this was all an accident and it’s still in an unopened box at the range.  If the knife was taken by someone it’s disappointing to think that anyone in this sport would think that it’s ok, we all know this.  But what really bugs me is that with all the folks that have gotten the word out and it still hasn’t been returned, and especially knowing who’s it was.  Everyone that knows Scarlett knows that she goes out of her way to make pards feel welcome and takes time to talk to anyone who wants a minute of her time, she deserves better than to be treated like this.  

You do realize that a lot...a LOT, of people don't read the stoopid Wire...and perhaps it wasn't even a "Cowboy Shooter".

And our "Sport" has included many cheaters, liars, phonies and even a bank robber! We pull from the same well as any other game/sport.

Cheers!

Phantom

1 minute ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

You do realize that a lot...a LOT, of people don't read the stoopid Wire...and perhaps it wasn't even a "Cowboy Shooter".

And our "Sport" has included many cheaters, liars, phonies and even a bank robber! We pull from the same well as any other game/sport.

Cheers!

Phantom

Too true. 

43 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Cheers!

Phantom

Well, seeing as how there wasn’t anyone else on the range at the time it was taken, I’m pretty confident that it was a cowboy. Also, I have posted it on Facebook and have asked the Match Director to forward an email from me asking them to check gear bag etc for my knife since, if I were the  thief and wanted to return the knife, I would have dropped it in someone’s stuff.

Hugs,

Scarlett

So, I didn't know about the knife going missing until before the banquet because I wasn't at the range for the announcement as I drove back and forth every day. I had heard someone was run off from the range that was not a shooter that was also run off 2 or 3 years ago. There are houses, so I guess anything is possible. I'm sad it happened.

I know at TN state we have had people take an item from the lost and found because they thought they knew who it belonged to and intended to give the item to them. It's possible that's the case, or like others have said maybe a little one picked up the Shiney object. My guess would be nobody would step forward with it now even because of an "accidental" taking. Maybe they would still mail it in anonymously. 

I hate that this has somewhat cast a shadow on the SE Regional championship. It really was a fantastic match. You can tell it was put on with a lot of hard work and forethought. 

TN,

I agree that there are always other possibilities that could take away 'Cowboy' involvement.    And although I wasn't at the

SE Regional, I have heard comments that it was a great match, ran super smooth with great stages.

While I'm at it....... Congratulations to YOU and Scarlett, and others, for having a great match and winning your respective categories.

Top 20 for you (a jinks Double Duelist) is very commendable.

..........Widder

@Tennessee williams @Widder, SASS #59054

I’m sorry that you and others can’t accept that someone we shoot with would take my knife. (I spoke to the guy who’d been runoff before).

I did NOT jump to this conclusion on a whim. I spoke to 6 people who SAW OR HELD the knife. There weren’t youngsters around when it went missing - it was an adult social Thursday night. Then, by about 7:40am Friday I realized it was missing and was told it was in Lost/Found. I went back and forth along the range speaking to folks trying to trace its whereabouts until it was almost time to shoot the second flight. I felt sure it would show up by the time the dinner started and when it didn’t, I got upset. 

This wasn’t some trinket. It was a Christmas gift. It was $225. Tommy picked the sambar stag scales (handles). A Derringer or pocket pistol has the same value… 

This is about the fact that this kind of thing happens and we are UNWILLING to hold each other accountable. I’m as guilty of blaming stuff on “spectators” “the public”, too, however, my research and footwork says different in this case.  Anything, in this case, is not possible. 

Many of the NAR crew/members apologized to me and are angry it happened. They should be. We all should be.

However, this event in NO WAY casts a shadow on this match or the fine committee who run it. I blame

the person who took my knife out of the L/F box, NO ONE else. I have the utmost appreciation for the NAR committee and their hard work. I can’t wait to go back next year. 

Hugs,

Scarlett

I understand.

It reminded me of an incident I've experienced.

Years back, A new Cowboy acquittance needed a rifle to use until he decided on what he wanted to buy.

So, I loaned him one of my Marlin's.   After a short spell, I offered to sell him that Marlin, if he wanted it,

at a SUPER GOOD PRICE.   But he refused.

Why buy it when he can use it free.

Actually, he had decided (unknown to me) that he wasn't gonna continue shooting Cowboy but had considered that

Marlin as his own when talking about it.   Then one day, another Cowboy offered to BUY that Marlin from him at a MUCH HIGHER

price than I was selling it to him.     So, before he decided to leave Cowboy, he tells me that he now wants to buy it from me.

I had heard about his plans and told him I was no longer interested in 'giving it away' and decided to keep it.

He stopped shooting Cowboy right after that.

YES, there are some greedy folks  that live by standards 99.99% of us don't understand nor agree.

But it hasn't stopped me from trying to help folks when possible and keeping a good thought about our

Cowboy community.    

Being involved in SASS and CAS has help me get to know more GREAT folks in our society than I realized.

Discovering that one of them might wear 'tainted spurs' is indeed discouraging and heartbreaking, but nonetheless,

something we all must face as a reality.

Hope to see you and Tommy soon.

P.S. - Your '97 is fixed and ready to Rock-N-Roll.     

..........Widder

i hope you get it back , i hate that the circumstances point to one of our own - ive felt quite comfortable leaving things out and unlocked at all of my shoots over the years , even told folks to help themselves if i wasnt there , i guess i need to rethink a little - but im not ready to abandon my faith in those i shoot with , perhaps at future shoots elsewhere ill be more situationally aware , 

Seriously...when are some of you folks going to take off those silly Rose Colored Glasses????

The people in SASS are no different than any other group that participate in Games/Sports...really. There are a lot of SASS members that do nothing but put on a facade to mask their true self...and people buy it Hook, Line and Sinker!

Phantom

1 hour ago, Choctaw Silver Wolf SASS 66636 said:

I’m sorry to hear about the loss of your screwdriver/knife 

I have one I don’t use anymore. I will send it to you to use as long as you need to 

SilverWolf

Thank you sweetheart! That is lovely! My husband got me one that I’ve already gotten engraved with SCARLETT. Thank you so much! That means a great deal. 

Great big hugs!

Scarlett :wub:

First off, I have to say, I have never actually met a Cowboy shooter who I would even suspect of doing something like this. Met some aZZhats, but no thieves. Been lucky, I guess. Or they have, as I really hate thieves. I have had guns stolen from my house, car parts taken off a vehicle as it was relatively rare, had my car broken into. Those are the kind of people I used to run into when I was in Law Enforcement. Losers, for the most part, and they usually got what was coming to them eventually.

But to steal from "friends", I especially hate that. Like the guys who borrow tools from you and never give them back. Or like your knife, when they take it knowing it belongs to someone they know, if maybe only slightly.

"Integrity is doing the right thing even when no one is looking".  I have taken that even further, and act like I would if my Mom was watching, even though she has been gone for 47 years now, since I was 17.

Well, the evidence pretty much points to there being at least one among us who is less than trustworthy.   If he or she is YOU, then it would be good for you to anonymously return the knife to Scarlet.   You'll feel much better doing that than you can ever feel from playing with the stolen toy.  Man up and give it back to the person to whom it really means something.   We are not alone in  watching how you respond.  Sit in front of a mirror for a while.  It will help you decide.  

On 10/26/2021 at 7:02 PM, Scarlett said:

@Tennessee williams @Widder, SASS #59054

I’m sorry that you and others can’t accept that someone we shoot with would take my knife. (I spoke to the guy who’d been runoff before).

Scarlett, we didn't say someone you shoot with wouldn't take your knife. I did give you some possibilities and they hold true. It's also true that the people we shoot with are just that. People. Evidence suggests there are people that will be more apt to call a miss or P for someone they don't shoot with all the time than someone they do. There are people that are less than honest with their SASS dealings whether it's a merchant or an individual. There's also only 1 or 2 people that I don't think I could count on to help me if I had a flat on the way home from a match.

This wasn’t some trinket. It was a Christmas gift. It was $225. Tommy picked the sambar stag scales (handles). A Derringer or pocket pistol has the same value… 

To me, it doesn't matter if it's 225.00 or 1.25.

Anything, in this case, is not possible. 

I would say it is possible someone took it from the lost/found thinking they knew who it belonged to with the intention of giving it to that person. We have had folks do that at the state match. I'd also say when they seen this or the Facebook thread the chances of them returning that to you in any other way than anonymously through the mail will not happen. I'm just glad I wasn't even there.

However, this event in NO WAY casts a shadow on this match

I'd say it does cast a shadow on the match. It shouldn't and I'm not blaming anybody. But, when you look at the 1st and 2nd page of the wire you see several threads of people congratulating each other and talking about what a good match bordertown was. If you don't count the original SER post that's on page 20 or so, all you see is something was stolen at the SER. 

I think we're close enough to be able to disagree.

Archived