SASS Wire Forum

WTB Winchester 1876 repair manual

I am the proud owner of an original 1876 rifle. As I was “playing” with it making believe I was Tom Selleck, I noticed the dust cover is loose. Now I could possibly turn the screw to possibly tighten it but I would rather have a manual that tells me what is the correct fix. Is it the same as a 1873 and I should look for one of those instead?  Thanks in advance. 

The dust cover slides back and forth very easily and doesn’t stay in place when then hammer down and lever closed, letting ur do the job it is supposed to. There is a screw on top, seems to be holding a piece of steel under the “ramp” to the dust cover. I believe if I were to tighten this screw it might hold the dust cover in place but as I said it is an original and I don’t want assume making an ass out of me and breaking the part. 

Hi Nimble.  That screw holds the dust cover stop to the bottom of the cover.  If it is loose then sure, tighten it.  But my guess is the spring is loose or bent/cracked/broken or has just lost its tension.  Unlike modern repros it is a flat spring that is screwed into the receiver (so you don't have to worry about a coil spring and ball bearing flying away like an Uberti. :) ).  Removing the top screw will let you remove the dust cover to inspect that leaf spring.  I am not personally familiar with originals, but got all that from Arthur Pirkle's book Winchester Lever Action Repeating Firearms, Vol. 1, 1866, 1873 & 1876.  It is not a repair manual, don't actually know of one other than maybe David Chicoine's but those are hard to find.  If you have an original you NEED the Pirkle book, and it is really cheap.  I just googled it and first used one I saw was $11 shipped.  Does your dust cover have the "thumbprint"?

11 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Hi Nimble.  That screw holds the dust cover stop to the bottom of the cover.  If it is loose then sure, tighten it.  But my guess is the spring is loose or bent/cracked/broken or has just lost its tension.  Unlike modern repros it is a flat spring that is screwed into the receiver (so you don't have to worry about a coil spring and ball bearing flying away like an Uberti. :) ).  Removing the top screw will let you remove the dust cover to inspect that leaf spring.  I am not personally familiar with originals, but got all that from Arthur Pirkle's book Winchester Lever Action Repeating Firearms, Vol. 1, 1866, 1873 & 1876.  It is not a repair manual, don't actually know of one other than maybe David Chicoine's but those are hard to find.  If you have an original you NEED the Pirkle book, and it is really cheap.  I just googled it and first used one I saw was $11 shipped.  Does your dust cover have the "thumbprint"?

Not sure what you mean by thumbprint but thank you for all your information and I have ordered the book you suggested from Amazon new, even though I hate doing business with them as they helped shutdown Parlor and the owner’s and a lot of the employees’ political philosophy. 

Hi Nimble Fingers,

This past year I put a 76' back together, Abilene is correct regarding the spring. Here are some places to find parts for the 76', some parts are original some are reproductions. The 73' and 76' share many parts and the dust cover spring is one of those shared parts. Have fun with the 76'! What caliber is it? Mine is 45-60, I shot it this past fall in two matches that had a Tom Horn category at their annuals.

In regards to a repair manual, I'm not sure if you'll find one. It's essentially a large 73'. Several parts are interchangeable between the 73' and 76'. Arthur Pirkle's book "The Models of 1866, 1873 & 1876"  and  "The Winchester Book" are helpful, in regards to the correct variations between models, but not so much as repairing the rifle.  

Tully

image.png.c8998aacd377fb3cec14f56cda8f3ff0.png

https://homesteadparts.com/shop/winchester-1876-c-1_5.html

https://winchesterbob.com/

5 hours ago, Nimble Fingers SASS# 25439 said:

Not sure what you mean by thumbprint but thank you for all your information and I have ordered the book you suggested from Amazon new, even though I hate doing business with them as they helped shutdown Parlor and the owner’s and a lot of the employees’ political philosophy. 

Some models of Winchesters have a round, raised, checkered embedded on the dust cover, which helps in pushing the cover forward; therefore a "thumbprint".  Not a common part.

On 10/23/2021 at 8:29 AM, Tully Mars said:

Hi Nimble Fingers,

This past year I put a 76' back together, Abilene is correct regarding the spring. Here are some places to find parts for the 76', some parts are original some are reproductions. The 73' and 76' share many parts and the dust cover spring is one of those shared parts. Have fun with the 76'! What caliber is it? Mine is 45-60, I shot it this past fall in two matches that had a Tom Horn category at their annuals.

In regards to a repair manual, I'm not sure if you'll find one. It's essentially a large 73'. Several parts are interchangeable between the 73' and 76'. Arthur Pirkle's book "The Models of 1866, 1873 & 1876"  and  "The Winchester Book" are helpful, in regards to the correct variations between models, but not so much as repairing the rifle.  

Tully

image.png.c8998aacd377fb3cec14f56cda8f3ff0.png

https://homesteadparts.com/shop/winchester-1876-c-1_5.html

https://winchesterbob.com/

Mine is also a 45-60 and Smokedawg who I purchased it from is sending me the components to get loaded.  Been thinking to seriously get it restored by Turnbull, this and an 1887 Winchester shotgun are the oldest in my collection and I would really like to see the 1876 restored.  Just have to find a 1895 and my Winchester collection will be complete lever wise with originals and replicas.  I have a Navy Arms 1860, but the rest are original Winchesters or in the case of my 1866 & 1873, Moriku replicas.

8 hours ago, Nimble Fingers SASS# 25439 said:

Mine is also a 45-60 and Smokedawg who I purchased it from is sending me the components to get loaded.  Been thinking to seriously get it restored by Turnbull, this and an 1887 Winchester shotgun are the oldest in my collection and I would really like to see the 1876 restored.  Just have to find a 1895 and my Winchester collection will be complete lever wise with originals and replicas.  I have a Navy Arms 1860, but the rest are original Winchesters or in the case of my 1866 & 1873, Moriku replicas.

If you're truly going to send the 76' to Turnbull, let them take care of missing parts. I'm certain they have their sources or stockpile. I had been considering it with mine, but I've decided to leave it has it is for now.

Tully

1876.jpg

22 minutes ago, Tully Mars said:

If you're truly going to send the 76' to Turnbull, let them take care of missing parts. I'm certain they have their sources or stockpile. I had been considering it with mine, but I've decided to leave it has it is for now.

Tully

1876.jpg

Beautiful example. Reminds me of Paul Newman’s Hombre and Richard Bone’s Rio Concho rifles used although there were probably 1873’s. 

6 hours ago, Kid Rich said:

Instruction manuals can be found online as downloads, if you are interested let me know I will find the site they are on.

kR

I looked in “Bing” and got exploded drawings of the parts only. If you could that would be great. 

15 hours ago, King Medallion said:

Hombre's is a 73.

Ok was going from memory, looked the same as the ones in Rio Concho as well. Didn’t really think the would use 1876’s but you never know. 

Archived