SASS Wire Forum

OMV vs NMV Rugers???

Cholla

I need confirmation from the Ruger gunsmiths here. 

I had someone contact me about a Vaquero they just bought. They question the ejector head and cylinder and think it’s a mix of OMV and NMV parts. The serial number is from 1996 which puts it solidly in the original configuration but they feel the cylinder and ejector is from a New Vaquero. I can see replacing the ejector head with a crescent-shape head but I didn’t think a newer style cylinder would align properly chamber to cylinder. 
am I right or wrong?

You are correct, as far as I know.  I do not believe that the Old Model parts will fit in the New Model, and vice versa.  There is a significant size difference in the cylinders that would prevent the old from installing in the new, and even if the new fits into the old, the chambers would not be aligned with the barrel bore or firing pin.

The cylinders chambers are closer to the center (or axis) on the new models in order to scale them down closer to the SAA size. So a new model cylinder in an old model Vaquero  ( or vice versa) would not work, the chambers would not line up with the bore. And I don't think the OMV cylinder would even fit in the frame of a NMV.

Good luck, Pard!

Archived