SASS Wire Forum

Coated Bullets and Black Powder??? Article

Rancho Roy

We were discussing how "coated" bullets respond to black powder. I decided to do a little testing today. The results are too long for a post on this forum. I wrote an article about my results on my web page.  Hope you enjoy it!

http://rvbprecision.com/shooting/coated-bullets-and-black-powder.html

This photo is just one example...

P1040404 (2).png

Totally NOT concerned with the condition of the base of the bullet.  WHAT did the bore look like??  The combustion of Black Powder creates a cumulative amount of fouling in the bore that can be VERY crusty.  The Residue of APP or Black MZ or the Shooters World version of Black MZ, require no lubricant as they create their own lubricant.  With the APP based Subs, each round fired removes the previous round of residue.

Thanks for going to the time, effort and expense that went into your research and report. 

I had toyed with doing something much less elaborate and making a YouTube video. But I couldn't decide on how I was going to go about it. I may still try some out to see for myself.  

And what was accuracy after 50 rounds fired without cleaning?  And how did that compare to beginning of test?

See, I care only about the effects on getting lead onto targets.  I care much less how the bore condition ends up.  And little to none about any burning off the plastic coating on the base.

good luck, GJ

Archived