SASS Wire Forum

Thinking about adding a 20 Gauge.

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

I have recently discovered for sale a 20 gauge Parker.  The first number in its 4 digit price is NOT a crooked one, and given the rarity of that, (I'm STILL shocked that I found a 12 gauge for $800 2 years ago, even if it was a Trojan) I am seriously considering purchasing it.  I have not physically seen the gun yet, but I will probably go take a look at it this weekend.

I already load 20 gauge for use in my grandfather's pump gun he bought during WW2, so that's not a problem.  

Although I am normally a 97 guy, I have been known to shoot a SxS on occasion.   I have both an 18" and 30" Parker 12 gauge, I like 'em.

But, I don't think I've ever seen anyone using a 20 gauge at a cowboy shoot.  A quick check of the Handbook confirms that it is legal, but does anyone actually USE it?  Part of the reason I've considered trying 20 is very simple.   I haven't had a chance to reload and 12 for while, but have a healthy supply of ready to go 20 gauge shells that could get me through maybe 5 matches before I ran out.  (Not that I'd use it all up before I did start reloading, but it's nice to have options.)

Any thoughts on the matter?

If YOU like the gun and the Gauge, shoot it!

I shoot a Stoeger SxS 20 gauge or a 12 gauge Stoeger SxS. I take whichever one I feel like shooting that day. I reload both gauges, and use 7/8 oz. shot loads in each. Don't see a difference shooting wise. There are probably at least half a dozen shooters at one monthly match I go to that shoot 20 ga.

I've seen lots and lots of 20Ga coach guns at matches.  Most of the shooters make the same mistake.  Factory Target ammunition.  A 20 is lighter than a 12 and over the eons, wing shooters have asked the manufacturers to provide 20Ga ammo to compete with 12Ga.  The ammo folks were happy to oblige.  A.  Regardless of belief, "Target" ammunition is not "Light."  It is designed and loaded to break clay targets at 30+ yards.  Combine really heavy loading with a light gun and the 20 can be Brutal.

For our game, I have always recommended Fiocchi "Trainer" ammo as it is nicely light.  Or Reload.  Field or Target loads are way overkill and will beat you to death.

If you like the shotgun, definitely "GO FOR IT"

I shoot 20 and 12 interchangeably, both with smokeless and APP. The only real difference is that because both the gun and the empty hull are lighter than 12, the 20 takes a little more "shuck" to clear the empties. It will remind you very quickly if you get lazy.

When my daughter was living here at home and shooting with me, she shot a 20g. She moved out, got married, gave me a granddaughter, and one day I discovered I had a 5 gallon bucket full of 20g shells still, so I bought a single trigger 20g Baikal Bounty Hunter II, timed the cocking levers, honed the chambers, etc., and have shot it almost exclusively for the past two years. Earlier this year, I cut down a 20g Stoeger Uplander I bought three years ago, NIB, for $225, because, dang, gotta have a backup, doncha know. :P 

While not as popular as 12 ga. many folks shoot 20 ga doubles for cowboy action.  As to effectiveness, many folks also load their 12 ga. shells down to 20 ga specs. with 12 ga. - 7/8 oz. loads being fairly common.  I'm not sure I'd buy a shotgun just because I have some shells already loaded, but agree with the others here in that if you like the gun and can get it for a reasonable price, then go for it.  Parkers are generally dang fine shotguns, maybe a bit too fine for cowboy, at least in my opinion.  Good luck and good shooting to all.   

Kaya shoots a 20 and makes it look easy. A couple others around here do too. Finding yellow hills in a trash bucket is like finding gold. We are always on the lookout for STS and AA hulls.

HaHa...snickersnicker....nobody shoots twenny gauge in CAS. That's rich. I started with a 26" Rossi hammered double in 20 (dang, I sure miss that'N) I know many other shooters do and I've gone through two episodes of proscribing twenties in my own armory. The first time was a while back when I was sure my son, who was a little tyke back then was going to go straight from 410 to 12ga-lites. I'd done up a special 97 for him with a short stock and a dead mule that he liked. I sold all of the twennys the "theeory" being I didn't want the smaller shells to work its way into a shell bag for 12's. (we all's shoot more than one shootin' game)

Then I found me a sweet little Stoeger uplander supreme single trigger. That of course led to other irons and I was back in the twenny game. Crap.

Then a couple years ago, AFTER I'd managed to sell off all of the twenny's AGAIN lol, along with some other stuff to thin down the armory to A make room and B use that for other iron.....a guy came into the gun shop I was workin' at with a sweet little 1100. Trap. Now anyone who knows me knows I have a weakness akin to a gamblin' addiction when it comes to iron, 'specially certain kinds like...."Leven Hunnerts.

After that it would seem "someone" took a special interest in aim'n people with good twenny deals at me that I just couldn't pass up so now that "first" 1100 has a few brothers and a sister....LOL. Good thing I "found" all that twenny gauge I plum forgot about in the back of my sheds when I cleaned last year.

Yeah. Twenty shoots a mite less shot than 12. Quarter, half ounce, something like that. Shot pattern is a little smaller, but not by much. Never did much scientific but just shootin games, them twenny's bust as much clay as a 12 if the shooter does their part. Recoil is a bit less and the smaller shells mean ya can carry more. Sorta. Ya, I'm keepin' them tweenys this time

Love me some 20 gauge.

But, I gotta say, my 20 gauge double kicks like a Missouri mule...even worse than my 12 gauge double. 

I am sure it is because it is lighter. 

I shoot it, occasionally, just to check if I have any loose fillings. 

But it is a different story, since I started reloading my shells with black powder. 

If you love the 20...and it's C.A.S. legal, then go for it. The foundation/bottom line, of C.A.S., is having fun. It's easier to have fun if you are using something you love, and prefer.  

Archived