SASS Wire Forum

Alec Baldwin Shot and Killed Female Cinematographer, Injured Director on Movie Set

Buckshot Bear

A tragedy occurred on the set of the latest Alec Baldwin movie where the actor reportedly accidentally shot and killed a female cinematographer and injured the director due to a prop gun misfire.

https://www.breitbart.com/entertainment/2021/10/21/alec-baldwin-accidentally-shot-and-killed-female-cinematographer-injured-director-on-movie-set/?fbclid=IwAR1wTU3_6VomF8i5CEENkZOResN7oNip0Bg3RDqStnJbxeKTZ8PnjL12ASw

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was just listening to this on Fox, hmmm wonder what happened?

Guess we’ll have to wait for the investigation. This is too bad, a tragedy for sure. 
Prayers  up for the woman who died.:(

I’m not sure about this but I read a long time ago that they will occasionally use live rounds for effect when shooting at props, could one of those live  rounds got mixed up in the blanks? Just a thought,

29 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I’m not sure about this but I read a long time ago that they will occasionally use live rounds for effect when shooting at props, could one of those live  rounds got mixed up in the blanks? Just a thought,

There are a lot of ways that “prop guns” can cause harm on a movie set.  

But like in the world of real guns which we all work, accidents are preventable.

By SAG work rules there’s supposed to be an armorer on set anytime guns are used, but that still doesn’t stop tragic but preventable accidents.  Look up Brandon Lee and Jon-Erik Hexum for the two most famous incidents.

Can’t stomach Baldwin but wouldn’t wish this on anyone. Prayers for that poor lady and her family, you just never know....

Sources told Deadline, which initially reported that the incident occurred when Baldwin reportedly “cocked a gun during a rehearsal, unaware that there were live rounds in it, hitting two people, a man and a woman.” Representatives for Baldwin, a rabid anti-gun demagogue, did not immediately respond to media requests for comment.

OK, a western, presumably a single action revolver, how does he hit two people?  

20 minutes ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

There are a lot of ways that “prop guns” can cause harm on a movie set.  

But like in the world of real guns which we all work, accidents are preventable.

By SAG work rules there’s supposed to be an armorer on set anytime guns are used, but that still doesn’t stop tragic but preventable accidents.  Look up Brandon Lee and Jon-Erik Hexum for the two most famous incidents.

Okay, how can a prop gun with blanks kill someone? Wouldn't it have to be almost directly in the face? 

17 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

OK, a western, presumably a single action revolver, how does he hit two people?  

Given that it was the cinematographer and director they were presumably standing next to each other or one behind the other.   I'm guessing it was supposed to be a camera shot of Baldwin firing the gun at the camera with a blank and somehow a live round was put into a gun.

I despise Baldwin, but unless he did something wrong or reckless (and I have no reason to believe he did), not even he deserves to have this happen to him.

I also thought if Alec knew anything about guns he would have recognized the recoil of a live round as opposed to a blank. I've shot blanks before there's literally no recoil to speak of.

That said I'm not blaming him even though he's a scumbag!:angry:

Firearms Rule #1 - Treat all firearms as if they are loaded.

Firearms Rule #2 - Never point/discharge a firearm at anything that you don't wish to destroy. 

If this idiot had followed either one of these rules, this accident could have been prevented.

My thoughts go out to the families and friends of the deceased and injured.

PS, Blank rounds fired at close range (2' - 5') can be and have been fatal. See Charlie Harley's post about Jon-Erik Hexum.

Even asshole actors should check guns to see if they are loaded.  People with no gun knowledge at all who work with or around firearms should be taught and practice at least the minimum of firearm safety.  My people taught me that “all guns are loaded, all the time”.  Can’t go wrong with that.

That harsh admonition aside,  prayers for the ladies family.  It is very sad.

ML

Prayers for all involved.

Something like this affects EVERYONE who was near and witnesses such a tragic event.

While helping load BLANKS for local mounted shooting matches, the blanks don't look any different when looking at the primer end...

Something went terribly wrong with the procedures of using a prop gun.

Not the first time...and hate to say, it probably won't be the last.

I just pray that life lost was not because of a puposely staged, political agenda.:(

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I also thought if Alec knew anything about guns he would have recognized the recoil of a live round as opposed to a blank

Which he would know AFTER he fired, not before.

YohanaquaPosted 18 minutes ago

Even asshole actors should check guns to see if they are loaded.

1.) He was handed a firearm by the propmaster.  It is supposed to have blanks in it.  
2.) I suspect, but don't know for certain, that actors are strongly discouraged from unloading a "prop gun" to check to make sure that all the rounds are blanks.

2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Okay, how can a prop gun with blanks kill someone? Wouldn't it have to be almost directly in the face? 

“Prop guns” simply mean any gun used on the set of a theatrical production. Most are fully functioning guns perfectly capable of firing live ammo. 

I won’t speculate on what happened here. It’s too soon, and a tragedy for all involved. 

But here’s a good summary of the accident that killed Brandon Lee. It was a long and bizarre chain of events. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandon_Lee

P.S.  I spent several years doing stage work as a prop master, including a few productions with weapons. I was maniacal about safety with my actors. 

A friend was doing a western-themed production and asked to borrow my Vaqueros. As soon as he said they’d be “perfectly safe” because they were “only using blanks”, I declined his request. He had not a clue. 

Wouldn’t stop me.  When life and death are in the balance, we have the ultimate responsibility to be absolutely sure.  This is what sets us apart and is our duty to set an example as responsible gun handlers.

1 minute ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

I’m embarrassed how much that made me laugh. 

I wasn’t, because he’s the type of person who discourages teaching firearms safety in schools.

Every grade school kid should have a firearms safety course , it wouldn’t eliminate tragedy’s like this but it would go a long way to reducing them . 

The latest article that I read said that the gun was loaded with live ammo. It didn't say why. The shot was a through and through, killing the woman and injuring the director.  Baldwin's first reaction was, "Why was I handed a hot gun?"

I can't understand how he could have NOT known that it was hot. 

And yes, I too laughed at the meme.

Some of you might not want to blame Baldwin, but where does the blame belong?     Surely you don't 

think the GUN needs the blame!

Somebody loaded the gun with 'something'.   Somebody fired it and Somebody died.

The gun didn't load itselfowndangself and it surely didn't fire itsowndangself.

Accident or not............ Baldwin is at the center of this.    

That poster above is very befitting of someone who has tried to take away MY freedoms with his

self righteous arrogance.

..........Widder

When I point a firearm and pull the trigger I am responsible for where the round goes.  No excuses, ever.

I was trained, and have trained others, that this is an absolute truth.

37 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Some of you might not want to blame Baldwin, but where does the blame belong?     Surely you don't 

Nobody is saying the gun is to blame, but I’ll also say that Mr Baldwin, the actor, is not to blame. He’s an idiot, a hypocrite, a narcissist, and generally a zit on the butt of humanity. But actors get paid to act, which is to say they create false impressions for the paying audience’s entertainment. ie, they are professional liars.

However, Alec Baldwin, the movie’s producer, is ultimately at fault. The producer is the head person of the whole production. They’re responsible for the entire crew’s performance, including that of the armorer. Leadership roles have their responsibilities and rewards. Something broke down within this production, and the producer’s name is on the blame line. 

2 minutes ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

Nobody is saying the gun is to blame, but I’ll also say that Mr Baldwin, the actor, is not to blame. He’s an idiot, a hypocrite, a narcissist, and generally a zit on the butt of humanity. But actors get paid to act, which is to say they create false impressions for the paying audience’s entertainment. ie, they are professional liars.

However, Alec Baldwin, the movie’s producer, is ultimately at fault. The producer is the head person of the whole production. They’re responsible for the entire crew’s performance, including that of the armorer. Leadership roles have their responsibilities and rewards. Something broke down within this production, and the producer’s name is on the blame line. 

I would disagree, he’s as much to blame as the armorer/prop guy . No different than if he was going to act out a knife fight and someone handed him a sharp knife and he cut or stabbed someone. If you’re the end user your responsibility. 
I know if someone hands me a gun the first thing I want to know Is if it’s loaded or not . 

9 minutes ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

the producer’s name is on the blame line.

The armorer will be first in line as having direct blame.  The producer has blame the same way that the owner of any company is responsible for the actions of his employees.  Of course if it is found that the armorer is not "proper" in one way or another, or if the firearms were prepared by somebody other than the armorer and anybody knew about it, then more heads will be on the block.  IMHO

Not being "in the industry" I dont know, but I wouldn't expect the film's insurance company would allow the actors to unload and reload their gun to "ensure it is loaded properly with blanks".  That is why the film company hires a professional armorer.

3 minutes ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

Not being "in the industry" I dont know, but I wouldn't expect the film's insurance company would allow the actors to unload and reload their gun to "ensure it is loaded properly with blanks".  That is why the film company hires a professional armorer.

Exactly. To us it is reflexive to check a gun’s condition. That vast majority of actors are not us. 
That’s why there’s the role of Armorer when needed on the set. 

Horrible result for the victims and their families and friends. As far as not giving Baldwin a hard time, he would be relentlessly ridiculing someone else if they were a known conservative supporter of the previous administration. He'd be on Saturday Night Live performing skits about it.

1 minute ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

The armorer will be first in line as having direct blame.  The producer has blame the same way that the owner of any company is responsible for the actions of his employees.  Of course if it is found that the armorer is not "proper" in one way or another, or if the firearms were prepared by somebody other than the armorer and anybody knew about it, then more heads will be on the block.  IMHO

There’s tons on different scenarios in movies . The armorer on the set where John Eric Hexum killed himself went to the same gunsmithing school I did . I didn’t know him but spoke to people who did and had talked to him about it . Apparently he was about to hand the gun back to him and jokingly put the gun to his head and pulled the trigger. Not realizing that hot flaming gases were still going to come out of the end of the bbl . I was told he blew a plug of his skull into his brain. 
Some prop guns have plugged barrels, maybe he was used to those . But the end user needs to understand what they are using. Both are work place accidents because of carelessness and probably not enough education on proper safety practices 

14 minutes ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

Exactly. To us it is reflexive to check a gun’s condition. That vast majority of actors are not us. 
That’s why there’s the role of Armorer when needed on the set. 

The production crew was from New Mexico, but the union representing among others, armorers, IATSE, has stated that no Local 44 members were on the call sheet.

2 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Somebody loaded the gun with 'something'.   Somebody fired it and Somebody died.

The gun didn't load itselfowndangself and it surely didn't fire itsowndangself.

Accident or not............ Baldwin is at the center of this.    

That poster above is very befitting of someone who has tried to take away MY freedoms with his

self righteous arrogance.

..........Widder

+1

I don't know what happened and my heart goes out to the families. 

Having said that...

Baldwin is a grown adult who has made a living using guns in his movies. He should absolutely know you don't point a gun at anyone.

I also am not buying that the two victims were behind the camera. I would think if they were going for "the shot", they would setup the camera and step aside before calling for action. 

Just saying...

Ole Alec deserves every bit of whatever appropriate legal blame can head his way.

He gets no sympathy from me.  His prior actions and statements stand as a testament to his violent tendencies and his hatred of the Second Amendment.  He stands completely for depriving law-abiding Americans of their freedoms.  If any of us had such a horrific incident happen to us ole Alec would be Twitting about how ignorant we are. 

He was the producer, so even if it was a propmaster/armorer failure...he hired them.  He is responsible.  He pulled the trigger and his deliberate action killed someone.  

His Hollywood status should not give him a pass in the eyes of the law.  Unfortunately in Wujan Luhan's state it may very well...

Archived