SASS Wire Forum

Ratcheting charging handle

Trigger Mike

I bought a bar a few years ago to pry open bolts on AR style firearms. Fits 15 size on one end and 10 size on the other. Don't remember where I got it but works great for both. Flat black steel about 18" long. Stick it up through the magazine well and use it as a lever to force the bolt open. A lot better than breaking charging handles beating the butstock on a table or the ground.

Is this for clearing fired cases, or for clearing oversized ammo that got shoved in the chamber and now you can't get it out?

Seems like for the first it would be simpler to drop a cleaning rod down the barrel into the case, and then tap it back with a hammer.

I have never needed anything like this but I do not use imported, cheap or old ammo either. Well, I guess I should imported from anywhere but Israel.

Never needed one.

But like Pat, I use good ammo.

Nor am I expected to go into combat, picking up ammo that the deceased zombies left in the mud.

Just another example of a company trying to make more money off of people who want the latest "cool" toy.

3 hours ago, Happy Jack, SASS #20451 said:

I bought a bar a few years ago to pry open bolts on AR style firearms. Fits 15 size on one end and 10 size on the other. Don't remember where I got it but works great for both. Flat black steel about 18" long. Stick it up through the magazine well and use it as a lever to force the bolt open. A lot better than breaking charging handles beating the butstock on a table or the ground.

Be interested in seeing one of those       GW

47 minutes ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

From stories I've heard, my dad could have used one of these in 1968....  

Wouldn't have done him any good. The problem back then was cases gluing to the inside of the chamber. Trying to force them out often resulted in ripping off the back of the case and leaving the rest in the barrel.

4 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Wouldn't have done him any good.

Maybe not, but anything is worth a try when your US issued combat rifle becomes a plastic and aluminum club.

He was a M60 gunner in the back of a gun truck running convoys to fire bases.  He likes to tell of one day when in the middle of an ambush the firing pin broke on the M60.  So he grabbed his M-16 and said he got one single shot off before it jammed.  Still in the ambush and driving fast as they could to get themselves and the rest of the convoy out of there, all he had left was a M79, which apparently isn't the easiest to aim when you are shooting out the side of a truck moving pretty fast.

He still doesn't trust AR's.  He fired one mag thru mine once and handed it back to me.  If I mention that I took it to the range, his first question is always "how many times did it jam?" (to the best of my recollection, it has never jammed).  He has given away, sold or put in the back of the safe any rifle that he has owned that has had jamming issues, regardless of the cause.  

4 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

I got an email today from Springfield armory about their latest product, a ratcheting charging handle for when you use cheap ammo in an ar-15 and can't clear the rifle .

Just got around to catching up on Emails.    Got the same one.  Interesting idea, but at $100 would rather put that towards supplies .   A case checker comes to mind         GW

23 hours ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

He was a M60 gunner in the back of a gun truck running convoys to fire bases.  He likes to tell of one day when in the middle of an ambush the firing pin broke on the M60.  So he grabbed his M-16 and said he got one single shot off before it jammed.

Yup, that was very typical. You'd get one shot off and the case would immediately fail to extract. I believe the main cause was attributed to the change in gunpowder in the .223 ammo creating an imbalance in the dwell timing of the gas system of the M16. The case would try to extract while there was still pressure in the chamber, causing it to either stick or have the rim torn off by the extractor. Once the cause was found and corrected the M16 because fairly reliable, but obviously that didn't help the guys in combat who were killed when their weapons failed them.

Archived