SASS Wire Forum

Jack for lifted truck

Trigger Mike

I just bought a truck and it came with a 6 inch lift and 37 inch tires on 18 inch wheels.  The spare it came with is the same size.  It is a specialty truck.  It came with a stock jack.  What type jack would I need to change the tire with?

Go to TSC and check out their high lift agricultural jack.  Lots of the 4WD guys use ‘em!!

(Tractor Supply for you city folks!)

Out here near Moab most of the Jeepers carry a highlift like Blackwater mentioned (highlift brand is the best)  For the biggest  trucks look at the following:   roughcountry.com   offroadpowerproducts.com   4wheelparts.com    offroadwarehouse.com

I don't know how to post "links"

The above is also used in Fencing, to Tighten Wire .

Here is Cow Country Alberta where 3,500,000 Cows out number the 12,000 Folk.

Jabez Cowboy

3 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Go to TSC and check out their high lift agricultural jack.  Lots of the 4WD guys use ‘em!!

(Tractor Supply for you city folks!)

That's what I use.

Carry a 12"x12" X 1" board with it for soft dirt.

OLG 

3 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Reminds me of the old "bumper jacks" every car came equipped with when I was a kid.  Those came with a part that matched the car's bumper.  A fair system at best, with the  flimsy bumpers of the period.

So with this modern version, what the heck do you use for a "lift point" on a basic pickup type vehicle?  'Specially the front end??  :huh:

1 minute ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

So with this modern version, what the heck do you use for a "lift point" on a basic pickup type vehicle?  'Specially the front end??  :huh:

Most people that 'wheel will have a decent steel bumper replacing the plastic garbage that the factory installs. A lot of 4X4 trucks have towing or lifting eyes that a jack could get hold of.  

2 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

...... mobile phone and the "right" phone number ...... ?   :huh:

I was going to buy my son-in-law a high lift jack for his birthday, since he had a Ford Explorer. He asked me what we were doing at the store, and I told him, and he told me he did not need one. He did not go off-road, and if he got a flat tire he called the auto club.

When I was visiting my daughter she got a flat in her minivan and called me to come assist. I could not find any place to put the jack. When I returned home I got in touch with high lift and ask them how you're supposed to do that with the new vehicles with their plastic bumpers. They make an attachment it hooks on the two lug nuts, and you pick the car up at the wheel. Then you get your jack stand, because you should always have a jack stand, and put that under the axle, so you can take your jack off of the wheel, so you can change the tire.

A scrap piece of 2x12 (it's about 12x14) for a base and used brick for a wheel chock stays in the truck. 

The brick is just throwed in the bed since it ain't like somebody's going to steal an old used brick while the 2x12 is in the bottom of the tool box under the tool bags to keep it from rotting away.

There's also an old shower curtain liner in a ziplock bag on the passenger's side of the toolbox, too.  I've only changed 1 tire in the last 35 years in a parking lot when it was bright and sunny.  That heavy plastic shower curtain liner is handy to have when it's pouring the rain down and you're on your knees in the red mud on the side of the road trying to change a tire (which never happens when you're wearing work clothes, only when you're dressed nice) and it's big enough to keep you relatively (or at least out of most of the mud) if you have to lay down and work underneath the truck for some reason.

Last year between my daughter and wife's car we had 3 flats in 2 weeks.  Reminded me of when I was a kid and could only afford used tires from the gas station that were $10 a tire.  I had constant flats.  I still have ptsd from it.  

The  board makes sense.  4 years ago I had a flat on my dirt driveway and the jack sank in the sand.  

Archived