SASS Wire Forum

Shipping Muzzleloading Blackpowder Firearms to TN

Cholla

There seems to be a great deal of mis-information on the shipping  muzzleloader to TN. I always thought TN was a gun-friendly state so I assume the reason why some companies won’t ship there is company policy and not government regulations. 
Any TN FFL out there that can verify that I can legally mail a BP muzzleloader pistol kit to a TN resident?

As long as the ATF does not consider it a firearm; pack it up and ship it via USPS 3 day priority mail direct to the recipient. TN does not have any restrictions that differ from what the ATF requires. No requirement to do so but when I ship to a private individual I request an adult signature because of the prevalence of Porch Pirates.

ATF - State Laws and Published Ordinances – Tennessee

BTW Some modern muzzle loaders are considered firearms by the ATF. You'll have to research the ATF website to get the list of specific models.

1 minute ago, Sedalia Dave said:

BTW Some modern muzzle loaders are considered firearms by the ATF. You'll have to research the ATF website to get the list of specific models.

This really should not be so complicated.

As I understand the law, it says antiques are pre 1899 and replicas. That's why a brand new Uberti 1860 Colt is an antique. It's a replica. That's why Thompson Center Hawken or a CVA Mountain Rifle is an antique. It's a replica.

But an inline, bolt action, "uses a shotgun primer for ignition" rifle is not a replica, whether it uses black powder or smokeless powder. The pertinent word is REPLICA.

I can’t quote you scripture and verse, but I have shipped and received muzzle loading pistols and rifles for 40+ years here in Tennessee with NO issues.  

23 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Cities cannot preempt state laws in Tennessee. 
https://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-gun-laws/tennessee/

There was a time when that was true in California, too... when then-Mayor Dianne Feinstein tried it in San Francisco, it was overturned.

Nowadays I suspect San Francisco or Los Angeles or Sackamenna or whatever-danged-place can do pretty much whatever they danged want to.  <_<

2 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

There was a time when that was true in California, too... when then-Mayor Dianne Feinstein tried it in San Francisco, it was overturned.

Nowadays I suspect San Francisco or Los Angeles or Sackamenna or whatever-danged-place can do pretty much whatever they danged want to.  <_<

Truer words were never spoken.

19 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

In Tennessee. California is another story. 

On 10/20/2021 at 9:41 PM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Cities cannot preempt state laws in Tennessee. 
https://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-gun-laws/tennessee/

Ohio is the same.

On 10/22/2021 at 6:54 AM, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Sometimes, it seems like it's another planet.

Twilight Zone.  :mellow:

Archived