SASS Wire Forum

Lever Leather Wraps

Buckshot Bear

What did you use to wrap your lever (if you have) did you just simply wind a leather strip around it or did

you purchase one of the wrap kits that are offered from different vendors?

I'm looking at the one from Palo Verde but its a little pricey in Oz but looks good in the pics, it comes with its on DVD with instructions for installing it.

https://maddogsgunsandgear.com/product/palo-verde-lever-wrap/

I bought a kit from Ricochet Roy, off his website. 

It is precut, has the stitching holes, has the thread, a couple of leather needles, instructions, and you can choose your color.

Some just make them from scratch, with their own leather, leather needles, thread, etc. 

I have done leatherwork since 1964, and have the tools, but I was lazy and and just bought the kit.

Just my 2 bits,

I just used a length of leather/suede lace from the craft store and put a length of neoprene/closed cell foam under the lace inside the loop for padding before I wrapped the lever.

CK :)

3 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Scroll down to the leather wraps. I’ve bought two of these. High quality and video is online. 

http://www.pioneergunworks.com/leather-goods-1

Thanks Abilene Slim, his rifle butt covers look good as well. Appreciated mate!

10 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Thanks Abilene Slim, his rifle butt covers look good as well. Appreciated mate!

I also bought a rifle butt cover for a ‘73 carbine. Nice quality but was a really tight fit that didn’t conform completely to the squared off top the butt. I eventually got it on, but the laces don’t fully close underneath. Doesn’t bother me enough to do anything about it. Shouldn’t be a problem with a standard butt. 

I done both.  I've used a leather shoelace as a wrap and it worked fine.  I've had wraps custom made and used wraps from Merinckle.  All seem about the same.  If you have a leather worker in Oz, I'm sure they could put something together for you pretty easily.

Made some out of leather from an old boot.    Laced up with leather shoe lace       GW

17 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Now that's economic! 

I call it cheap    GW

Leather wraps made by Palo Verde and Kirkpatrick.   Satisfied with both.  The Palo Verde wrap fills more of the lever and looks more finished.  The Kirkpatrick is less expensive and quite easy to install.

good luck, GJ

4 hours ago, G W Wade said:

Made some out of leather from an old boot.    Laced up with leather shoe lace       GW

Fairly good swede leather, buckskin color, can be gotten from an $8 Harbor Freight welding apron. But they're sometimes pieced together from smaller scraps, so don't expect to get a pair of good looking chaps for $16.  For small projects or lacing leather, they are OK.  

Wow, you guys work way too hard.

Punching and sewing and thread, etc.

I went to Tandy (leather craft chain store), bought a roll of seude leather about the same width as the lever opening front to rear.

Wrapped the first layer; laid a bead of Elmers glue between each layer and the next and continued until I was satisfied with thickness (a continuous loop thru the lever with glue securing each pass).

Cut it when Im happy - Glue the final edge and call it a day

Have wrapped four or five 73's, a 66, Marlin 94 and 1887 shotgun in this manner and not one has unrolled or come apart.

With the added benefit of easily adding layers for adjusting thickness for Painted Lady or Desert Scorpion when they moved to different guns.

With a grand investment of maybe $10 for all of them.

5 hours ago, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

What do you all do to protect the metal from rust with your wrap?

I've seen a fair amount of damage on some levers.

Honestly, I've never thought about it before.  Mine are usually soaked up pretty well and stained with various cleaners and oils.  

My first CAS rifle was a Browning 92. It had the bottom half of the lever wrapped with several layers of leather lacing like shoelaces. Then it was covered in several coats of lacquer to keep everything in place. Worked well for me for six or seven years.

I bought a bag of scrap leather from a hobby store along with a pack of leather sewing needles and some synthetic sinew and made my own.I've had other shooters ask where I got it and have made them for others.

The one from Palo Verde is 1st class, really, we are worried about saving $ on a lever wrap when we have got thousands of $ tied up in guns, leather and clothes.

Buy the best from Palo Verde Gun Works, comes with a video on how to lace it on, all of my lever guns have them.

https://pvgunworks.com/product/lever-wrap/

TB

Used the leather boot lace on my henry golden boy, was there for about 3 years, never ever shot in the rain and just recently went to replace it, yep lever was rusty as all get out. So I checked all my other rifles and found no rust under my ricochet roy or palo verde wraps,    Something in the leather i guess.

Checked two Marlins and one uberti that had all been done with the leather lace boot strings, no rust issues… not sure if the leather was different or it was just a Henry thing……I’m sure all were oiled good prior to wrapping..

• 2 weeks later...

Oil tanned leather will not absorb as much, if any, water compared to vegetable tanned leather. I shoot BP so I made me some wraps that snap on and off for cleaning.

16 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Received the Palo Verde.

Very nice, as I would expect.

Archived