Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

More ideas for publicity and (maybe) growth


Recommended Posts

I was looking thru the pinned tab that talks about the history of SASS and has a ton of pictures of our past shooters - in my perusal; it struck me the number of "celebrities" that have attended matches and played alongside us.

Couldn't we attempt to recover some of that star power again?

There is a new generation of singers/ actors/ influencers - not all of them are anti gun - an appearance at a big match or even getting guns into their hands and shooting a stage might go a long ways toward attracting their fans. 

 

Over the last few years there have been a number of western (and action) films released.

Why are we not inviting their cast members to attend a match?

I know some are going to be hypocrites (I use a gun to play pretend - but would never fire one for real) but there are some that are Pro Gun.

 I don't know (or pretend to know) any certain persons politics or beliefs, but with a history as Buster Scruggs and now Old Henry - I would love to see Tim Blake Nelson come to a match (and the attendant publicity).

Kurt Russell has played cowboys in the past and is known to be pro gun - have we invited him?

I have watched the Youtube videos of Keanu  and Halle Berry live fire training for John Wick - wouldn't it be cool to see them on a cowboy range?

I probably wouldn't reach out to Mark Ruffalo; but all of the Avengers cannot be anti gun - Jeremy Renner and Chris Pratt are supposed to be pro gun.  

Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie are known to be pro gun.

Quentin Tarantino has said he would like his last movie to be a comedy western - an invite to a Cowboy shoot might be the impetus he uses.

A public invite to the cast of the new western, "The Harder They Fall" would go a long way toward bringing a new demographic into our game if it were successful.

 

Somebody in our game has to know somebody who knows somebody to get these invites out there.

Maybe this would bring some attention to our game.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Several "Country" music singers are pro-gun too.  Maybe we should figure out how to get Travis Tritt to Georgia State and/or SE Regional since he lives near Atlanta.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

I was looking thru the pinned tab that talks about the history of SASS and has a ton of pictures of our past shooters - in my perusal; it struck me the number of "celebrities" that have attended matches and played alongside us.

Couldn't we attempt to recover some of that star power again?

There is a new generation of singers/ actors/ influencers - not all of them are anti gun - an appearance at a big match or even getting guns into their hands and shooting a stage might go a long ways toward attracting their fans. 

 

Over the last few years there have been a number of western (and action) films released.

Why are we not inviting their cast members to attend a match?

I know some are going to be hypocrites (I use a gun to play pretend - but would never fire one for real) but there are some that are Pro Gun.

 I don't know (or pretend to know) any certain persons politics or beliefs, but with a history as Buster Scruggs and now Old Henry - I would love to see Tim Blake Nelson come to a match (and the attendant publicity).

Kurt Russell has played cowboys in the past and is known to be pro gun - have we invited him?

I have watched the Youtube videos of Keanu  and Halle Berry live fire training for John Wick - wouldn't it be cool to see them on a cowboy range?

I probably wouldn't reach out to Mark Ruffalo; but all of the Avengers cannot be anti gun - Jeremy Renner and Chris Pratt are supposed to be pro gun.  

Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie are known to be pro gun.

Quentin Tarantino has said he would like his last movie to be a comedy western - an invite to a Cowboy shoot might be the impetus he uses.

A public invite to the cast of the new western, "The Harder They Fall" would go a long way toward bringing a new demographic into our game if it were successful.

 

Somebody in our game has to know somebody who knows somebody to get these invites out there.

Maybe this would bring some attention to our game.

Interesting idea.  Celebrity endorsement is used to promote everything else.  Why not CAS?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Change usually results from need or unfavorable experience.  As long as dues continue getting paid and clubs continue requiring major organization membership in order to shoot big matches, I doubt any marketing or other  improvement effort will be seen.  

Edited by Dusty Devil Dale
Link to comment
Share on other sites

   Ok. Ok. Buy me a nanner split and I'll come to your match.:ph34r:

 

   So, I'm not in good with the IN crowd but I see people who try to make money off SASS and I see people who try to make money for SASS. The later not literally but figuratively. He's the cowboy that helps save his local club money. He's the cowboy trying to get non members to come out and join his local club. He's the cowboy helping out at the range. Usually he's the cowboy working on the posse(be it picking brass, spotting, or setting up). By helping his local affiliated SASS club, he helps SASS in the big picture. 

Then you have what I call the sitters. That's pretty self explanatory. They like to reap the benefits, while putting in little effort other than the entrance fee. It takes both to make the world go 'round, but I'd rather have minimal sitters! Forgive me if my rant was a bit off-topic.

 

Disclaimer: This reply is not directed at any group or individuals. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

   Ok. Ok. Buy me a nanner split and I'll come to your match.:ph34r:

 

   So, I'm not in good with the IN crowd but I see people who try to make money off SASS and I see people who try to make money for SASS. The later not literally but figuratively. He's the cowboy that helps save his local club money. He's the cowboy trying to get non members to come out and join his local club. He's the cowboy helping out at the range. Usually he's the cowboy working on the posse(be it picking brass, spotting, or setting up). By helping his local affiliated SASS club, he helps SASS in the big picture. 

Then you have what I call the sitters. That's pretty self explanatory. They like to reap the benefits, while putting in little effort other than the entrance fee. It takes both to make the world go 'round, but I'd rather have minimal sitters! Forgive me if my rant was a bit off-topic.

 

Disclaimer: This reply is not directed at any group or individuals. 

I'm not going to copy/ paste you anymore if you're going to call me names.

 

But I promise a nanner split if you ever make it out here to Las Vegas.

We will call the shoot

"Desserts in the Desert"

  • Like 3
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Out of curiosity. Them pictures from "back in the day" with the Carradines, Keechs, Kareem, Dale and Roy, et al, were those celebs paid for their appearances? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Let s pretend there are unicorns for a minute. Then we can fantasize that an actor would attend a major match at no cost.

Then we'll need a film crew or people who know how to make a video without using an IPhone. $$$

Then in order for this to be effective it needs to get out to national programs or publications. Putting it in the Chronicle or Facebook etc will get you a very low return.

Commercials on sports shows, or prime time, approximately $125,000 per minute in small markets. As in not LA, Atlanta, Chicago etc.

 

This is a $500,000+++ venture without paying the actors

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Hendo said:

Out of curiosity. Them pictures from "back in the day" with the Carradines, Keechs, Kareem, Dale and Roy, et al, were those celebs paid for their appearances? 

I wasn't there, but I understand from some folks who were there that they celebrity actors were not paid.   The championship match was held at a venue (Norco?) fairly near Hollywood, and adjacent to huge population centers.  The western actors just showed up for the publicity and fun.   In those days visitors numbered in thousands.  Snakebite and others were there.  They can correct me as needed.  

But what a difference the venue made, compared with Founders Ranch/Moriarty or later locations.   To draw crowds, you need nearby population.   

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

Let s pretend there are unicorns for a minute. Then we can fantasize that an actor would attend a major match at no cost.

Then we'll need a film crew or people who know how to make a video without using an IPhone. $$$

Then in order for this to be effective it needs to get out to national programs or publications. Putting it in the Chronicle or Facebook etc will get you a very low return.

Commercials on sports shows, or prime time, approximately $125,000 per minute in small markets. As in not LA, Atlanta, Chicago etc.

 

This is a $500,000+++ venture without paying the actors

I think what Creeker is driving at is trying to attract some celebrity western folks to our major events, then let them spread our message in their publicity, without cost to us.  That's how it used to happen. 

 

There certainly were no celebrity unicorns at Founders Ranch, and I seriously doubt they will be attracted to Akron.  Getting them at our events is about location, location and location. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

I wasn't there, but I understand from some folks who were there that they celebrity actors were not paid.   The championship match was held at a venue (Norco?) fairly near Hollywood, and adjacent to huge population centers.  The western actors just showed up for the publicity and fun.   In those days visitors numbered in thousands.  Snakebite and others were there.  They can correct me as needed.  

But what a difference the venue made, compared with Founders Ranch/Moriarty or later locations.   To draw crowds, you need nearby population.   

Raahauges in Norco.

 

Was the Coto Cowboys...then after EOT 2004 and the "Departure" of SASS, become The Cowboys.

 

Believe they had 25,000 non-shooting attendees in 2004...not only do you need a large population, but you need a population that see "Cowboy" as something out of the normal days existence. 

 

But...whatever...is what it is.

 

Phantom

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

Let s pretend there are unicorns for a minute. Then we can fantasize that an actor would attend a major match at no cost.

Then we'll need a film crew or people who know how to make a video without using an IPhone. $$$

Then in order for this to be effective it needs to get out to national programs or publications. Putting it in the Chronicle or Facebook etc will get you a very low return.

Commercials on sports shows, or prime time, approximately $125,000 per minute in small markets. As in not LA, Atlanta, Chicago etc.

 

This is a $500,000+++ venture without paying the actors

Lets pretend for a moment that there are folks that have any productive input.

But No, it is so much more fun to stand on the sidelines and throw stones. 

Im sure everyone is deeply impressed when folks only response is to poke holes and say impossible.

 

I have no record of any idea that has ever popped into existence as a perfect fully formed concept that accounted for every roadblock and challenge. 

But a journey must begin somewhere.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Lets pretend for a moment that there are folks that have any productive input.

But No, it is so much more fun to stand on the sidelines and throw stones. 

Im sure everyone is deeply impressed when folks only response is to poke holes and say impossible.

 

I have no record of any idea that has ever popped into existence as a perfect fully formed concept that accounted for every roadblock and challenge. 

But a journey must begin somewhere.

I would think that a logical promotion thru the use of Celebrities would partner somehow with a movie outfit that was producing a Western...thinking off the top of me weak minded head here...

 

Having the "cast" mingle with the folks at EOT...promote their movie...show the public that they are truly into the Western gig...hell...I don't know. But I'm sure that the folks running this thing are thinking of creative ways to promote the game...maybe...

 

Phantom

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

And believe it or not - cross promotion symmetry is an amazing thing.

 

A western film might think it was clever to promote themselves with the backdrop of a few 100 cowboys in the background.

 

A country singer might think a concert filmed in front of a crowd filled with cowboy hats would be a positive thing.

 

There are methods to leverage our demographics and appearance to entice visitors.   And if someone as dense as myself can concieve of possibilities - then Im sure there are folks that could take it further.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There are also celebrities and sports stars on the board of the NRA - are we inviting them to our shoots?

 

These are folks that should be embracing/ promoting our sport as 2a positive, family friendly and should do so without a profit motive.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

   Yellowstone is hotter than a prod on a cow's butt right now. Maybe Rip or that hot little number what likes to bathe in water troughs would come out to a "Yellowstone" themed match. 

   Maybe put on some other "themed" match to coincide with whatever actor/musician/sports personality we think we could get to attend. Just thoughts, don't tar and feather me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

And believe it or not - cross promotion symmetry is an amazing thing.

 

A western film might think it was clever to promote themselves with the backdrop of a few 100 cowboys in the background.

 

A country singer might think a concert filmed in front of a crowd filled with cowboy hats would be a positive thing.

 

There are methods to leverage our demographics and appearance to entice visitors.   And if someone as dense as myself can concieve of possibilities - then Im sure there are folks that could take it further.

 

The more I think about it and read ideas here, the more doable it seems.  An active umbrella organization should already be pursuing it, seeing the past successful experience in So Cal.     

-‐‐---------------------------------------

----------crickets chirping -----------

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ed "Jersey Kid, SASS #287 was the main man responsible for bringing the stars to EOT in Norco. You might reach out to him for ideas. He has several post on the thread "SASS, The Early Days".

 

 Ken Amorosano, aka: Chisler, was also a marketing genius and responsible for the explosion in growth in the late 90's. If anyone was serious, they should reach out to him for ideas. He's now CEO and publisher of several magazines. Not sure if he would be willing to help put my guess is he would.

 

Before any idea can work, it will need serious volunteer's, follow through and the blessings of current management.

 

Good luck to anyone that's willing to take this task on.

 

 

  • Thanks 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

 

 

There certainly were no celebrity unicorns at Founders Ranch, and I seriously doubt they will be attracted to Akron.  Getting them at our events is about location, location and location. 

 

Cheap shot.  Akron is an office location.  Do you think any events ever happened at the offices in Yorba Linda, or in RJ Poteet's basement, before that?  End of Trail is being held in Phoenix Arizona, in a major population area.  (The 5th largest city in the US + the population of the suburbs and surrounding areas).  That's your location, location, location.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Okay ... my 2 cents.

Now...I don't know of Norco days, only know folks who do.

I do know Jersey Kid...love having him as my friend...the fact he is 6' 5" and makes me feel petite is another post!:wub:

I also call Peter Sherayko friend....

now...

Founders Ranch is why Shanley and myself...along with many folks are now 15 year SASS members.. 

We had a few STARS grace EOTs past...

 

The mindset if seeing a celeb walking amongst you has changed from 20 yrs ago...

 

FR in the first few years saw a great deal of public out for the match...

The draw was entertainment outside of the shooting.

 

Norco had shows...

I believe one of them was chuckwagon races?

 

FR EOTs had, in the early years:

T.C. Thorntonson and Harvey  (the buffalo)

Dr. Buck Montgomery

Johnny Ringo

Whip crackers

Old magicians traveling through town.

Juni Fischer

Syd Masters

Fiddlers

Bob Munden

The mounted shooting had great talent and brought out alot of interest...

 

All of this cost $$...and quite a bit of $$.

To be able to do some of these things will surely require a match fee increase.

 

I like your idea of getting a wow factor to the range...

Just not sure how to achieve it.

Longhunter has the best suggested path...

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Banjo Bob said:

Correct, and many LA residents showed up just cause it was close and they were curious.

BUT!  The geniuses who ran SASS decided to move everything to remote New Mexico, close to nothing, nowhere, no one and no how.

In hindsight - a decision with either unintended consequences (or perhaps they weighed the profit/ loss and thought it would balance out) - either way, it no longer matters as that decision is behind us.

 

So we can continue to snipe at the past or we can look forward 

What do we do NOW?

We have championship matches on both sides of the Mississippi, both near significant population centers.

 

So how do we regain attention and rekindle the interest of potential shooters?

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, McCandless said:

 

Cheap shot.  Akron is an office location.  Do you think any events ever happened at the offices in Yorba Linda, or in RJ Poteet's basement, before that?  End of Trail is being held in Phoenix Arizona, in a major population area.  (The 5th largest city in the US + the population of the suburbs and surrounding areas).  That's your location, location, location.

 

Nothing wrong with Ben Avery.  As you said, lots of population nearby.  F.R. less so.   If you want publicity, you need an accessible target audience of good size.   From the standpoint of public spectator attraction, FR was probably a poor choice. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Lets pretend for a moment that there are folks that have any productive input.

But No, it is so much more fun to stand on the sidelines and throw stones. 

There's a difference between throwing stones and dealing with reality. It costs money to publicize or promote something. The celebrities of the past were there because they were participants.

IMHO the only value will come from some sort of national promotion in markets that aren't necessarily based on shooting or hunting platforms. Does SASS have that kind of funding?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

a bit off-topic, but have SASS reached out to companies that could benefit from it in the past?  Like Taylor, Cimmaron, Stoeger, Ruger?  was there a sponsorship opportunity with advertizing?  they could maybe start with their celebrity shooting stars?  this is from Team Ruger website - "Team Ruger will make its national debut at the start of the 2018 shooting season, with shooters competing in various shooting events from IDPA, SASS, ICORE, NRA Bianchi Cup, Steel Challenge, USPSA and a number of other state and national competitions."

 

Ruger is starting to crank out Marlin lever actions... are they invited to sponsor and advertize?

 

Bring them in! put them in cowboy clothes...

 

 

news32519-T (1).jpg

news32719-T.jpg

Edited by Last Call Saul
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

SASS does not allow any logos or branding of any kind on clothes etc.

Hence the "put them in cowboy clothes" part. (Although my vote goes to soiled dove attire.)

 

Who knows though? Maybe Ruger could put together an exhibition team to go to the "big" events. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

SASS does not allow any logos or branding of any kind on clothes etc.

 

Try offering something beyond your continual negative mantra of, "That will never work".

 

"I'm thinking about moving inside the caves"

"You can't live in the caves; it's dark in there"

"We will invent fire"

"Fire is impossible for a man to create"

 

"I'm thinking about crossing this body of water" 

"Only a fish could swim that far"

"No, I have an idea for a boat"

"Floating on the water?  That would never work"

 

"I have this idea about flying"

"You are not a bird - it's not happening"

 

I'm noticing a trend - there are those who desire and try to move forward (and who, to be honest, often fail) and those whose only contribution is to point out all the ways it can't happen.

 

Which side of history do you wish to be on?

I would rather try and fail then do nothing.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The old cliché, and weary saying: "where there is a will, there is a way.", though tiresome to say is still, none-the-less, true. 

Yes, it was done once-upon-a-time, and yes...times, and circumstances, and situations change.

What does not change is the will, and the desire. 

With the tons of talent, and common sense, this group, these Pards, and this organization, has, then there is a way to do this.

It can be figured out. Maybe trial and error, with a heavy dose of error, but nothing ever worthwhile was ever easy...again...another worn out old cliché...but worn out or not, it is true. 

 

Let's face it...many celebrates love the money, but they also crave, and some live for the accolades they receive. Perhaps some have passed the zenith of their careers, but still love the attention they will undoubtedly get, if they show up. Perhaps getting to them, without going through a ton of their handlers/yes-men, might work...if indeed one could talk to them directly. Obviously, some religiously believe their own press, and may think their sun will never wain, fade, or set...but it does for the majority of the celebrates, at some point-in-time. 

I have to really believe they have no idea, or clue, how intensely popular their presence would be at an event. 

 

Yes, for some, "hero worship", the best seats on the plane, or at an event, tons of autograph seekers...and they get it in their head they are entitled. 

Those folks can stay at home...we don't want, or need, their bloated ego's.

 

This can be done!!! If things are not tried, then they are not done. And if things are not done...then why are we here on this earth????

 

W.K.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Waxahachie Kid #17017 L
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Which side of history do you wish to be on?

I would rather try and fail then do nothing.

 

Just pointing out the current rules for SASS.  DO you really think the "cowboy" membership would accept people wearing sponsored logo shirts and equipment?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.