Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

illegitimacy


Alpo
 Share

Recommended Posts

Although it pretty much seems to not matter anymore, I'm curious.

 

My girlfriend and I are living in sin. I get her pregnant. She has the baby. We continue to live in sin. The child is illegitimate. I got that one.

 

Same scenario, but like the ending of LOVER COME BACK, we get married on the way to the delivery room, and the child is born to parents that are married to each other. Is the child considered legitimate, or is he still illegitimate because we weren't married when we started him?

 

Same scenario, we have the kid, we continue to live in sin for a few years, and then we decide to legalize it. Did our getting married now make the kid legitimate, even though we were not married when he was born?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Many,  perhaps most, states now have laws that eliminate the concept of 'illegitimacy' .

 

But as far as popular parlance may be concerned, example #2 would certainly not be illegitimate, as the status relates to birth, not conception. Third example, I'd say yes myself. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

#2 (married on the way to the delivery room) is referred to as the man "making an honest woman of her."

 

Please note the man doing this does not get the same benefit. It only removes any stigma from the mom and the child.

 

The man still needs to "own" his prior actions for his lifetime.

 

#3, while a good deed, is not as good as #2.

 

But you left out another option. If the no-good dude won't own his actions, kick him to the curb as soon as possible.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Legitimate mostly depends on the names on the child's birth certificate.
If Mom is Mrs. Smith when the certificate is filled out, the child is legit.
If not, the child takes Mom's last (maiden) name, and is illegitimate by default.

Edited by bgavin
edited for a typo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, John Kloehr said:

 

Please note the man doing this does not get the same benefit. It only removes any stigma from the mom and the child.

 

Don't agree on that one. It removes the stigma from him, too; of abandonment of responsibility, and perhaps more.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Duffield, SASS #23454 said:

Example #3 qualifies him to be a senator or congressman.

I don't get this. I assume it's supposed to be a joke. At least three other people apparently thought it was supposed to be a joke, because three people clicked the laughing icon.

 

But we have Little Tommy. His mother and father are not married. When Tommy is five his mother and father marry  And this qualifies him to be a congressman.

 

As I said - I don't get it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Let me tell you all a story.

 

My wife has a younger sister who was married to a drunken bum. The bum fathered three very fine sons. When the bum got older and sobered up he decided that he wanted to get married again. He and the future bride are now Catholics and in order for them to be married in the Catholic Church the first marriage had to be annulled. It was after awhile and the couple were married. Now for the rest of the story.

 

Now because the marriage has been annulled that makes the three sons illegitimate or bastards, maybe not officially but when ever they’re together at a family function that’s what I call them, much to the consternation of my wife and her sister and everyone lived happily thereafter. End of story.:P

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

 

Now because the marriage has been annulled that makes the three sons illegitimate or bastards, maybe not officially but when ever they’re together at a family function that’s what I call them, much to the consternation of my wife and her sister and everyone lived happily thereafter. End of story.:P

You b******!  But it is funny.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I remember a movie at the end Lee Marvin is called a bastard at the end. I remember his reply. "Yes sir, I am by the product of my birth, but you sir, are a self made man" 

 

I think it was at the end of the Profesionals.

I always thought that was a great comback line

 

Edited by Maddog McCoy SASS #5672
  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Alpo said:

I don't get this. I assume it's supposed to be a joke. At least three other people apparently thought it was supposed to be a joke, because three people clicked the laughing icon.

 

But we have Little Tommy. His mother and father are not married. When Tommy is five his mother and father marry  And this qualifies him to be a congressman.

 

As I said - I don't get it.

The child's birth certificate still says illegitimate, therefore he/she should fit right in with the other pols.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, first, I've never seen a birth certificate that had a spot for legitimate or illegitimate. Maybe a hundred years ago, but not now.

 

Second, if you go down to the hall of records with the copy of your adoption paperwork, they will change the birth certificate. It might have said the father was Joe blow, or the father was unknown, or the father was the port side gun. But you bring him a piece of legal paper that says that the father's name is Frank Johnson, and they will put that on the birth certificate.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It was 1958, we were living in Framingham, MA, the grandparents, aunts and uncles who had not moved out were in Manchester, NH, about 50 miles away. My aunt L came to live with us for a while. She was three or four months along and unmarried. I have no idea what the bc said, but the result was Ronnie.

 

now to add a soap opera aspect to this story. Aunt L did get married to a guy who gave her two more, Nancy and Freddy. Then they split. In the fullness of time L has at least two more hubbies and five more kids.

 

THEN Freddy gets engaged and a wedding occurs. The bride’s father is Ronnie’s father.

 

You can’t just make this stuff up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

It was 1958, we were living in Framingham, MA, the grandparents, aunts and uncles who had not moved out were in Manchester, NH, about 50 miles away. My aunt L came to live with us for a while. She was three or four months along and unmarried. I have no idea what the bc said, but the result was Ronnie.

 

now to add a soap opera aspect to this story. Aunt L did get married to a guy who gave her two more, Nancy and Freddy. Then they split. In the fullness of time L has at least two more hubbies and five more kids.

 

THEN Freddy gets engaged and a wedding occurs. The bride’s father is Ronnie’s father.

 

You can’t just make this stuff up.

I'm My Own Grandpa- Ray Stevens ( with family tree diagram) - YouTube

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.