SASS Wire Forum

Want to bend the opening lever on Baikal double barrel

Philosopher

I've got a Remington SPR 200 double-barreled 12 gauge which was manufactured by Baikal. I've already had Ahlman's slick up the action and it's really helped the smoothness of the gun.

My remaining issue is that I'm a left-handed shooter and I have to struggle a bit to push the opening lever all the way to the right to break open the shotgun. I can reposition my hand to get the job done, but I'd prefer not to. So it's  my intention to bend the opening lever to the LEFT. It's my understanding that I can bend/reprofile the top lever up to 1/2 inch from the center of the tang without running afoul of the rules.

I've ordered a new opening lever from Numrich (they have them in stock) and will modify that. I'll keep the original opening lever unaltered. 

So what's the best way to bend the lever? I was thinking about clamping it in a vise and applying a bit of heat with a MAPP torch and then giving it a gentle whack or two with a hammer. 

But before I do that I thought I'd ask the Wire's opinion regarding my intentions. Is there anything I've missed?

Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks.

Assuming that the rules have not been changed, then you can indeed move it that far. I would put it in a vice and heat it where I wanted it to bend, while keeping a little pressure on the end with some vice grips. 

Snakebite

1 hour ago, Philosopher said:

I've got a Remington SPR 200 double-barreled 12 gauge which was manufactured by Baikal. I've already had Ahlman's slick up the action and it's really helped the smoothness of the gun.

My remaining issue is that I'm a left-handed shooter and I have to struggle a bit to push the opening lever all the way to the right to break open the shotgun. I can reposition my hand to get the job done, but I'd prefer not to. So it's  my intention to bend the opening lever to the LEFT. It's my understanding that I can bend/reprofile the top lever up to 1/2 inch from the center of the tang without running afoul of the rules.

I've ordered a new opening lever from Numrich (they have them in stock) and will modify that. I'll keep the original opening lever unaltered. 

So what's the best way to bend the lever? I was thinking about clamping it in a vise and applying a bit of heat with a MAPP torch and then giving it a gentle whack or two with a hammer. 

But before I do that I thought I'd ask the Wire's opinion regarding my intentions. Is there anything I've missed?

Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks.

I did a Yildiz just like Snakebite said and didn't have any trouble.

Randy

Whatever you use wrap it to not leave marks. A small crescent wrench works very well and could leave it on shotgun to bend if don't use brute force.

19 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

Top levers can be reversed on some model double barrel shotguns.  Don't know if it's possible on your gun. 

I thought I remembered someone doing just that.

Excellent ideas, thanks to all for the input. After this weekend's shoot, AND I get shipping confirmation from Numrich's on the spare opening lever, I'll have at it.

I'm going to try and bend it first with just using a crescent wrench. I'll pad it up and put it into my vise. Would want to scuff the fine finish of this elegant Ruskie shotgun. Lol!

NO! Don't bend it without heat! If you don't want to disassemble it, then take the stock off. this will protect it from getting burned. Then put it in a vice, apply the heat to the middle of the lever until a dull red, THEN use your adjustable wrench to bend it. Easy.... it will bend easily so don't go too far.

Snakebite

Archived