SASS Wire Forum

1897-97 1892-92 Winchesters?

WOLFY

Was it some model or feature change or other reason that one year the models are 1894 and then they become 94?  Or was it just marketing… “it’s the 20th century, why remind the buyer our designs are from last century” like?

I couldn’t find “when” these model designations changed.

Early 20th century, Winchester itself did it.  Model 94, 92, 73, 97 and 12 all were changed from their first designation.  The model 1912 changed in 1920, to be exact.  I have one of those made in 1918 that is labeled a Model 1912.  

Thanks for informing me, yall.

I have two 97s and one actually has 1897 on it’s slide bar.   The newer one has 97. 

004D6CAB-886E-40E9-98D1-FE24885411B5.jpeg

5DD3F987-4007-4660-A0AC-FB504D562679.jpeg

According to Winchester Arms Collectors Association member Bert H. :

"In the early part of the year 1919, Winchester Plant Manager Frank F. Burton issued a Change of Manufacture Notice to shorten all model designations in production from 4-digits to 2-digits.  The Engraving shop then was tasked with making (or modifying) all of the roll die stamps to comply with that notice.  For some models, the change was made rather quickly, but for others it took nearly a full year to fully make the change.  Due to some models having a substantial number of already made & marked parts on hand, the newly marked items (barrels, slide bars, receivers, etc.) did not begin to appear until late in the year 1919, or in several cases, early 1920. 

The Model 1897/97 transition took longer than any other model to complete (reason unknown), and it has the longest span of serial numbers where the transition took place."

Archived