SASS Wire Forum

Sight picture with buckhorn sights

Quiet Burp

The one on the left works for me.

Try it on a target yourself.    Shoot 1 with bead at bottom and 1 at top.  Then fire 1 far left and 1 far right.   Probaly find out they are all close enough for cowboy ranges and also which is easier to pick up the  sight picture that is best for you.    IMHO I like to float the bead, not bury it     GW

My bead is centered in the open area between the "horns."  The diagram on the right. 

I don't like how buckhorn sights snag things, and how the horns block my vision when acquiring the next target in a horizontal row.   OFF the horns come, making a flat sight.

The only precise way to shoot the buckhorn is to put bead down in the bottom of V.  Anything else is SO dependent upon getting a consistent picture. 

For a 10 yard cowboy match shot,  it really doesn't matter, though.  

good luck, GJ

I personally use "a", treating the rear sight like a open-top peep (aperture).  The main thing is consistency! Whatever sight picture you choose, once you get the elevator adjusted the way you want it, use the same picture always, except if you need to adjust for range (not usual in CAS).

Some years back , 2016 or 2017 , at the Texas State Championship match , I broke the rear sight blade off my 73 when I laid it down on the first stage. Ended up shooting the match clean. I think 12 stages , not sure.

In this game the front sight is critical.

Rex :D

Archived