Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

clean glasses


Chili Ron
 Share

Recommended Posts

Howdy,,

A trip to the eyedoc gave me a nice tip.

If you use dawn dish soap, after every drop is used put in 10 to 12 ounces of 

water.  Shake it a bit.  Let the suds relax.  Put this into a 12 ounce squirt bottle.

They are a dollar at a lot of stores.

Squirt cover your eyeglasses rub with your clean fingers.

A couple more squirts, rinse with clean water.

Dry with a poly cloth....I found a great cloth at bedbathbeyond.

Its grey and meant for fancy drinking glasses.  Works great cost little.

This is supposed to NOT remove the expensive coatings they put on prescription lenses.

Ive found this also does a great job of cleaning dvds.

When cleaning dvd move the cloth from center to edge.

I wash all borrowed or used disks before play.

If I dont put dirt into a machine I wont have to clean it out.

ynnv.

Best

CR

 

  • Thanks 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I use these:

Zeiss Lens Wipes, White, 220 Count https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07YSVJ16T/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_4CR3T0ASM59Z1GDB05W8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

 

Very handy. I carry them everywhere. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I use these:

Zeiss Lens Wipes, White, 220 Count https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07YSVJ16T/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_4CR3T0ASM59Z1GDB05W8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

 

Very handy. I carry them everywhere. 

I use Zeiss spray cleaner.  Never heard of the wipes, but they sound a lot more convenient than that spray bottle.  I seek them out.  Thanks for the tip.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There is also a similar lens cleaning cloth to the Zeiss Lens Wipes by Bausch & Lomb. They have more alcohol and could be used for sanitizing items but when used on eyeglasses and motorcycle visors you end up using a tissue or cloth to remove the excess alcohol/water. 
 

I like the Zeiss cleaners more. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

There is also a similar lens cleaning cloth to the Zeiss Lens Wipes by Bausch & Lomb. They have more alcohol and could be used for sanitizing items but when used on eyeglasses and motorcycle visors you end up using a tissue or cloth to remove the excess alcohol/water. 
 

I like the Zeiss cleaners more. 

Same here , I got addicted to them because work used to buy the B&L . I also prefer the zeiss 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I use these:

Zeiss Lens Wipes, White, 220 Count https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07YSVJ16T/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_4CR3T0ASM59Z1GDB05W8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

 

Very handy. I carry them everywhere. 

What we use

OLG 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I use these:

Zeiss Lens Wipes, White, 220 Count https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07YSVJ16T/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_4CR3T0ASM59Z1GDB05W8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

 

Very handy. I carry them everywhere. 

I bought them at a wholesale store here, BJ's. They're great, I carry some in my car! :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Howdy,

You might want to check to see if wipes etc  wear away at coatings.

My suggestion is more for home use.

I clean glasses at home and not out somewhere.

Ive used wipes many times but never considered the coatings come off.

I like to float dirt away and NOT dig into the lens.

Same with washing a car.  Float the dirt away and avoid scratching.

Best

CR

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I use Zeiss spray cleaner.  Never heard of the wipes, but they sound a lot more convenient than that spray bottle.  I seek them out.  Thanks for the tip.

Sam's Club and Wal-Mart has'em

OLG 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Be aware that the packaged lens wipes can and do dry out.

 

I use 90% isopropyl alcohol in a squirt bottle with a lint free/poly cloth.

 

If there are large pieces of "debris" on the lenses it's much better to use soap and water in a sink and then dry.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Zeiss Wipes are in sealed packets, and are intended for immediate use only.  They are single-use and disposable.  I keep them in my backpack, my gun cart, my bino case, my eyeglass cases, the glove box of the truck, my briefcase, basically everywhere I might need to clean my sweaty dirty glasses.  Using soapy water is fine when I'm home, but Zeiss Wipes are the best for everywhere else (and home too, anyway) -- other disposable wipes leave streaks, but Zeiss Wipes do not, in my experience.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Chief Rick said:

Be aware that the packaged lens wipes can and do dry out.

 

I use 90% isopropyl alcohol in a squirt bottle with a lint free/poly cloth.

 

If there are large pieces of "debris" on the lenses it's much better to use soap and water in a sink and then dry.

Zeiss wipes do not dry out, I bought a box of 250 a few months ago and keep some in my glove box and they’re still wet!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Zeiss wipes are great!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Zeiss wipes do not dry out, I bought a box of 250 a few months ago and keep some in my glove box and they’re still wet!

Let me know in 12 months if that's still the case.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Chief Rick said:

Let me know in 12 months if that's still the case.

They won’t last 12 months! I’ll use em up by then! 
I’ll try and remember to save a couple and then in 12,months I’ll say why do I have these?? :lol:

I’ve had this box for about 4-5 months!!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If I cleaned my glasses as much as @Rye Miles #13621 or @Nostrum Damus SASS #110702 I'd probably be more worried about damaging the lenses than I currently do.

 

Seriously, I probably only clean the lenses two or three times a week and usually use the spray bottle with alcohol. 

 

I don't know how old the box of wipes I have is (over a year, at least) but most of them are dry when I open the packages.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Chief Rick said:

If I cleaned my glasses as much as @Rye Miles #13621 or @Nostrum Damus SASS #110702 I'd probably be more worried about damaging the lenses than I currently do.

 

Seriously, I probably only clean the lenses two or three times a week and usually use the spray bottle with alcohol. 

 

I don't know how old the box of wipes I have is (over a year, at least) but most of them are dry when I open the packages.

Are they Zeiss wipes? I’ve had others that dried out pretty quickly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ve had B&L , which are usually too wet dry out after a year or more but so far I’ve never had a problem with the Zeiss . But that’s in Mi , I could see if you live in Death Valley you may have a different experience 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When I shave after I put the shaving cream on my face I scrape the extra shaving cream from my fingers onto the lenses in my glasses and rub the lenses horizontally.  Then I rinse off my glasses and dry them with my towel.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, punxsutawneypete said:

When I shave after I put the shaving cream on my face I scrape the extra shaving cream from my fingers onto the lenses in my glasses and rub the lenses horizontally.  Then I rinse off my glasses and dry them with my towel.

I’ve heard of that before, unfortunately I use an electric razo:P

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Buckshot Bear said:

How big are Ziess Wipes ? Can you use 'em for emergency toilet paper in the bush?

Depends on the size of your tush!

 

Ah, probably not, they aren't real large.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Chief Rick said:

Let me know in 12 months if that's still the case.

I have found Zeiss wipes stashed in my packs over a year old and they worked just fine. These were stored in my saddle bags. 
 

I have washed and dried these packets in my cargo pants and the wipes were fine. 
 

I clean my glasses numerous times a day with Zeiss wipes. I have every coating you can get on my glasses. I have never had a problem. 
Also, I use Zeiss wipes on the clear Lexan shield on my helmet. I have had the same shield for two years. I normally replaced those visors every few months because I used windex and paper towels to clean them. Paper towels put micro scratches in the visors and I am sure Windex breaks down the hardened coatings. 
 

I have used the Zeiss wipes since 2017 with zero issues. 
 

I like ‘em! ;)

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m guessing since Zeiss is the maker of some fairly high quality optics it would probably be important to them to make a lens cleaning wipe that doesn’t damage optical quality lenses. 
I would expect the same results from B&L . I just prefer the Zeiss 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I use Dawn as the first try on DVD that won't play properly.
If they still fail after a Dawn cleaning, then toothpaste is the next remedy.

Wet the DVD and smear with toothpaste.
Rub around the entire disk in a circular pattern.
That is... making circles the size of a dollar, all the way around the disk.

Rinse completely.
Dry with a soft towel in a radial direction:  straight out from the center to the edge.

Dawn is my go-to for my specs.

Edited by bgavin
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Howdy,

I just had a dvd with all sorts of glitches.

Washed it with dilute dawn and problems are GONE.

I love it when a plan comes together.

Best

CR

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.