SASS Wire Forum

Replacement Dillon tumbler motor

Possum Skinner, SASS#60697

My Dillon tumbler's motor crapped out on me and I haven't yet found a replacement.  It is Emerson part #17391, model K33ZZDDC-1329, 115 volt, RPM 3400, 1/20 HP.

Anybody know where I can get a replacement?

Thanks,

Possum

Same thing happened to me.   I tried to get a replacement from Dillon for mine.  They didn't have one, but would refurbish my unit with a different motor.  It would cost about the same as the original.  That has been the only time I've been disappointed in Dillon.

I bought a Harbor Freight Tumbler at 1/2 the price and never looked back.  Tumblers are not Dillon's strong point.

What is the stated warranty? I had one of the Midway tumblers that gave out and got a replacement from them but the new ones weren't warrantied the same. If a company offers a lifetime warranty, great. Other then that I don't expect these things to last forever.

Give Dillon a call and give them a chance.  I broke the separator cage, my fault, and they sent me a new one. I don’t know about motors, but you have nothing to lose.

Add me to those who had the motor fail on an older Dillon vibrational tumbler, and finding out that motor was discontinued.  So I went back to my Lyman and it's still plugging away.

You might try here:  http://lapidarysupplies.com/catalog_pages_2019/page_05.pdf

I assume vibratory type?

I believe these motors have bearings and not sleeves, big difference in life expectancy.  You may want to call Minnesota Lapidary. Their page claims they will work with you to find that correct solution.

Replacement Motor for U-V 10

$141.10

Replacement Motor for U-V 18

$246.75

Replacement Motor for U-V 45

$246.75

4 hours ago, Lazy Eeyour said:

You might try here:  http://lapidarysupplies.com/catalog_pages_2019/page_05.pdf

I assume vibratory type?

I believe these motors have bearings and not sleeves, big difference in life expectancy.  You may want to call Minnesota Lapidary. Their page claims they will work with you to find that correct solution.

Replacement Motor for U-V 10

$141.10

Replacement Motor for U-V 18

$246.75

Replacement Motor for U-V 45

$246.75

Thing is, a new case cleaner is $240, so a new motor at those prices wouldn’t be a great option.  I have found a Dayton motor that might work that’s around $60.  Might try that, but need to study it more.  Can’t believe these small motors are so highly priced.

55 minutes ago, Possum Skinner, SASS#60697 said:

If I end up having to buy a new tumbler, I think I might try a wet tumbler.

I have had all 3 kinds and like the wet the best , if you trim often the ss pins burnish the trimmed edge nicely if you give it a little extra time . If you just want to clean the Yul strato sheen method is great 

https://www.riogrande.com/product/Strat-O-Sheen-Powder-Burnishing-Compound-5-lbs/3390175

1 hour ago, Possum Skinner, SASS#60697 said:

If I end up having to buy a new tumbler, I think I might try a wet tumbler.

I think you will be happy if you go that way. I haven't used my vibratory cleaner in years. Have been plenty satisfied with rotary tumbler and ceramic media since about 1992 or 1993.

Rex :D

I have an older Dillon, maybe thirty years old, it had a lifetime warranty. Motor went bad and they would not replace it, wanted refurbish it for almost the same money as a new one. I took the motor off, tore it down and replaced the bushings and it is still going now about 15 years or so.

Possum, Horrible Freight has a small gas motor for about $100.  Might take a little engineering to get it to work, but you can also use the motor on a mini-bike.  Hope you are coming to Hot Lead!

Archived