SASS Wire Forum

CCI small pistol primers at MidwayUSA

Krazy Kajun

Just got an email notice that CCI small pistol primers were in stock at MidwayUSA....don't know for how long, just passing this along.

Kajun

Just checked "out of stock"

Hey you CCI small pistol primer users, any issues with them used in Ruger Vaqueros? I found some new old stock in my reloading room recently (4,000 of them) figured I would try them in my revolvers, still have plenty of Federals for my slicked up '73s.

TB

I have heard others that have experience with CCI SPP in race ready guns say that they have had multipul FTF with them.  I have also heard that CCI has recently changed there primers because of this problem.  I don't have any first hand knowledge about this only what I have heard.

41 minutes ago, Turquoise Bill, SASS #39118 said:

Hey you CCI small pistol primer users, any issues with them used in Ruger Vaqueros? I found some new old stock in my reloading room recently (4,000 of them) figured I would try them in my revolvers, still have plenty of Federals for my slicked up '73s.

TB

Used to be all I used in my AR platform rifles (small rifle) and my 9mm pistols (small pistol). One of the reasons I switched to Federals was because the CCI's became unavailable around here. Never had a FTF in a stock gun from any primer until I started using the "lightened" springs in my cowboy rifles. My rugers still don't seem to care what primer I use but I learned my rifles were generally more reliable with Federals. At this point I pretty much exclusively use Federals in everything but would not be (to) worried if I had to switch to something else. I could always tighten the strain screw ('73) a quarter to half turn if need be.

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

I replaced my New Vaquero original springs with Wolfe 19/30 springs. Have had no issues with FTF with any brand of primers. Have used CCI, Winchester and Federal. They all went bang except for a couple when I dragged my thumb on the hammer. That I can’t blame on the primer. 

Sam Sackett 

These CCI's aren't that old, I think I'll load up a batch of .38's and give them a try in the Vaqueros.

Thanks guys!

TB

recently used cci in rifle & pistols & worked like a champ  just for local shoots.

I started with CCI primers, as I was new to reloading, and Lee Precision only recommends using CCI or Remington primers on their progressive presses. I immediately encountered FTF on both my Ruger New Model Vaqueros. When I purchased the Wolf spring kits for my Vaqueros, they came with two different weight springs (both reduced power from stock springs.) I had the lighter of the two on my revolvers, and replaced them with the heavier of the two, and that solved the problem.  So I would say FTF depends on the weight of the hammer springs you have installed.  I don't remember what the weight of the two springs is off the top of my head, but will edit the post with the spring weights in question when I get home. I also had to get a heaver hammer spring from my 1873 as well. Just to be safe, if you go with the CCI primers, don't wait for a match like I did to test them out! FWIW, I will be putting the lighter springs back on the Vaqueros and 1873, once I can reliably get Federal primers.

Archived