SASS Wire Forum

Picking up brass , has anyone used on of these ?

Buckshot Bob

Works great on concrete. On dirt you get just as many rocks as pieces of brass

What TTB said, works great but if there is gravel you'll get that as well. 

Other than your fingers NOTHING works as well as these.  When the rubber cups fail replace them with silicone ones

71l38OAPDML._AC_SL1500_.jpg

ArcMate EZ Reacher STANDARD Outdoor, Pro Reacher Grabber Pick Up Tool with Pistol Grip, Suction Cup

EZ Reacher Silicone Replacement Cups, 6 Pair Pack

30 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Other than your fingers NOTHING works as well as these.  When the rubber cups fail replace then with Silicone ones...

Or punch a small hole through the rubber cups and secure them with small nuts and bolts, either before or after the little screws fail.

2 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

Why is this in the Classifieds?

I’m pretty sure I posted it in the wire , I don’t know if it got moved . But it wouldn’t be the first time I had a brain fart 

1 hour ago, Crawdaddy said:

I can see brass just fine, when I’m not the brass picker but when I am I go brass blind!

When picking I like to watch the shooter to see where the brass is going.  Often I will see one here or there in the grass and make a mental note of it.   But just looking away for a second or two then looking back and it has disappeared!

2 hours ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

I have one, wasn’t impressed with the results.

Randy

The thing on the end of one's arm is the best brass picker, and fastest. Yeah, I know it's too hard to bend over for some.

20 minutes ago, Assassin said:

The thing on the end of one's arm is the best brass picker, and fastest. Yeah, I know it's too hard to bend over for some.

If I got down to pick up brass someone would have to help me up!

Randy

13 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Other than your fingers NOTHING works as well as these.  When the rubber cups fail replace them with silicone ones

71l38OAPDML._AC_SL1500_.jpg

ArcMate EZ Reacher STANDARD Outdoor, Pro Reacher Grabber Pick Up Tool with Pistol Grip, Suction Cup

EZ Reacher Silicone Replacement Cups, 6 Pair Pack

This is much more sturdy than the folding model, and much more effective than any other that I've seen or used, which is all on the market.  The 32" model is the better choice for length.  Not too short, not too long. Any shorter and you must bend over slightly. Any longer and you have difficulty putting the brass into a can held in your other hand.  However, if you put the can on the ground and drop brass into it, then the length is not so important.  Unless you are using the shorter models which are a bit too short IMO.  YMMV.

What I wish is people would learn to count when picking up brass. Accomplishes 2 things. Most important is when the brass picker has collected the correct number of cases they are done. Second it tells them they haven't found all the cases yet and to keep looking.

38 specials and 45 Colt isn't hard to come by but the dash calibers can be hard to acquire. It really stings when those cases cost a dollar a piece or more and you finish the match short a half dozen or more that cannot be easily replaced.

On 10/17/2021 at 10:56 AM, Too Tall Bob said:

Works great on concrete. On dirt you get just as many rocks as pieces of brass

+100000

On 10/17/2021 at 3:59 PM, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

These are the best brass pickers.  See how excited they are to get out there and pick brass!

ChildAdolescentDevelopment.jpg

I agree, get your sons or a local Cub / Boy Scout  group out and giv them all lessons on gun safety and shoot some cowboy guns. 

These work better by miles…

Foldable Grabber Reacher Tool with Light, 31" Garbage Grabber Tool, 90°Rotating Anti-Slip Jaw, Soft Rubber Handle & Durable Stick, Magnet Hook, Gabbers for Elderly (Blue) 8310-B-1 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B091D1D1CJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_QW08P9MV46PW8GVK6Q4H?psc=1

20 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

What I wish is people would learn to count when picking up brass. Accomplishes 2 things. Most important is when the brass picker has collected the correct number of cases they are done. Second it tells them they haven't found all the cases yet and to keep looking.

38 specials and 45 Colt isn't hard to come by but the dash calibers can be hard to acquire. It really stings when those cases cost a dollar a piece or more and you finish the match short a half dozen or more that cannot be easily replaced.

Never been on a posse that didn't count as they picked up brass. Sometimes you take 7 back to the shooter and say, "sorry, that's all we could find" and shooter says "I had 3 in my hat. "  Can't spend 5 minutes looking for that one last piece. Just part of the game.

I like a small coffee can or bucket with a long loop of cord for a handle. Lets me sit it in the ground and drop brass and hulls in it.

Long handles with a mesh pouch work well as you can use the handle for extended reach.

The problem with the ones with a wire mesh basket is people tend to lean on them and deform and eventually break the basket.

3 hours ago, Doc Altman SASS#74468 said:

Any ideas for something to toss brass into when using grabbers?

I've seen people using nets and cans on a stick, but thought some of you more inventive cowboys might have a better idea or something tried and true.

Thanks!

--Doc

Something like this.  Amazon.com: Coopay 2 Pieces Butterflies Nets Catching Bug Nets Fishing Net Floating Bait Nets Beach Nets for Outdoor Playing (Rose Red + Orange) : Toys & Games

I prefer the pink one.

Chancy

The brass bucket I've been using for about 20 years was originally a boy scout cook pot or something.  I pick it up and set it down with the picker.  Set it near the brass, slide it around with the picker as needed.  I can put it forward of the firing line on some stages and lean out to get brass (Marlins!).  This method leaves my left arm and hand free.   Only problem, if it is wild bunch, a whole lot of brass and 4 magazines may make it so heavy that it slips out of the rubber cups if the picker is weak.

Archived