SASS Wire Forum

I heaved a loaf of sourdough into the pond!

On 10/18/2021 at 6:57 AM, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

... count me in on this.

GET WELL SOON  Ma'am

(this is not a suggestion)

:wub:

..... aha ! She does listen to instructions .......    :wub:

I am so verrrrrrry glad of your outcome(s) ....   :wub::wub:;)

Lynn i'm so glad that your wife has had such amazing results and seems to be on the road back to a full recovery.

This really hits home as my wife almost lost me on Jan 29 2021 to multiple Pulmonary Emboi, the doctors said there was a miracle that evening .

Both lungs were full of Mega Clots with some also in my heart and one Free Range Clot headed for my Brain .

Every thing worked in my favor, they just about lost me again in the CCU with two Doctors and four Nurses there .

In my case they don't seem to be able to find the cause, so i'm on blood thinners long term it seems.

Have they been able to find the cause in Melissa's case ? 

I have been praying for you both, and I wish I had seen this post before .

I will have my church praying for you both .

Please be aware that this trauma can be hard on ones Mental state as well as on the body.

Rest in the arms of God for he cares for you above All . 

If you ever have a need to talk call me 1 403 370 6214  

God Bless ;

Jabez Cowboy ( aka ) Walter

Second update added after first update. Encouragement continues but I remain paranoid, I know too much about the condition.

So glad your better half is doing better.

As someone that has been in your shoes, you have to take care of yourself. Go eat a good hot meal. Skip the fast food and find some good home style cooking. If at all possible have a friend or two join you. Then take a hot shower and spend a few hours in your own bed or easy chair resting. 

Last thing the missus needs is for you to get run down and sick.  Trust in God he has your back.

11 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

So glad your better half is doing better.

As someone that has been in your shoes, you have to take care of yourself. Go eat a good hot meal. Skip the fast food and find some good home style cooking. If at all possible have a friend or two join you. Then take a hot shower and spend a few hours in your own bed or easy chair resting. 

Last thing the missus needs is for you to get run down and sick.  Trust in God he has your back.

My friend, thank you: your counsel is wise, and I shall take it!

Howdy Linn;

It was good to talk to you the other day, it sounds like things are Going Melissa's way !

And yes it seems that prayers are being answered YA HOO but there is still a way to go for Both of you .

You need to stay strong both in body and Spirit so that you can keep a watchful eye on things .

My Wife Marilyn sends Melissa lot's of Hugs and her walking group is also sending up prayers .

Tears are a part of the healing process, so just hold her tight .

My 2 year old Granddaughter was delighted when she saw my arms, "Purple " she said with glee as this was her favorite Colour !

Any way GOD Bless and Keep you both .

Jabez Cowboy   

"Purple" ... yes, that describes much of Melissa's skin surface!

Face planting on the laminate does no one any good -- and with heparin IV, she bears the subdermal war stories of every arterial blood gas, of every IV stick, of every blood draw!
She's being weaned down on her oxygen: 2 litres per minute via cannula, on straight room air she's 89-90% and she got scared when levels went down to 87 and put the cannula back in.
The nurse and I think it's because the pulse ox was dislodged slightly from her finger.

Melissa wants to come home.

I want her to continue breathing on her own.

We'll wait and see what the physicians say.

I pray for your wife's continued recovery from such a scary medical event.

I have experienced PE's myself.  In March of 2016 I had CABG surgery.  Due to an intestinal blockage I spent 2 extra days in the CCU.  Then 2 days after discharge I developed difficulty in breathing.  The difficulty wasn't the typical labored breathing; so, it didn't seem that I required immediate medical care.  Shortly after I started to inhale I'd cough.  I never passed out.  My wife drove me to the nearest ER of our Medicare Advantage provider's hospital.  The ER waiting room was standing room only at midnight Sunday.  I sat next to my wife at the ER intake clerk window while she explained that I had CABG surgery 10 days before.  They immediately took me in even though there were no unoccupied treatment rooms.  I laid on a gurney in a hall while I received treatment with morphine & heparin.  The ER doc diagnosed PE's without a CT.  Later that night a CT showed 6 PE's in my right lung & an ultrasound of my legs showed no clots.  I spent the next 15 days in the hospital recovering from the destruction of platelets from exposure to heparin plus 5 days to determine the therapeutic dose of warfarin.  I was fortunate to be on warfarin for only 6 months.

P.S.  I was only scared when the gravity of PE's and dangerously low platelets was explained to me when I asked an attending nurse why she & another nurse rushed into my room, unlocked the infusion machine, removed the bag of heparin & hung a bag of a different liquid.  Their body language was alarming.  I am one of the <20% of individuals that develop a heparin allergy.  I thank god for guiding me to schedule non emergency CABG surgery as soon as possible after the angiogram that showed two 100% blocked arteries that couldn't be fixed with stents.  If I had waited I could have died from bleeding from the vein grafts shortly after surgery.

Brother Daily, yours is the voice of experience, and your tale is truly frightening!
Most pleased you still breathe air!

My wife is home.

She called just before noon and said it looked like they were going to provide her walking papers at 5 pm.

I've been working harder at home than I do for a paycheck: I made a run to the hardware store, slam-dunked two bills into the blue box on the way: one-inch pipe fittings and some appropriate screws, and I mounted a handrail on the steps coming up from garage to kitchen.

Even got it spray painted to match the white wall.

The stud finder does not work for beans on a textured plaster board wall, I had to use the drill-and-fill method ... run in the drill bit until I hit wood, mark it, screw in the floor flange to a stud ... frustrating is the right word.

She's home, she has a portable oxygen concentrator (I'm familiar with the 110 volt variety. This is wheeled with a telescoping handle like a skinny piece of luggage!) -- she is HOME, she was able to eat supper under her own roof, she crawled between clean sheets in a freshly made bed, and Sailor-dog did his best to wash the ears off the side of her head.

Likely I will sleep on a hair trigger tonight.

Truly great news! Prayers for you both.

Melissa yet remains under her own roof: one follow up with our primary care, she's scheduled for pulmonology and hematology follow ups this coming week.

Her strength increases -- small steps -- and the steps are much smaller than either of us want -- when it comes to getting better, Melissa has all the patience of a five year old. The first day home she looked at me and admitted, "I have to remind myself this is Day ONE of recovery, not day ten!"
She was not evaluated at all for injuries from her fall -- their focus was (justifiably!) on keeping her ALIVE -- we're going to ask our primary care to order a bone windows CT for the entire spine: she's having serious pain from the base of her neck to just below her shoulder blades. She is as hard headed and contrary as I am when it comes to pain meds, she's making do with Ben Gay and my back massage, with Tylenol to cover.

Good thing she taught me far more about cooking than I ever learned as a lad at home.

If any here still have young under their roof, voice of experience:

Teach them how to wash clothes, teach them how to cook at least basic meals.
Multiple war stories involving abject failures at both, omitted in the interest of brevity!

1 hour ago, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

she's making do with Ben Gay and my back massage, with Tylenol to cover.

Thanks for the update.  Good news that she is still forging ahead, even if it's uphill on the slipface of a sand dune.  Progress is progress.

For her pain in the neck neck pain have you considered the over the counter Lidocaine patches?  There are several brands and they aren't all that expensive.

(for her pain in the neck I would suggest plenty of rest and maybe a little scotch or brandy)

I have followed your story from the bleachers, offering up prayers as I watched.

We’re so glad that Melissa is recovering!

Your own health is important! She is depending on you, so take a moment now and then to care for yourself!  Don’t be afraid to seek help.

When I got home from my extended stay in the hospital, I ran wild trying to get back to what I was before.  NO PATIENCE!!  Encourage her when she’s trying to get her strength and freedom back, but also be the one that tells her when she has done enough, because she won’t know when to quit once she sees any progress!!  She’ll be thinking “If a little is good, more is better!” and that can get you both in trouble!!

I’ve suffered a few setbacks from overdoing it and setbacks really SUCK!

We all hope that you both recover and flourish, QUICKLY, but take your time doing it!!

Prayers continue!!

Much good and sound advice, thank you all for your wise counsel.

Subdeacon, you're right about progress on the slipface of a sand dune, that's what it feels like!

We celebrate our silver anniversary today, 25 years of wedded bliss.

I swore on this day, a quarter of a century ago, that I would -- including the worse, the sickness, the poor.

I wanted to choose better, richer and health, but it wasn't multiple choice (darn!)

Anyway --

We were back in ER last night.

She thought she had another kidney stone.

Wasn't.

Colitis.

Augmentin is not a kind antibiotic to the digestive system; that's run its course, as of last night she's on two others to head off any opportunistic C. diff colonization.

Neither of us intended to celebrate our 25th in ER, just sorta happened ... what was it Mother Teresa said?

"If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans!"

What can I say ... I am a commodion ... I must be so full of it I need flushed ...

Melissa sends her thanks, and final update is back at the top of the page.

She says Blackwater is exactly right, when she rolled out of the bunk she felt like she could conquer the world, but she ran out of steam right quick!

I think I speak for many here in that we aren't done praying for you both.

I was mistaken, my apologies: my last update I marked as the last update.

I was almost right.

Newest revision, the back-to-work report, is at the head of the first page (spoiler: she's back to work tomorrow!)

Glad to hear Melissa is going to be OK, and life it returning to as normal as it can be.  Prayers up for continued good health and happiness for you both.

I must have gotten some dust in my eyes ,,,,, May God continue to bless you both !!!!

I will up-date my prayer group ...

My oldest Grandaughter turned 23 today, this truely is a blessed day ....

Jabez Cowboy 

Archived