SASS Wire Forum

Gun Kart. Show us your wagon

Rev. Stanley Otten III Bud

Need to make a gun kart. Like to see the good, bad & ugly.  Just looking for the ideas and details you like.     Show us !!

Will build one as a prototype and use it.  Have the ability to CNN the parts and make a few. Once programmed they can be run individually and easily on demand.    But first,  What’s the good and the bad! 

• Determine the axle position based on balance with guns on the cart and box full of gear.
    Make sure it won't upset with long guns on the rack and weight removed from the box. 
  • Use large wheels for rough ground or large stones.
  • Retain rifle or '97 barrels in a V instead of a U shape and save some bluing with that and snug retention when moving.
  • Keep weight of the disassembled cart to pieces you can pick up easily enough and sizes that will fit in your vehicle.

If you have access to FaceBook, here's an album of gun carts from a recent match:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.1338020536546600&type=3

Nineteen years ago I built a  cart from 3/4 inch marine plywood. It weighed 56 pounds empty, would separate into three pieces, so it was manageable loading and unloading to my car. With four long guns, ammo for two, lunch and stuff it would hold down a nine foot umbrella in the wind until one day the wind said "Mine" and over it went. I no longer have a picture of the cart or the cart. If you appreciate craftsmanship of epic proportion look up carts by Yul Lose, he is an absolute master.

Imis

Built this in 2004, in a whirlwind of getting ready for my first match.  Still use it at my home club.  Been modified two or three times over the years, but the base box, supports and wheels are still the same.  

red guncart.jpg

Couple of other things to think about is how many wheels; 2, 3, or 4; they all have advantages and disadvantages.  What type of gun storage not only for long guns but for pistols as well.  When shooting Frontiersman a place to charge the cylinders is nice to have.  And last but not least is plenty of organized storage space, think of everything you’ll want to bring spare ammo, drinks, snacks, etc.

I started in 1992.

Built a cart that carried everything I needed and some extra tools and more ammo than needed.

Plus a small box I could put my lunch in and stay cold with an ice bottle of water I drank as it melted.

As time went on, read I got older, I made a smaller cart that carried only the necessities.

2 long guns and ammo for the match and couple of tools.

Long rod for that squib that seems to show up in others guns.

This worked well for years but it got harder to push or pull through the rocks and even the sand.

I started seeing more 4 wheel carts show up.

These did not have the issues with the rocks or sand.

I thought seriously about building a 4 wheel cart.

I did not but I made smaller lighter more compact cart.

All the extra stuff did just find sitting int he truck where I did not have to push it around but was there in case I needed it.

Same with extra ammo and back up gun if I though I needed it.

Big fancy gun carts will turn heads but they tend to cause you to work harder than you need to.

Small carts get everything done without the need back muscles straining.

I think if I were to built another cart, it would have 4 wheels on it.

And a wooden block brake between the wheels to lock them up so it did not roll when sat on or from the wind.

10 hours ago, Nota John, SASS #51089L said:

Cart built 2003-2004 winter. Handle area lifts out of base, retained with window sash latch on either side. Have developed a lower spine issue that makes it hard to push cart uphill. Built this drive system that attaches to rear of box.   Yours Nota959208708_MyCartA.thumb.JPG.d1680049b79405cee30f8507fa4c15a7.JPG

Cart Drive A.JPG

How’s that working… what type of terrain has it seen?   I like the idea!!

On 10/17/2021 at 5:49 AM, Roscoe Regulator said:
  • Determine the axle position based on balance with guns on the cart and box full of gear.
    Make sure it won't upset with long guns on the rack and weight removed from the box. 
  • Use large wheels for rough ground or large stones.
  • Retain rifle or '97 barrels in a V instead of a U shape and save some bluing with that and snug retention when moving.
  • Keep weight of the disassembled cart to pieces you can pick up easily enough and sizes that will fit in your vehicle.

Great advice!  

On 10/18/2021 at 8:25 AM, Rev. Stanley Otten III Bud said:

Works just fine. Club where I use it has hard packed/crushed stone roadway with  bays extending off road. Bays are either fine crushed stone or grass. Wil post updated photo . Yours. Nota

On 10/18/2021 at 8:25 AM, Rev. Stanley Otten III Bud said:

Here is the final product. Plastic sheet guard added to prevent  grass blades from being drawn into the sprocket/chain. Any other questions, PM me. Yours Nota

Cart Drive C.jpg

The red one I made years ago.  It carried everything I needed with room to spare.  It did not fold down at all.  I drive a minivan, so no problem.  The red, white and blue one is a year old.  It carries what I need, but not much else.  It breaks down into 3 pieces, but I still have the van so I don't use that feature.  They are fun to build.  These are number 3 and 5 of carts I have put together.  Winter is coming.  Maybe number 6 coming up??

Chancy

IMG_5727edited.jpg

IMG_5730edited.jpg

IMG_2692.JPEG

IMG_2693.JPEG

Okay, here is the latest iteration of my prototype guncart. It has seen sveral modifications and currently uses heavy magnets to keep long guns in place. They work very well on rough terrain. The leather bag holds first aid kit, extra hearing protection, screwdrivers etc. Belt with holsters for relief. Ammo box or cooler in between the butts of the long guns. Small bags to hold ammo ride in the tray.

gc5-1.jpg

gc5-2.jpg

gc5-3.jpg

You said you wanted to see the ugly too, right?  This was my first.  Made completely from 2x4's.  Needed bigger wheels, and a place to put my sixguns.  The canvas sack has a copper wire insert in the top seam with loops.  The copper keeps the top of the bag open so I can dump my empties in it, and the loops are on cup hooks so I can easily pull the bag off to empty it.  I left it semi-rough rather than sand it all smooth and put a pretty finish on it... it wasn't pretty enough to get a nice finish.

image.thumb.png.6eff251f8ed921a9ae115afb55fb2220.png

I made it from one sheet of plywood, veneered all the edges so that it looks like all solid wood, although there are a few pieces of solid oak in key locations.

Comes apart in two pieces for easy transport.

DSCF2362.jpg

Archived