Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

Bread pudding recipe


Recommended Posts

Due to circumstances, I find myself needing to fend for myself this weekend.  Fear not, I will never starve.  On the cooking shows when a chef has bread and is stuck for what to do with it, he makes bread pudding.

 

I find myself with nine slices of whole grain Breads of different types and some pita bread. September was whole grain bread month. It seems the recipes always include raisins, cinnamon, nutmeg, cream and eggs. Any suggestions?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

With a mix of breads like that I would be tempted to first make a stovetop stuffing (sauted onions and celery, bread cubes, poultry seasoning, and vegetable or chicken stock), then turn that into a savory bread pudding.  Let it cool, make your custard of eggs, cream, etc.  Put stuffing/dressing into a greased oven-safe dish, pour custard over it and bake.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Back in the 80's a bunch of us would venture forth from the office about once a month to visit Dave's Garden Cafe, off upper Market Street in San Francisco.

 

Our favorite entree' was a chicken fusilli dish (washed down with a carafe or two of red wine)... followed by a wonderful dessert of Bread Pudding with Whiskey Sauce - known as "Hard Sauce" in some circles.  ^_^

 

 

 

BREAD PUDDING WITH WHISKEY SAUCE

 

Pudding Ingredients

3 eggs, beaten

1 cup white sugar

2 1/2 cups whole milk

1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

4 fresh peaches - peeled, pitted and sliced

4 apples - peeled, cored and sliced

6 cups day-old bread cubes

6 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces

                                                                       

Sauce Ingredients

1 cup whiskey

1 pound butter

2 cups white sugar

 

Directions

   

1

 Coat a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

 

   

2

 In a large bowl, combine eggs, 1 cup sugar, milk, cinnamon and nutmeg and stir until smooth. Fold in peaches, apples and bread cubes, until bread is well coated. Pour into prepared baking dish. Dot with 6 tablespoons butter.

 

   

3

 Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour, until set. Serve warm with whiskey sauce.

 

   

4  

 To make whiskey sauce: In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine whiskey, 1 pound butter and 2 cups sugar. Cook and stir until sugar dissolves and sauce is smooth.   Remove from heat and serve hot.  Note:  This is a particularly "hard" hard sauce.  You can reduce the whiskey by half and it'll still be quite tasty.  

 

 

 

   

 

Edited by Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

 

BREAD PUDDING WITH WHISKEY SAUCE

 

Pudding Ingredients

3 eggs, beaten

1 cup white sugar

2 1/2 cups whole milk

1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

4 fresh peaches - peeled, pitted and sliced

4 apples - peeled, cored and sliced

6 cups day-old bread cubes

6 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces

                                                                       

Sauce Ingredients

1 cup whiskey

1 pound butter

2 cups white sugar

 

Directions

   

1

 Coat a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

 

   

2

 In a large bowl, combine eggs, 1 cup sugar, milk, cinnamon and nutmeg and stir until smooth. Fold in peaches, apples and bread cubes, until bread is well coated. Pour into prepared baking dish. Dot with 6 tablespoons butter.

 

   

3

 Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour, until set. Serve warm with whiskey sauce.

 

   

4  

 To make whiskey sauce: In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine whiskey, 1 pound butter and 2 cups sugar. Cook and stir until sugar dissolves and sauce is smooth.   Remove from heat and serve hot.  Note:  This is a particularly "hard" hard sauce.  You can reduce the whiskey by half and it'll still be quite tasty.  

 

 

 

   

 

 

I thought the recipe called for repeatedly tasting the whiskey to make sure it was of the highest quality.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Back in the 80's a bunch of us would venture forth from the office about once a month to visit Dave's Garden Cafe, off upper Market Street in San Francisco.

 

Our favorite entree' was a chicken fusilli dish (washed down with a carafe or two of red wine)... followed by a wonderful dessert of Bread Pudding with Whiskey Sauce - known as "Hard Sauce" in some circles.  ^_^

 

 

 

BREAD PUDDING WITH WHISKEY SAUCE

 

Pudding Ingredients

3 eggs, beaten

1 cup white sugar

2 1/2 cups whole milk

1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

4 fresh peaches - peeled, pitted and sliced

4 apples - peeled, cored and sliced

6 cups day-old bread cubes

6 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces

                                                                       

Sauce Ingredients

1 cup whiskey

1 pound butter

2 cups white sugar

 

Directions

   

1

 Coat a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

 

   

2

 In a large bowl, combine eggs, 1 cup sugar, milk, cinnamon and nutmeg and stir until smooth. Fold in peaches, apples and bread cubes, until bread is well coated. Pour into prepared baking dish. Dot with 6 tablespoons butter.

 

   

3

 Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour, until set. Serve warm with whiskey sauce.

 

   

4  

 To make whiskey sauce: In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine whiskey, 1 pound butter and 2 cups sugar. Cook and stir until sugar dissolves and sauce is smooth.   Remove from heat and serve hot.  Note:  This is a particularly "hard" hard sauce.  You can reduce the whiskey by half and it'll still be quite tasty.  

 

 

 

   

 

Swap the whiskey for good dark rum.  Some times I'm tempted to just eat a bowl of the sauce and throw the pudding away.  It's also  good over ice cream, several kinds of pie, and smeared on toast.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Swap the whiskey for good dark rum.  Some times I'm tempted to just eat a bowl of the sauce and throw the pudding away.  It's also  good over ice cream, several kinds of pie, and smeared on toast.

Smeared on toast, now that's gotta' be way worse than good 'ole vegemite !!:P

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Soooo, when I finally got around to making this, I have a bad back so I can’t stand for long. I had 8 slices of multigrain bread, 3 dinner rolls and a corn bread muffin. recipes favor the bread being less than fresh so I toasted the bread.

 

i mighta shoulda coulda used more sugar.  ))))

 

 

81CB842D-39B6-4A22-826E-0ED226B2CA62.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Made me think of a cook book I have.  "Recipes your way"  Lots of basic recipes but give you option.  List of breads- pick one    List of fruits-   pick one or more   Nuts      Milk   Spices  and Topper.    Nothing game changing but gives you different choices and options you might not have thought about.  Recipes for breakfast to dinner and dessert plus snacks    GW

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.