SASS Wire Forum

WTB .457 500gr Bullet Mold (Found)

High Cotton

Looking to start casting some long-range bullets for my 45-70.  From what I hear you want to toss 500 gr down range for the best grouping.  So, I’m looking for mold to cast my own bullets.  Please let me know what you have.  Or feel free to toss some advice my way as well. 

Thanks Much

High Cotton

It's tough to beat Lyman's Postell (Lyman mold 457132) bullet for serious long range use.  My alloy in this mold comes out at 538 grains.  I've never tried it with smokeless powder, but it really works well with FFg.

32 minutes ago, Jackalope said:

It's tough to beat Lyman's Postell (Lyman mold 457132) bullet for serious long range use.  My alloy in this mold comes out at 538 grains.  I've never tried it with smokeless powder, but it really works well with FFg.

Unfortunately it seems that they are sold out everywhere.  I was hoping to pick up a used one from someone.

Thanks for the advise!  I will keep my eyes open for one.

6 minutes ago, Jeb Stuart #65654 said:

I have a Lyman  mold, 535 gr Postell #457132 and a Lyman 500 gr round nose #457125  Both in original boxes and in mint condition.

$90.00 each shipped

Jeb PM Sent.

Thanks

Smokeless and black powder?
Smokeless - cast check bullet

Black - Paul Jones Postell if you find one. Brooks and Buffalo Arm Co. Lyman Postell (inexpensive, but, hard to get the bullet out of the mold) .458-.459 bullet and .459 sizing dies 

Good Morning High Cotton,

I just bought a bunch of molds in a auction and I think I saw just what you are looking for, If you still need one I will be happy to check to make sure.

7 hours ago, Major General Shagnasty said:

Good Morning High Cotton,

I just bought a bunch of molds in a auction and I think I saw just what you are looking for, If you still need one I will be happy to check to make sure.

What do you have?

Thanks

High Cotton, I have a like new Lyman Postell 457132AX with handles.  This is a 535 Gr .459 dia single cavity mold.  $95 plus shipping.  I also have a Paul Jones profile made by Pioneer, 550 gr, .459 dia NIB  $110.  If you buy both I'll ship for free.  I have other 45/70 molds as well.

Hi Cotton,  I just acquired a 45-60  and if you have a 45-70 300 gr. mold I will trade you my  .457 500gr for it, or work a 3 way trade.

On 10/20/2021 at 5:57 AM, Waco Jim said:

High Cotton, I have a like new Lyman Postell 457132AX with handles.  This is a 535 Gr .459 dia single cavity mold.  $95 plus shipping.  I also have a Paul Jones profile made by Pioneer, 550 gr, .459 dia NIB  $110.  If you buy both I'll ship for free.  I have other 45/70 molds as well.

Thanks Waco Jim,  I'm now good with molds.  Sorry I should have said that in the post.

On 10/21/2021 at 9:39 PM, Major General Shagnasty said:

Hi Cotton,  I just acquired a 45-60  and if you have a 45-70 300 gr. mold I will trade you my  .457 500gr for it, or work a 3 way trade.

Sorry I don't have a 300 gr Maybe someone else on the thread does?

Have a Lyman mold, 500 grain, it is .458 before going through a sizer and lube die. it has Lyman mold handle.  The mold has 12-98   744 on one side and 457125A on the other side.  $80.00 plus shipping, used.

• High Cotton changed the title to WTB .457 500gr Bullet Mold (Found)

Archived