SASS Wire Forum

Something else that is very different between our two english speaking countries is the spelling...

eg...   Aus  Theatre...USA   Theater

Calibre              Caliber

Honour              Honor

There are so many of them , that's just 3 examples...why is it so ?

For what it's worth I actually think your way makes more sense.

I know Marshall Mo Hare will know..he is up with these sorts of things...

The story I got was that ol' Noah wasn't so much "simplifying" the spelling as he was making sure that we here in the brand new United States did not spell things the same way they did over there in the EVIL EMPIRE under George Toid.

Yep, it was Noah Webster who made all those decisions.  He described his teachers in West Hartford as the dregs of humanity and saw it as his life’s work to improve education.  When he died the rights to his dictionary were bought by the Merriam brothers.

15 minutes ago, Buffalo Creek Law Dog said:

Canada spells words the same as Australia 

And then we throw in some French just to REALLY confuse things ne c'est pas?

(And, it confuses the heck out of auto correct, d'accord?)

Lever... Just tried it, I pronounce both "e"s and the one "v". I also pronounce root as root and not as route; and neither of them sounds like rout.

On edit; And since french was mentioned, none are pronounced roux.

10 hours ago, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

well down under they speak some thing , akin to the Queens English 

here in the USA , we speak , some thing else , In the south it be Redneck southren english 

works out better that way  , more akin to Scots english 

CB :P

I think we downunder would embarrass the heck out of the Queen with what we've done to the Queens English.

well as most of your fore bearers , were  of questional morals , aka prisoners 

what would one expect ? :rolleyes:

folks , like me from the south , tend to be renagades , rebels and rouges , when on our best behavior 

our version of English , ain't quite as strange as what y'all call English , and y'all eat some really nasty stuff aka vegimite 

was told it would cure a hang over , but so will a couple more shots of hair of the dog 

CB 

by the way y'all talk funny to boot :P

40 minutes ago, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

folks , like me from the south , tend to be renagades , rebels and rouges , when on our best behavior 

our version of English , ain't quite as strange as what y'all call English , and y'all eat some really nasty stuff aka vegimite 

was told it would cure a hang over , but so will a couple more shots of hair of the dog 

CB 

That would explain all the people wearing makeup and mascara in New Orleans. :lol:

Up here in the west we have renegades and rogues who would rob trains, banks and such because their behavior was outside the norms of polite society.

Just having fun with ya CB:D

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

49 minutes ago, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

folks , like me from the south , tend to be renagades , rebels and rouges

Red makeup powders? :P

8 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

And then we throw in some French just to REALLY confuse things ne c'est pas?

(And, it confuses the heck out of auto correct, d'accord?)

Especially with Quebec French thrown in.  I worked with a Francophone Air Force Corporal who, when he joined up, didn't speak a word of English. When he was stationed at Metz, France, he said when he went into town wearing civies, that the locals thought he was an American trying to speak French.

7 hours ago, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

CB 

Fill 'ya hands..I say that's bold talk from an Arkansas Lead Slinger who dares put down our Aussie Vegemite !!:ph34r:

10 hours ago, Buffalo Creek Law Dog said:

Especially with Quebec French thrown in.  I worked with a Francophone Air Force Corporal who, when he joined up, didn't speak a word of English. When he was stationed at Metz, France, he said when he went into town wearing civies, that the locals thought he was an American trying to speak French.

That is what my Father experienced as well.

He and a Squadron Leader went to a restaurant in Metz with a Quebecoise Warrant Officer.

The W.O. tried to order and the waiter turned to Dad and the SL and asked in English: "What is this man saying? I think it is a kind of French, but I don't understand it!"

Some of the difficulties may be because of the British conquest of Quebec, when for all intents and purposes, it was cut off from France after 1759.

The French language in Quebec then developed along much different lines than in Europe.

In some respects it is likely closer to mid 1700's patois of the settlers of the time.

1 hour ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

That is what my Father experienced as well.

He and a Squadron Leader went to a restaurant in Metz with a Quebecoise Warrant Officer.

The W.O. tried to order and the waiter turned to Dad and the SL and asked in English: "What is this man saying? I think it is a kind of French, but I don't understand it!"

Some of the difficulties may be because of the British conquest of Quebec, when for all intents and purposes, it was cut off from France after 1759.

The French language in Quebec then developed along much different lines than in Europe.

In some respects it is likely closer to mid 1700's patois of the settlers of the time.

When you hear them talking amongst themselves, you hear the odd English word thrown in, such as, teenager or weekend, due to no French equivalent.

Remember back in the early 1980's when the new CF18 fighter jet was coming on line and it was going to be called the Hornet?  I was stationed at NDHQ at the time and the big deal was the "Hornet is coming", They even had signs up saying the Hornet is coming, then, all of a sudden nothing, it was from then on known as the CF18.  Why, because there was no French equivalent for the word Hornet.  The CF18 is the only aircraft in the history of the Royal Canadian Air Force that does not have a name.

8 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Except when they don’t.

Officially, in Canada the word jail is spelled gaol, it's old English however, everyone spells it jail.  Many, many moon ago I was a correction officer with the Alberta Provincial Gaols before I went back into the military.

18 hours ago, Buffalo Creek Law Dog said:

I used to go to Quebec province a lot on vacation.  Intending to show respect for the language and culture, I made an effort to improve my long dormant study of French.  About two words out of my mouth it would become apparent that French was not my first language.  But the effort was appreciated by the locals, even though their ears were probably hurting from listening to me.

It was kind of fun to razz the locals in their own language.  At camp one time my uncles and I spotted one of the camp workers dunking her mop in the lake.  The temptation was just too great and I called out, "Hey, nous bouisson cette eau [We drink that water]."  She laughed and walked away so I'm pretty sure she understood me.

4 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

But they do have the good sense to drive in the right side of the road.

Only cos' they put the steering wheel on the wrong side !!<_<

11 hours ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

Only cos' they put the steering wheel on the wrong side !!<_<

Ahh, you should see the cars in Siberia. Half the cars have steering wheel on the right, half on the left.  The ones on the right are cheap imported used cars from Japan and China.

On 10/18/2021 at 5:12 PM, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Ahh, you should see the cars in Siberia. Half the cars have steering wheel on the right, half on the left.  The ones on the right are cheap imported used cars from Japan and China.

So does everybody in Siberia drive down the middle of the road?

Archived