SASS Wire Forum

Root Beer

Subdeacon Joe

Wherever I drink a root beer a picture appears in my mind. It's my view as a kid from the back passenger seat looking over my dads shoulder in the driver's seat. The car hop is putting the tray hooked onto the window with those frosty glass mugs of root beer. No ice, but ice cold in those mugs.

2 minutes ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

Wherever I drink a root beer a picture appears in my mind. It's my view as a kid from the back passenger seat looking over my dads shoulder in the driver's seat. The car hop is putting the tray hooked onto the window with those frosty glass mugs of root beer. No ice, but ice cold in those mugs.

I have very similar memories. A&W Drive-In restaurant. Footling hotdogs, fries and a cold mug of root beer. :)

Per Wiki:

While no standard recipe exists, the primary ingredients in modern root beer are filtered water, sugar, and safrole-free sassafras extract, which complements other flavors. Common flavorings are vanilla, caramel, wintergreen, black cherry bark, licorice root, sarsaparilla root, nutmeg, acacia, anise, molasses, cinnamon, sweet birch, and honey. Soybean protein, or yucca is sometimes used to create a foamy quality, and caramel coloring is used to make the beverage brown.[13]

LL

Howdy,

the only diet or sugar free drink I like is diet root beer.

I drink water instead of any other diet drink.

I tried diet cola with rum one time and just felt sick afterwards.

Bad chemicals we dont need Im sure.

Best

CR

The first job I ever had was parking lot cleanup at the Tick Tock Root Beer stand in Logan, Utah.  I was ten years old and earned two bits for about 45 minutes work every morning before the opened up.

Root beer was a nickel for a small and a dime for a large.  I never got home with more than fifteen cents and I learned about the third day that two smalls cost the same but had about 25% more root beer.

In a fast food restaurant - I believe it was a Burger King - in Miami, they had Birch beer. It tasted quite similar to root beer, but it was pink instead of brown.

I have had many people tell me that Dr Pepper tastes like carbonated Robitussin (if they don't have that over there, that's a brand of cough syrup). But I like it.

It's all a matter of taste.

3 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Jeez Louise.....you guys don't like Vegemite but you can drink sarsaparilla? 

To me its tastes like the worst medicine I've ever had to endure......yuck!

I have never seen Vegemite in any grocery stores around here. Had to look it up to see what it is. But, if I was looking in the root beer aisle of the store, I may have missed it. Looks like amazon carries it. Next time I am at the grocery store, I will look in the jelly/jam aisle. Or, it may be located in the more exotic aisle, next to the calf-fries. I will see how it stacks up to some strawberry jam, on a "cat-head" buttered biscuit (which here, ain't cookies). 

As the saying goes...two nations separated, not only by thousands of miles of sea water, but separated by a common language/customs/definitions.

(I was hoping for a daughter-in-law from Queensland. Didn't happen. Maybe if I had had some Vegemite to offer/bribe her???).

Hey...it's all good.

W.K. . 

Publix has a foreign food aisle. Has oriental food. Has Hispanic food. Has kosher food. Indian food. And has British food - Heinz beans, Cadbury chocolate, mushy beans, golden syrup, custard powder, and marmite. Not sure whether they have Vegemite or not.

never knew Sarsaparilla and Rootbeer were related til this thread.  good to know.

my first memory of rootbeer was as a float.

I have always loved root beer .

Some are great all are good .

But we have a local brewery who makes a Amazing Root Beer .

When I go in and have a beer once in a while I will usually buy a jug of Root Beer to take home.

So Saith The Rooster

There was a restaurant chain called Royal Castle, not sure if it was nationwide or regional but they had Birch Beer which tasted like Root Beer but not as sweet.

One time I bought a six pack of a locally produced root beer.  Got home with it, popped the cap off of one bottle and got a very loud POP!   "Wow!  That's really carbonated!" I thought.  Took a sip.  Holy cow!  It hoad fermented in the bottle.  Had my wife try to confirm.  Popped open another bottle.  Same thing.  

Took it all back to the store (one of a family owned chain of 3 or 4 markets).  Got hold of the manager and told him what was going on.  He didn't believe me.  I had him open a bottle I had brought back.  Yep.  Fermented.  He pulled a few bottles off the shelves.  Fermented.  Pulled all the stock off the shelves.  

Dang, that stuff was good.

We have a local brewery that makes a mighty fine Root Beer. 

https://millstreambrewing.com/beer/soda/

2 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

One time I bought a six pack of a locally produced root beer.  Got home with it, popped the cap off of one bottle and got a very loud POP!   "Wow!  That's really carbonated!" I thought.  Took a sip.  Holy cow!  It hoad fermented in the bottle.  Had my wife try to confirm.  Popped open another bottle.  Same thing.  

Took it all back to the store (one of a family owned chain of 3 or 4 markets).  Got hold of the manager and told him what was going on.  He didn't believe me.  I had him open a bottle I had brought back.  Yep.  Fermented.  He pulled a few bottles off the shelves.  Fermented.  Pulled all the stock off the shelves.  

Dang, that stuff was good.

You didn't offer to buy it all at a discount?

Around these parts we have; IBC, Mug, Frostie, A & W, Dublin, Virgils, Maine, Boylan, Barqs, Sprecher, and Triple X. 

I reckon there may be more brands, but that is all I can think of, from what we have available at the store. 

I have noticed that when I watch non-Americans, on-line, trying out different brands of American soda-pop, that not all that many like root beer. 

I guess that may come from not having been a teen-ager, here in the States, and going to a car-hop drive in, and getting a frosty mug-glass of root beer, with a big head on it. A root beer, a chili-cheese dog, some onion rings, or fries, and a sundae for dessert, all on a tray hanging on your partially rolled down window, which was delivered to your car by the best looking chick on roller skates, you ever saw!!! :D

Nelly-Bell !!!! That's some good!!!  :FlagAm:

Even better when you are in a '57 Chevy.

I pity you people not being alive in the '50's. ;)

Barqs is the only root beer my kids will drink.  When they're home visiting, I keep a couple of 12 packs in the fridge.  Coca Cola now owns the frachise.  

barqs.png

I used to make my own root beer.  I had just put up 50 bottles of root beer and my kids had some friend come over to play.  They were about 7 or 8.  TO give the carbonation to the root beer, you place one eight of a teaspoon of sugar into the bottle so the yeast can continue to ferment and give the bottle of root beer fizz.  Of course, you get a wee bit of alcohol as a result.  I went to the store and left the kids to their own devices - mistakes.  When I came home I had a whole mess of kids snickered.  Red faces and silly.  I figured I would get into a lot of trouble with their parents so I called them up and said we were having such a good time I wanted to keep them for supper.  They said "sure" and I fed the little twerps and sobered them up and scolded them for getting more than one glass of root beer.  The kids, all grown now, still remember the wild time they had and Mr Anderson's house. :-(

STL Suomi

(We make a mild drink out of cranberry juice  with yeast - it was for grandmothers who were getting grouchy and it was called grandmas drink.  Kept her quiet. :-) (good in very small proportion for ornery children.  Gets they sleepy. Used to be very popular in my Grandfathers country of origin.

Archived