SASS Wire Forum

Aussie greeting question

Alpo

Is that how everybody in Oz greets everybody, every damn time?

I meet someone, and I might say hello, or good morning, or how you doing, or howdy. All kinds of different greetings.

But whenever there is an Australian in a movie or a television show or an Australian made commercial trying to sucker the tourists to come over there and give them our money, they all say the same thing.

G'day.

9 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Or G’day mate.

Its usually G'day mate if its a mate (but not always you can say G'day mate to a stranger) or just G'day if you don't know them (like a bank teller, check out operator etc).

But to answer Alpo's query "Is that how everybody in Oz greets everybody, every damn time"?   ...... that's a yes.

16 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Y'all need to expand your vocabulary. Learn some other greetings. Hey-howaya. Top o' the morning. Konichiwa. Namaste. Aloha. Shalom.

Ok.....I just asked my wife if I'm allowed to say "G'day good lookin" to females"......she said I must keep to my known vocabulary :) :) 

45 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

.I just asked my wife if I'm allowed to say "G'day good lookin" to females

It's not, "G'day good lookin' ", it's, "Hey good lookin' "

(dang furriners cain't talk english :P)

31 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

An Aussie Flight Leftenant I knew in 'Nam used to to say "G'day, Cobber" to me and my bunk mate.  I never asked what "cobber" meant.  I was a afraid it would lead to bloodshed.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/cobber

cobber

[ kob-er ]

noun - Australian.

- a close fellow male friend; chum; pal.

8 hours ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

My son used to date a girl from Queensland, who was up here doing some work for the girl scouts, or some such thing. 

We loved her, and her accent.

For some reason, she thought we had an accent. :blink:

Go figure. 

She was right...

Myself I could listen to a real southern drawl accent all day ;)

5 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Isn't that New Age for, "Well, bless your heart."?

My understanding is that is Dot Indian for, "Hey Bubba, 'sup?"

14 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

An Aussie Flight Leftenant I knew in 'Nam used to to say "G'day, Cobber" to me and my bunk mate.  I never asked what "cobber" meant.  I was a afraid it would lead to bloodshed.

Reminds me of working on the border and the mexicans I was working with started calling me wheto (or weto, or jueto ... I never met anyone who knew how it's spelled).  I asked what that meant and the only answer I got was that it was me so I stopped pushing it.  I didn't know if there was fixin to be a fight or what but it all turned out friendly.  Found out later it just means white boy.  No negative connotation by itself.  I started dating some girls down there and they called me wheto too. 

1 hour ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

Reminds me of working on the border and the mexicans I was working with started calling me wheto (or weto, or jueto ... I never met anyone who knew how it's spelled).  I asked what that meant and the only answer I got was that it was me so I stopped pushing it.  I didn't know if there was fixin to be a fight or what but it all turned out friendly.  Found out later it just means white boy.  No negative connotation by itself.  I started dating some girls down there and they called me wheto too. 

Supposedly spelled guero IIRC. But sounds like weto.

No negative if actually referring to a white boy (or girl), but say that to a hispanic person? Get ready for a fight!

Yá'át'ééh

Being reared on the edge of the Navajo Nation...this was familiar to me at a young age.

One of Daddy's hands was Navajo...Gilbert Tom was his name.

I always thought it funny in the John Wayne movies the would say Yah Ta Hey!!!

Just now, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Yá'át'ééh

Being reared on the edge of the Navajo Nation...this was familiar to me at a young age.

One of Daddy's hands was Navajo...Gilbert Tom was his name.

I always thought it funny in the John Wayne movies the would say Yah Ta Hey!!!

Sounds like you are saying Yacht A!;)

That's how I always heard it - ya ta hay. But then, I always heard it on television or in a movie. On The Brady Bunch, where they went to the Grand Canyon and camped in the bottom of it, Alice runs into Tonto and says it to him, and he says it back, correcting her pronunciation.

Several years ago a fellow came on this board and announced that he was one quarter Cherokee. And someone that was here at the time (who himself claimed to be 1/8 Shawnee) welcomed him by telling him ya ta hay. I thought that it was quite unlikely that that term meant anything in either Shawnee or Cherokee, but if it made them feel good, let them say it. They were speaking Indian. B)

Archived