SASS Wire Forum

Sausage strips

Rye Miles #13621

On 10/15/2021 at 10:58 PM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Uh-oh…some label reading is in order for me. 
Does it smell and taste like SPAM? If so, I will have to pass. 

I do not like SPAM and I especially hate fried SPAM or bologna. That crap gives me headaches. Must be the nitrates or sulfates or something. That and it just plain sux! 

C'mon Pat..just lather it with Vegemite & it will taste just dandy...

Have to admitt I'm not a fan of most processed meats...

Okay, cooked up some of this stuff this morning. Cooked it the same way I cook my bacon. On a rack, in the oven at 450° for 14 minutes. Came out fairly crispy.

Taste? Meh. Sort of a mashup of bacon and sausage. Somewhat tasty but a hint of greasy-ness. 

I wouldn't buy it again, partly because it's over a dollar a pound more than bacon and because I didn't find the taste worth the extra cost. YMMV :lol:

14 minutes ago, Clay Mosby said:

I wouldn't buy it again, partly because it's over a dollar a pound more than bacon and because I didn't find the taste worth the extra cost. YMMV :lol:

Strange,  Sawmill Mary buys it because it's less expensive than the real stuff. 

I just throw it in a medium hot skillet for a minute or two and flip. Until it shrinks a little.  Still limber.  I've never cared for chrispy bacon.  

58 minutes ago, Clay Mosby said:

Okay, cooked up some of this stuff this morning. Cooked it the same way I cook my bacon. On a rack, in the oven at 450° for 14 minutes. Came out fairly crispy.

Taste? Meh. Sort of a mashup of bacon and sausage. Somewhat tasty but a hint of greasy-ness. 

It was $2.00 cheaper than the cheapest bacon at the store I go to and it wasn't on sale. I find it quite tasty myself but everyone's palate is different!;)

Archived