SASS Wire Forum

Sausage strips

Rye Miles #13621

Sawmill Mary bought a package or two and they were a passable good.  The next week they had them marked down to $1 a package so she bought 7 packages,  I think.  Had some for breakfast this morning.  

I figure it's sausage flavored SPAM. 

9 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

Uh-oh…some label reading is in order for me. 
Does it smell and taste like SPAM? If so, I will have to pass. 

I do not like SPAM and I especially hate fried SPAM or bologna. That crap gives me headaches. Must be the nitrates or sulfates or something. That and it just plain sux! 

18 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I do not like SPAM and I especially hate fried SPAM or bologna. That crap gives me headaches. Must be the nitrates or sulfates or something. That and it just plain sux! 

SPAM comes in many flavors now. 

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

It's NOT spam!!

13 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

It tastes like bacon. But it's a composite pressed construction.  

True but my point was it's not anything like Spam, it tastes waaaay better too! 

23 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

This product looks like another answer in search of a question. 

What does it give me that bacon, or sausage, or spam doesn’t offer?

Personally, I like all three but never felt the need for bacon-flavored spam. 

5 minutes ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

Nor spam flavored bacon.

2 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Nor spam flavored bacon.

Exactly!

Now if it were a shelf stable meat product that I could take backpacking, heat over a fire, and pretend I was eating bacon…

I’d buy a pack of that. 

32 minutes ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

Don't knock it till you try it!! It's really pretty good. I cooks up just like bacon, crispy and tasty!:)

3 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

If it tastes like bacon, why not just get bacon? I don't care for bacon that much, :o(GASP!), so I've never got the "Everything's better with bacon" idea. I like sausage, so I would get sausage. I like spam, too.:D

2 hours ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

I recently saw with horror this stuff being advertised. We have real bacon, and real sausage. Why this?

Why not?? It’s pretty darn good!!

5 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Don't knock it till you try it!! It's really pretty good. I cooks up just like bacon, crispy and tasty!:)

So does SPAM if you slice it thin and fry it good. Only way my dad would eat it. He lived on it a few years in the S. Pacific in WWII and wouldn't touch the stuff. I fried some up for breakfast when we were camping once and he actually liked it.

JHC

1 hour ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

So does SPAM if you slice it thin and fry it good. Only way my dad would eat it. He lived on it a few years in the S. Pacific in WWII and wouldn't touch the stuff. I fried some up for breakfast when we were camping once and he actually liked it.

JHC

I haven’t bought Spam in quite a while but I agree if you cut it thin it’s cooks up nice and is pretty good.
These sausage strips don’t taste anything like Spam, they’re actually a lot like bacon. I’m a fan!

13 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

Sawmill Mary bought a package or two and they were a passable good.  The next week they had them marked down to $1 a package so she bought 7 packages,  I think.  Had some for breakfast this morning.  

My wife (she who must be obeyed) thinks anything that she buys, on sale at the grocery store, always tastes better. Having just got over a fight with covid, I can't taste or smell anything, anyway. She knows this, and I have to keep my eye on her. She might try to slip me something she knows I don't like. 

I know one thing. Not being able to smell, or taste sure has saved me a lot of money on bathroom deodorant sprays.  

Tried to pick some up at the store today. They didn’t have it and the butcher / meat department guy had never heard of it. 

I guess I will look elsewhere. 

14 minutes ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

The advertising campaign is obviously working!

As for me, "let no new thing arise" is my watchword. Especially at breakfast.

What advertising campaign?

I am going by a Pard’s recommendation. 

I saw it in Safeway when I did the shopping this evening.  Picked up a package.  I'll be cooking some in the morning.

If it's like what I think it's like, it might make an interesting twist on jalapeno poppers, cured pork wrapped corn, shrimp, or scallops.

3 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

What advertising campaign?

I am going by a Pard’s recommendation. 

I have to admit I saw it on TV, it was $2.99 at my local grocery, I figured at that price I’d try it. Bacon was up to $6.00!! 

Just had some. Crispy, chewy, not greasy, a little bit spicy.

If you took the crispy outside from a fried patty of Johnsonville sausage that's what these are when cooked.

It goes on our "Will Buy Again" list. 

Hmmm.... sausage wrapped meatloaf.....hmmmmm

I like Spam.  Spam and rice.  Span fried in a sandwich.  Spam and pineapple on rice.  Span sliced on white bread. 

Tastes good to me.  Keeps your insides oiled so you don't lock up a bearing. 

STL Suomi

When I was a growing boy I would help dad work in the woods.  He was into "forestry management" (aka a logger).  He would bring a can of TREET caned meat (because it was cheaper than SPAM), a loaf of Wonder bread (the only bread bought in our household), a can of Van Camp's pork and beans. He'd brush off a stump of the latest fell tree and take his pocket knife and slice up the TREET.  He'd take two slices and make himself a sandwich. I would eat the rest with a half loaf of bread. We'd split the can of beans. 

Later in my professional career,  I traveled a lot.  I've been in most major cities and have eaten in many fine restaurants.  Seated at the table in a group looking over a menu fit for a king,  I hear, "Oh, I don't know what I want. Nothing looks good.".  I'm thinking,  "You ain't been hungry enough until you've eaten TREET on Wonder bread off a stump in the woods and thought it was great.".

3 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

Seated at the table in a group looking over a menu fit for a king,  I hear, "Oh, I don't know what I want. Nothing looks good.".  I'm thinking,  "You ain't been hungry enough until you've eaten TREET on Wonder bread off a stump in the woods and thought it was great.".

I usually have the opposite problem - EVERYTHING looks good.

Although I was in one place that a girlfriend wanted to try, a vegetarian place in the '80s, where nothing looked or sounded good.  After the date I stopped at a burger joint to get something to eat.

We've tried it and thought it was pretty good. I liked em with pancakes. Bottom pancake then several of the sausage strips then top pancake. 

Playing with my food again:

Brussel Sprouts Pot Stickers

(makes about 12)

2 Strips Johnsonville Sausage Strips in ¼” dice

½ Pkg Shaved Brussel Sprouts (cut any large pieces, you want shreads)

3 Green Onions, Chopped

2 TBS Yellow Onion, minced

1 TBS Ginger, grated

2 tsp each, Ponzu, Soy Sauce, Oyster Sauce.

½ tsp each Fish Sauce, Pepper Sauce such as Tabasco (I used a homemade Fresno Pepper and Garlic sauce)

A little Sesame Oil

Black Pepper and Salt to taste

Round Pot Sticker/Wonton Wrappers (or square ones)

Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat.  Add chopped sausage and let it render for a minute or two. Add the Brussel Sprouts, Green Onions, Yellow Onion, and Ginger. Add the Ponzu, Soy, Oyster, Fish, and Pepper Sauces.  Cook for a few minutes until the vegetables are thoroughly cooked through.  Remove from heat, let cool.
Use your favorite Pot Sticker wrappers. Fill with about a teaspoon of filling, crimp edges, 
Wipe out skillet, heat over medium high heat, add about 1 TBS of oil.  Place pot stickers in pan, let brown on the bottom.   When a medium brown, and with the lid for your pan in one hand, add about ½ cup of water, and immediately put the lid on the pan,  Cook until water has evaporated and pot stickers have gotten a dark brown on the bottom.  Serve.
(can use shredded cabbage in place of Brussel Sprouts, add shredded carrots, minced mushrooms, whatever floats your boat, it's your food, make it to your taste preference)

As usual, except for the 2 Sausage Strips all measurements are approximations since I just eyeballed the amounts.  I made the stuff and then, when we both liked the results, came back to write it down.  

Archived