SASS Wire Forum

Wet Tumbler problems

South Pass Kid

Recently I decided to give wet tumbling a try. I purchased the Frankfort Wet Tumbler, has anyone had an issue with the product leaking? No matter what I do I find that the tumbler leaks, bad! 

Have you contacted the company? I have used one for 3 years now without a hitch as long as I wet the rubber gasket before putting it on and tighten it.

Fortunecookie45 recently made a video where he showed a 3D printed handle the apply MORE POWER to the ring.  

I'd thank a strap wrench like used in plumbing or oil filter removing would work also. 

Maybe try some soap on the gasket and surfaces?

Mine sometime leaks a little but where I run it, it's not a problem. 

If I don't wet the gasket before I screw it on it will usually leak.

I set the tumbler on the lid from one of those big plastic storage containers.  That way, any minor drips or leaks will be contained on the plastic lid.  Making sure the sealing surfaces and rubber gasket are clean and then wetting the rubber gasket will minimize the leaking, but I still get a few drips.   I just hand tighten the cap.  No need to really clamp down on it with tools.

My tumbler used to leak. I started rubbing Dawn soap on both sides of the rubber seal. No more leaks.

3 hours ago, Silver Creek Jack said:

Have you contacted the company? I have used one for 3 years now without a hitch as long as I wet the rubber gasket before putting it on and tighten it.

This - make sure there is no grit on the sealing surfaces as well. Since I use Dawn dish soap in it I also dip the gasket into the water. Doesn’t leak unless I forget to do that or grossly overload the drum. 

I was a product tester for a guy who 3D prints those wrenches and sells them on MeWe.  Great product and my 75 year old dad with arthritic hands really likes his.  As others have said, make sure the gasket is clean and wet it before installing the lid. 

These tumblers are probably injection molded.  In addition to wetting the seal as others have recommended you may want to look at the rim of the tumbler to make sure there isn't any flashing or raised area that might cause the gasket to not lie flat.

I've been using one for 6 or 7 years. I don't do anything special, & it's never leaked. Recommend contacting F Arms.

The drum is warped.  Have them send you new drum. It fixed my problem. No more leaks.

On 10/14/2021 at 10:22 PM, Warden Callaway said:

Fortunecookie45 recently made a video where he showed a 3D printed handle the apply MORE POWER to the ring.  

I'd thank a strap wrench like used in plumbing or oil filter removing would work also. 

Maybe try some soap on the gasket and surfaces?

Mine sometime leaks a little but where I run it, it's not a problem. 

I will give it a try, mine leaks really bad basically pours out .... I have spoken to the company they are sending me parts to replace and try but some are currently out of stock etc. 

Thanks everyone for the info, I have asked the company for a new drum but they want to send me everything but. While I am waiting I will give the soap a try.  

5 minutes ago, South Pass Kid said:

I will give it a try, mine leaks really bad basically pours out .... I have spoken to the company they are sending me parts to replace and try but some are currently out of stock etc. 

Make sure a steel pin is not between the gasket and the lid. Check that there is not a moulding defect or flashing where the gasket meets the drum.

Does it leak on both ends or only one? If only one swap the lids and see if the problem follows the lid.

Is there something stuck to the threaded ring that would keep the ring from contacting the lid evenly?

8 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Make sure a steel pin is not between the gasket and the lid. Check that there is not a moulding defect or flashing where the gasket meets the drum.

Does it leak on both ends or only one? If only one swap the lids and see if the problem follows the lid.

Is there something stuck to the threaded ring that would keep the ring from contacting the lid evenly?

leaks on both sides the same way, I really believe it will turn out to be the drum but the company doesnt seem to want to replace it, I offered to send all of the original items back 

Archived