SASS Wire Forum

Chicken fried steak

Alpo

Do they have them where you live?

I see people talking about them on TV and movies all the time. We don't have chicken fried steak around here. We have country fried steak. I believe it's the same thing - it's just a different term.

So where you live, do they have them?

Yes, chicken fried steak all over California and Oregon, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Virginia and pretty much every place I have been in between. 
I did learn something though. I have seen “Country Fried Steak” on a few menus and I just assumed Chicken Fried and Country Fried Steak were the same. It appears there is a difference and that’s the gravy. 

https://www.thespruceeats.com/country-fried-versus-chicken-fried-steak-101704

Chicken fried steak here.

We were on vacation, once, way up north of the Red River, past the Indian Territory, many years ago, and there was "Country Fried Steak" on the menu. Back then I had not heard it called that, and wasn't sure if it was the same thing as a chicken fried steak. It kinda was, but it was obvious it came out of a package. If my spouse (she-who-must-be-obeyed) had served that to me, at home, I would have used it as a target for my ..50-90 Sharps. I would have wanted to see if the 500 grain bullet would have bounced off of it, or made a dent. :D

Also, down this way, we call "stuffing"..."dressing", or more precisely "dressin". It is made out of cornbread, plus different spices, and not made out of those tube-sleeve store bought "biscuits":blink:

Just different traditions, in different parts of the country. Depends on what you grew up eating, and pronouncing. I reckon most think what they grew up eating is the best tasting, and the correct pronunciation. 

I think we need to spend time investing this. So get your favorite recipe along with proper sides and we will judge you........harshly.Rules are simple

1 what mind of meat you cooking

2 how you plan cook your meat

3 what vegetables do you plan to serve

4 how are said vegetables allowed in  this country

5 should you are successful smuggling in vegetables how do you plan to cook them

6 how to you disguise vegetables to protect yourself.

7 corn bread or biscuits

8 sweet tea or I never thought my glucose could go so high sweet tea.

Now submit you entries for lots of razzzin

Yep they're called both out here in the republic of Kaliforny. There is a restraunt called "Claim Jumper" that serves up a "Chicken fried Chicken" it's a flattened chicken breast fried the same way. Man is it good ! 

I'm getting hungry just talking about it!

Thanks Pards, take care

th.jpeg-2.jpg

Chicken Fried Steak! One of our best sellers! We make them in house, have an old school Hobart cubing machine, hand carve the beef, bread them & they cover the platter we serve them on! Served with our house made mashed potatoes & gravy, it’s a stick to your ribs comfort dinner!

Mmmm we have it here in Michigan.

Love me some Chicken fried stake for Breakfast or Dinner .

So Saith The Rooster

27 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Have you noticed that chicken fried steak and chickren fried chicken both smothered in white gravy taste the same?

Maybe your meat is too thin that it can’t retain it’s own flavor.  Some restaurants hammer it out like a tenderloin.

They had some on the breakfast buffet at the Golden Corral the other week. They had so much pepper on the meat that all I could taste was hot. I guess if I had covered it up with that thick milk gravy it would have needed all that spice to have some flavor at all.

I tried it once, but I do not believe I will ever try it there again.

1 hour ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

I'm sure Australian cows have claws, sharp teeth and venom, just like everything else down under.... :blink:

image.png.bde10e87f85334b9de99fb9d29759426.png

...... that's just what we tell those bragging Texans to shut them up .......   ;)

8 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

and they are Australian cows

Means you have to eat them before they kill you

35 minutes ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

...... that's just what we tell those bragging Texans to shut them up .......   ;)

But you sent pictures and everything 

Chicken*

5 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Have you noticed that chicken fried steak and chickren fried chicken both smothered in white gravy taste the same?

I have never understood why people call fried chicken ….chicken fried chicken, maybe a northern thing, maybe some fry chicken without the batter.

Fried chicken usually means identifiable parts.  I.e., legs, wings, thighs, breasts, etc. and meant to be finger food.  Chicken fired chicken usually means some part of the chicken that has been beaten flat and fried and meant to be eaten with a knife and fork.  At least in this part of the country.

• 2 weeks later...

The Double LL Chicken Fried Steak!

902ECDE7-C08C-45B1-A2AD-7C02383F760B.jpeg

On 10/14/2021 at 7:29 PM, T.K. said:

Yep they're called both out here in the republic of Kaliforny. There is a restraunt called "Claim Jumper" that serves up a "Chicken fried Chicken" it's a flattened chicken breast fried the same way. Man is it good ! 

I'm getting hungry just talking about it!

Thanks Pards, take care

th.jpeg-2.jpg

The serving of chicken, mashed potatoes & vegies is so uge that the wife & I order one plus empty plate.  We leave the restaurant stuffed.

Archived