SASS Wire Forum

Sidearm lanyards

A lanyard attaching a sidearm to the wearer’s person is a standard for police and military uniforms in many parts of the world. RCMP constables (“Mounties”) wear them with their traditional red serge dress uniform.

Snip-it_1634247919679.jpg.1b0e569510533f5ac007c1efd445fcf8.jpg

Historically, the lanyard was to ensure that troops on horseback would not lose their sidearm while riding. The lanyard is mostly for ceremonial wear now, but it also serves as a safeguard against loss of the sidearm. It’s most common with police forces that don't often draw their sidearms.

Actually the lanyard seems to be back in "fashion" now.  I've seen numerous pictures of American soldiers using a lanyard to secure their pistol either to the holster or the LBE gear to prevent a dropped pistol from being lost.

Here is my Hong Kong Customs & Excise S&W model 10-7.

Those officers use lanyards but I’ll be darned if I can find a photo of one doing so. 
I put new grips on mine. 

1660C385-5BE1-4558-94AD-9D3756AB2A61.thumb.jpeg.05c8afe8b9e897a26b535c87c03eb00b.jpeg

Lanyards are often seen with SWAT and Tactical Police Units.

4 hours ago, Chantry said:

Actually the lanyard seems to be back in "fashion" now.  I've seen numerous pictures of American soldiers using a lanyard to secure their pistol either to the holster or the LBE gear to prevent a dropped pistol from being lost.

1 hour ago, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

Lanyards , AKA DUMMY CORDS 

CB 

When I was first in the Army Reserve, then in my early years in the Guard we had LBE (Load Bearing Equipment) with the ALICE clips before going to the MOLLE stuff. When I was first in a Special Forces unit and then on into my early years in field units and combat arms units in the Guard we dummy corded pretty much everything to our LBE. Ammo pouches, compass and compass pouches, canteen pouches, and usually canteens themselves. Pistols too, but back then I wasn't always issued one.

I recall going to Ft. Dix to complete my 91B training, and we were required to bring out own TA-50 from our home unit. The Sergeant Major of the training brigade wanted all the students to be uniform. Me, along with a number of infantry and cav types were pretty annoyed when we had to strip our dummy cording so we could get rid of one canteen and butt packs, among other things, to be uniform with the others.

On 10/14/2021 at 5:47 PM, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

A lanyard attaching a sidearm to the wearer’s person is a standard for police and military uniforms in many parts of the world. RCMP constables (“Mounties”) wear them with their traditional red serge dress uniform.

Snip-it_1634247919679.jpg.1b0e569510533f5ac007c1efd445fcf8.jpg

Historically, the lanyard was to ensure that troops on horseback would not lose their sidearm while riding. The lanyard is mostly for ceremonial wear now, but it also serves as a safeguard against loss of the sidearm. It’s most common with police forces that don't often draw their sidearms.

Where's Dudley Doright?

Archived