SASS Wire Forum

mil binocs???

Chili Ron

Howdy,

I just heard about a 7x28 binocular issued by the military.

Any one know about this???

Any ideas on if its really much better that the 50 dollar ones at the stores????

Thanks aheadotime pards.

Best

CR

Howdy,

I found em on ebay 7x28 compact binos.

300 bucks.....outch.

I was looking for 9x leupold out of production.

I tried a set once and they were pretty good.

I just wish optics had a rating like horsepower on cars.

Best

CR

You need to post a link.  There are a bazillion binocs on the market.  I have a pair of 10 x 25 Zeiss binocs I take on trips.  That was about $800.00.  Good optics ain't cheap.  Optics do have a rating.  The first number on your example would be 7 power.  The second number is the  lens diameter and would be 28 milimeters in your example.

Howdy,

Ya I guess I should have seen that coming.

Seems like I get binos that have great clarity but weigh too much

so they get left at home.

thats it. they need a clarity rating.  

And a rating for use with eyeglasses andor sunglasses.

Some nice optics are total junk if you are wearing glasses.

They need to start the review with.....NOT for Eyeglasses.

Because I would stop right there.

Best

CR

14 minutes ago, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

Best

CR

Take your glasses off and use the focusing feature as intended. Cover the diopter adjustable lens and the look through the binos and adjust the focus so that a medium distance object is in sharp focus. Now swap the cover to the other eyepiece and WITHOUT adjusting the main focus knob use the diopter adjustment on the lens to bring that eyepiece into sharp focus. Now the binoculars are properly adjusted to YOUR eyes. 

Here is a how to video of how to do it properly.  Note that most binoculars have the diopter adjustment on the right eye piece.

Howdy,

Take off my glasses and get hasseled by the range officer who

insists on eye and ear protection at all times.

Is that what you mean?????

Best

CR

1 hour ago, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

Best

CR

A clarity rating would be sort of like the SASS smoke standard for black powder.  Vague and subjective.  You have the internet so what I do is searches for reviews of particular brands and models of binocs and then look at articles by the photographic or other magazines that deal with optics.  They will give specific data for color rendition, contrast, etc. and in almost all cases whether the eye cups work with glasses.  You just need to do a little research.  There are also reviews on YouTube for "best el cheapo $50.00" binocs or any other search term you want to use.  The best binocs are by Zeiss, Leitz, Swarovski.  Then comes things like Nikon.  Then the off-brand stuff that all comes out of the same factory in China.

I vastly prefer individual focus eyepieces... but for some reason, they're verrry difficult to find nowadays.

That said, my favorite has long been a pair of rugged, individual focus Tasco* binoculars.  Armored, 7x35 wide angle (525 ft/1000 yds, or 10°).  BAK4 prisms, coated optics, nitrogen filled.  Perhaps not of Swarovski clarity, but still very, very clear.  Quite acceptable.  The kicker is, I bought these from Emporium Capwell in San Francisco in 1983 at a closeout sale... for the princely sum of $35.  Adjusted for inflation, just under a hundred of today's dollars.  I actually bought several pair, and gave the others to buddies. 

Sadly, I misplaced them about ten years ago.  Could not find any replacements I liked (no individual eye focus), including three pairs of Nikons I actually did buy.  Happily, when I was working on my truck a few months ago, I found the old Tasco* set behind a seat belt reel!  Nikons back to the gun safe!  ^_^ 

*Tasco never built anything.       

Resized_20211014_153754.jpeg.9aa849e06e6ff81229dc1d3ef91f3c50.jpeg

Howdy

Chief AJ used tasco scopes to test ruger after he tuned one.

Tasco got tired of reparing his scopes.

Tasco just didnt have real good quality control.

Some of their stuff was terrific if everything was right.

He liked 4-16 scopes set at 4.  I never did find out why.

Best

CR

22 hours ago, Chili Ron said:

I was gifted for my birthday last year a pair of binocs.  can't remember the brand.  It is a known brand, but I doubt these cost more then $100.  There are retractable extensions on the eyepieces.  Extend them by rotating them for use without glasses and retract them for use with glasses.  Feature actually works fairly well, at least with my eyes.

These are not zeiss or swarovski, but they work good for what they are.

On 10/14/2021 at 2:09 PM, Chili Ron said:

I just wish optics had a rating like horsepower on cars.

Best

CR

That's usually called the price. You have El Cheapos (they can or at used to be good now and then IF you get lucky) then you have the middle (upper for most of us) like Leupold and such, then the really expensive stuff like Zeiss, Swarovsky, etc which are not an option for most of us). I have found deals a couple times on Nikon and Leupold binocs. For my money the high dollar stuff is not worth the difference. The difference between Leupold, Nikon, etc is. I have a pair of Steiners that are very good as well. Not cheap but not four figures either.

JHC

23 hours ago, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

Is that what you mean?????

Best

CR

Don’t adjust them at the range.adjust before you get to the range. Changes after that should be minimal.

Archived