SASS Wire Forum

Question, can a Ruger SP101 in 32 H&R be customized to shoot .327 Federal.

Now the question isn't about accuracy or anything else. The question is can it be done, and if so who might be doing it.  Ruger won't sell me a .327 cylinder so looking for some other way to do it. 

Thanks for your help;

Marlin

Ruger won't sell you a cylinder, because Ruger does not sell cylinders. But it is possible that if you send your gun back to them they will put a 327 cylinder in it. They will keep your 32 H&R cylinder, but they will swap it out. Maybe. Years ago I had a Security Six. And I read about them making them a 9 mm for the French police, so I wrote them asking if they would sell me a 9 mm cylinder - so I could make my gun a convertible. And they said they would sell me a 9 mm cylinder, but they would have to fit it, and they would keep the 357 cylinder. So I decided not to do it.

Check with them and see if they will do it that way. Cylinder swap.

There are more than several places that sale "kits". 

That is guns that have been destroyed by cutting up the frame. Here is one. 

https://everygunpart.com/handgun-kits/revolver.html

there are several more on Gunbroker that sale guns that have been destroyed. 

Also,  you may find a hit on ebay. 

Howdy,

ebay can be amazing if you dont mind the stink.

Ive had great luck on buying cylinders in particular.

Remember if it wont fit yours just sell it to someone else.

Best

CR

I would definitely contact Ruger. Ask if the frame will handle it and if they can install a cylinder for you. 

I know it isn’t the same but they made me a .45 ACP cylinder for my Vaquero for $150. I thought that was a reasonable price. 

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

A quick read will show that the 357 is a lengthened 38 Special. I don't believe I would like to deepen my 38 Special Chambers and fire 357 in it.

Looks like the SP101 is also chambered in 357 Magnum.  They were made in 32 H&R then dropped and then offered in 327 Federal.  So we're not talking about a marginal strength gun. 

22 hours ago, Alpo said:

A quick read will show that the 357 is a lengthened 38 Special. I don't believe I would like to deepen my 38 Special Chambers and fire 357 in it.

When Ruger brought out the SP-101 it was chambered in .38 special only, an enterprising Gunsmith in NH, started boring the cylinders to accept the .357 Mag 125 grain JHP. Soon after Ruger started offering the SP-101 in .357 mag marked 125 grain only. Then they lengthened the cylinder window and cylinder to accept all .357 mag ammo. Since Ruger uses the same frame in all the SP-101 calibers I would think it would be possible to just have the cylinder re-chambered in the .327 Federal. As always, check with a Gunsmith first.

1 hour ago, Major E A Sterner #12916 said:

When Ruger brought out the SP-101 it was chambered in .38 special only, an enterprising Gunsmith in NH, started boring the cylinders to accept the .357 Mag 125 grain JHP. Soon after Ruger started offering the SP-101 in .357 mag marked 125 grain only. Then the lengthened the cylinder window and cylinder to accept all .357 mag ammo. Since Ruger uses the same frame in all the SP-101 calibers I would think it would be possible to just have the cylinder re-chambered in the .327 Federal. As always, check with a Gunsmith first.

If memory serves, the early factory 327 cylinders stretched enough to crack the brass.  They had to improve the metal used for the high pressure round.  I don't remember if the frame had problems or was changed too.

I have a first generation 327 Federal SP101 3"...the one with the rear sight with windage adjustment. The newer version has fixed sights, and the longer barrel version has fully adjustable sights (owned that one too in 327 Federal). I have also owned the same gun in 357 Magnum and 32 H&R. The 32s are 6 rounds, and the 357 is 5 rounds. The only difference I know of is the resulting shorter length of the throats in 327 Federal. I would expect that to be a straightforward machining job...not that I know anything about that.

On 10/15/2021 at 3:20 PM, sassnetguy50 said:

If memory serves, the early factory 327 cylinders stretched enough to crack the brass.  They had to improve the metal used for the high pressure round.  I don't remember if the frame had problems or was changed too.

Upon more reading, some people claim the issue was how Ruger cut the early 327 chambers and ruger would replace those cylinders free of charge.  

Found this tidbit in Ruger & His Guns (2007 printing) on page 193.  Read the center column.  It predates the 327 Federal by a yearso not directly relative.  It does clarify the early short frame 32.Screenshot_2021-10-16-22-06-21.thumb.png.f9d35e2254d9e5d71639ab77c2c84f90.png

Archived