SASS Wire Forum

Federal 9mm Syntech

Rye Miles #13621

Anyone try these? 150 gr for a 9mm sounds pretty heavy but it says less recoil because of the bullet etc.

IMG_2693.JPG

IMG_2694.JPG

IMG_2695.JPG

14 minutes ago, Alpo said:

A standard load for 9 mm for the past several years has been 147 grains. I don't see where three grains would make a hell of a difference.

I see mostly 115 grains !!

A lot of folks carrying the 9 mm cartridge prefer the heavier bullets because of several factors. One of them is that the recoil impulse is reduced because the heavier bullet is slower, so the gun is more manageable for quick follow up shots, as well as being gentler feeling.  
The second reason is that the heavier bullets are reputed to do better at breaking bones compared to the lighter velocity rounds, whether punching through a rib cage or trying to break the pelvic girdle in stopping an assailant.  

Third for those running pistol caliber carbines or suppressed pistols, these bullets are already subsonic from the factory.  

I found that the Federal HST 147 was very accurate and comfortable to shoot in my G43, so I switched from 115gr loads and never looked back.  In my full size 9mms I carry either the 147 HST, or sometimes a 115gr JHP of good repute!  

There are match grade 147 loads out there, some very similar to the .38 special 148 gr loads!

SC

Steel Challenge does not use knockdown targets. Some clubs do hold outlaw matches of various types that do use knockdowns.  If you reload 9mm ammo to the same power factor using both 115-125 or 145-160 gr bullets most competition shooters prefer the heavier bullets recoil pulse. Shooters who buy loaded ammo use more of the lighter weights because there's more available normally and it's cheaper.

Those of you shooting heavy-grain JHP 9mm loads need to be mindful of the barrel length. If you're shooting them out of a G43 or P365 with a 3" barrel the velocity may drop below the threshold for expansion. I discovered that in my own testing, which is why I only use 115 or 124 in my EDC P365.

13 minutes ago, ShadowCatcher said:

I worried about velocity but these tests help in thinking about it:  

I made this to help visualize this ammo without trying to remember everything he is saying. 

59483BCC-58CF-48D9-B6F2-E03FBC101377.thumb.jpeg.4184eedf6d2ebdd8d54c315b66c06939.jpeg

I shoot the 147's in my 2 gun competitions, they make a difference on the heavy set knockdowns, along with a softer recoil impulse.

I've seen many a shooter hammer away on some of the knockdowns before they fall, as they walk by I ask 115's?  They always say yes.

I also use 147's loaded to 1050 fps for use in my suppressed AR 9mm, almost Hollywood quiet.

Archived