SASS Wire Forum

The Strange Fate of Elmer McCurdy

Snip-it_1634213240804.thumb.jpg.1b16a6087eb8bc65475951d253ca3387.jpg

Elmer McCurdy is not exactly a household name. Unlike Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Jesse and Frank James, or Billy the Kid, his exploits as a train and bank robber never gained him much infamy. Neither did his status as one of the last real Wild West outlaws, killed in a shootout with the law. (He’d never be taken alive, he said.)

No, Elmer McCurdy gained his fame more than 60 years after his death, in 1976, when memories of those wild days on the frontier were dying with the last people who’d lived them.

That’s when the crew of The Six Million Dollar Man borrowed an amusement park fun-house to shoot an episode. As one of the crew members moved a dummy, its arm fell off—revealing that the dummy was actually a mummy. McCurdy, specifically, as an autopsy later revealed.

It seems that after being shot, someone had gone to the funeral home and identified themselves as McCurdys' long-lost brother in order to take the body. In fact, he was a carnival owner. (Carnivals did a brisk trade in outlaw corpses to attract crowds in the early days of the 20th century.) McCurdys' body also spent time as repayment for a bad debt, playing a mummy in a freak show, and collecting dust in a wax museum storage space before he became a fun-house prop.

McCurdy was finally laid to rest on Boot Hill in Guthrie, Oklahoma, 66 years after he was killed. Were it not for a clumsy prop crew member, who knows where he'd be today.

1 hour ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

Were it not for a clumsy prop crew member, who knows where he'd be today.

He could have been President…Oh, wait!

It is possible that my eyes are not in focus yet. It is quite early in the morning. But I believe the picture is not quite in focus. Here's one of the tombstone where I could actually read it.

111.jpg

Archived