SASS Wire Forum

'73 Loading Gate

Buckshot Bear

Got out to the range yesterday and put around 420 rounds through the Uberti '73, not a single hiccup rounds fed as fast I could lever them.

Is there any mod that lightens the loading gate?

This was one 6 shot string over the new chrony (fantastic chrony reads via Bluetooth straight back to my phone!).

The powder charges were metered with a Lee Pro Auto Disk, some variation.

4grns of ADI AP50N .38 case and 125grn pill I will be easily able to drop the powder charge down.

Capture.JPG.f19887f3674b2460cfc558448c38f3fe.JPG

13 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

2 screws and it's off...put the two screws back in and you're done.

I sat here for a full minute trying to figure out where there were two screws in the loading gate.

I went so far as to stand up and head to the gunroom until it dawned on me; the side plate has a screw as well and you were (correctly) counting that one.

If you want to work on your factory loading gate, you can "hourglass" the arm (between the scoop and the mounting base), reducing the width of the arm by about 10% on each try until you get a gate that is easy to operate.   Both ends of metal removal should taper back out to the original width of the arm smoothly.  Leave no deep scratches in the ground or filed areas that could be "stress risers" later.  I've done several successfully on my own guns.

good luck, GJ

I like the '66 style best from Shotgun Boogie. It is very easy and no "lip" so it loads straight in. Best upgrade ever and slick reloads too!

1 hour ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

I sat here for a full minute trying to figure out where there were two screws in the loading gate.

I went so far as to stand up and head to the gunroom until it dawned on me; the side plate has a screw as well and you were (correctly) counting that one.

Between Phantom's post and your reply there has got to be..................there has GOT to be a joke in there about the two of you having screws loose. :lol:

1 hour ago, Preacherman said:

I like the '66 style best from Shotgun Boogie. It is very easy and no "lip" so it loads straight in. Best upgrade ever and slick reloads too!

Lookin' to make it easier for my wife (and me :) ) to load.

59 minutes ago, Shooting Bull said:

Between Phantom's post and your reply there has got to be..................there has GOT to be a joke in there about the two of you having screws loose. :lol:

Actually, my first response was based on me mis-reading the question. Thought he asked if it was easy to install.

So I said "2 screws and it's off...put the two screws back in and you're done."

Then I realized that the question "is that easier to push in?"...not is that easier to put in...ugh...I'm getting old.

Phantom

Along with replacing the loading gate or hour-glass grinding    I take a minute to dull the sharp edges of the side plate as they are generally pretty sharp from the factory.       GW

2 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

If you want to work on your factory loading gate, you can "hourglass" the arm (between the scoop and the mounting base), reducing the width of the arm by about 10% on each try until you get a gate that is easy to operate.   Both ends of metal removal should taper back out to the original width of the arm smoothly.  Leave no deep scratches in the ground or filed areas that could be "stress risers" later.  I've done several successfully on my own guns.

good luck, GJ

This works well (and is what I do) but it helps to have a spare around as to much removal (it seems like only 15%:wacko:) the gate can lose tension to where it will not completely close correctly without a little assistance (you will occasionally see some cowboys whacking on the side of the rifle to get the thing to seat:blink:)

YMMV

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

1 hour ago, Shooting Bull said:

Bull, with the year I have had; I'm considering drinking Loc-Tite just to avoid anything else coming loose.

2 hours ago, G W Wade said:

Along with replacing the loading gate or hour-glass grinding    I take a minute to dull the sharp edges of the side plate as they are generally pretty sharp from the factory.       GW

Do you mean right here?

SNY01728.jpg.d1f3784b0cbb310f0afe015d3ad976b0.jpg

The side plate itself.  The "U" on the plate on mine will cut the sides of my thumb or the nail as I push the cartridge in.    Sorry don't do pictures   Have to wait for G kids to come one day    GW

12 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Is that easier to push in?

Yes, The spring is only half the width. I used it on the wife's rifle. 

Here is another one. I think this is the one I bought.

https://sbgwllc.myshopify.com/products/uberti-1873-loading-gate

To clarify, this is a '66 style gate without the annoying "lip" and it fits a '73. It provides an easier and superior loading experience. The '73 is to be an improved model, but the loading gate feature in my opinion definitely is not.image.thumb.png.efe11ccbf80355e9a05f69a838ce514e.png

8 minutes ago, Preacherman said:

To clarify, this is a '66 style gate without the annoying "lip" and it fits a '73. It provides an easier and superior loading experience. The '73 is to be an improved model, but the loading gate feature in my opinion definitely is not.image.thumb.png.efe11ccbf80355e9a05f69a838ce514e.png

My wife shoots a 66 in 38 for CAS. When I got her a 73 in 44-40 for WB she complained about how difficult it was to load. Got one of these and put in on, she is happy now. I liked so much I put one in my 73 also. Only issue I had was needing to bend it a little to increase the tension so it would close under tension of 10 in the mag. Great product.

Archived