SASS Wire Forum

American Pioneer Powder

Lead Poison Lar

2 hours ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

The manufacturer of APP advises this practice may result in increased pressures and erratic velocities.  I load APP to the base of the bullet and get ample smoke.

I stand corrected. That is what I meant by "almost fill the brass" but I was not accurate.

Chancy

4 hours ago, Chancy Shot, SASS #67163 said:

I stand corrected. That is what I meant by "almost fill the brass" but I was not accurate.

Chancy

I like to shoot  Warthog loads .

Full load BP with min 200 gr bullet .

Big bang lots of smoke and a big clanging on the target 

No questions if you hit it or not :D

45 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Not to hijack the thread, but this is related to APP.  I'll be shooting my first match with my 1851's at the Regional. They're in 44.  I'm bringing a pound of 3F APP.  What kind of measure should I buy to load for 44?  How many grains/cc?

You want enough powder in the cylinder so that when seated the ball is at least touching the powder. How much this is depends on the pistol. Uberti and Pietta have different length cylinders and slightly different chamber volumes. So what works for one will not work for the other.

My experience is it will be between 1.2 and 1.5 cc

What I do is seat a ball in an empty cylinder as far as the rammer will push it. Then remove the cylinder from the pistol and remove the nipple. Slowly trickle fine walnut media, grits or any other fine grain material into the cylinder until it is full. You may have to tap the cylinder a couple times to ensure all the voids get filled.  Empty the cylinder into the pan for your powder scale and weigh it. Now you will need find a spout for your powder flask or a lee dipper that dispenses about the same weight of material. This is your minimum charge. If you use an 1/8" thick felt wad between the powder and ball you can reduce the charge by 0.2 cc but I would not go below 1 cc of powder as you want the balls to ring the target nicely. If you want you can shorten powder flask spouts to give you any desired charge. Just go slow and test often.

If you don't have any lee dippers You can make one from a cartridge case. A 38 special works well. Cut it down to the length you need to get the proper powder charge. Make a handle from 16 ga. solid copper wire. I wrap it around the case at the extractor groove and then twist the wire to make a handle. Secure it in place with a little solder. 

I use this powder flask. I find this type of valve easier to use.

Cylindrical Brass Powder Flask, 5" length, 1-1/4" diameter, accepts 10-1mm threaded spouts.

You can get an assortment of spouts from TotW. 

For me this flask holds enough powder for 4 to 5 stages.  

You can always use more than the minimum charge of APP. Just don't ram the ball and heavily compress the powder. Use just enough force to ensure the ball is touching the powder.

Just like cartridge guns you need some felt recoil. For my ROAs and my Long Hunter 1860s I use a 20 grain spout and a lightly lubed 1/8 felt wad. If i skip the wad I use a 25 grain spout.

On 10/14/2021 at 12:25 PM, Bailey Creek,5759 said:

To me a CC is something a Doctor puts in a needle .

I don't understand it. Grains i know CC not so much .

I just fill the case to about an eighth inch from the top and stuff a bullet in there.

Archived