SASS Wire Forum

Small pistol primers: need price-discovery information

Fort Reno Kid

Howdy Pards

I’m in contact with a shootin’ buddy who has a small stash of small pistol primers. Due to age and med issues, he’s pretty much out of the reloading activity and is willing to sell. Think they’re of Wolf and Winchester manufacture.

We’re buddies. I don’t want to be unfair to him nor him to me. We’re looking for a price that will be fair to both of us.

I haven’t seen any offered, even at gun shows, in over a yr or so.

Would appreciate pricing input from those who have recently bot or sold small pistol primers or have knowledge of such transactions.  

Many thanks and Adios

Fort Reno Kid 

Well, here’s the thing. The world has gone bat shit crazy!!! I’ve seen primers from some of the big outlets going at 80 per 1000. And I’m guessing he bought them before the crazy at around 30-40 per 1000. So, the question is does your pard want to break even, or make some money on the deal. For what it’s worth I’ve helped out a few pards and sold them some Federal SPP for what I paid pre crazy prices. And just traded a good buddy 1k Federal for a bag of 7.5 shot. And I had a good pard gift me 500 209 primers cuz he knew I was in a jam. So, I guess it all breaks down to bottom line and conscience. I try to do right by my pards and cowboy family. Making a little on the deal seems ok given the times, but I’d hope neither of ya put each other over a barrel. Oh, and them Wolf primers, well they’re tougher than woodpecker lips, yer likely gonna need full strength hammer springs to crack em.

If it were me I'd offer $50/1K. That gives him a little profit, and you a big discount.  If I were guessing I'd say when primers become available again they'll land somewhere between $50-$70 / 1K

11 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

If it were me I'd offer $50/1K. That gives him a little profit, and you a big discount.  If I were guessing I'd say when primers become available again they'll land somewhere between $50-$70 / 1K

+10000 to Tyrel. 

I bet if you double his price tags you’ll both feel good about the deal.

(if he bought more than a couple years ago)

I just now read Tyrels post.  Yes, I gotta agree.

For me current prices. Last week from Ballistic products $221.95 delivered for 5000 Cheddite 209 shotgun primers. Last month $177.20 delivered for 2000 SPP from Brownells. If cowboys need some, I have been giving them 1 or 2000. No cost, I just want primers back when they find some. 

1 hour ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Based on what our distributor has now for our cost (though nothing available) the new “basic good deal” will be around $75. The Winchester primers are the more valuable - $45-50/1,000 is totally fair. I wouldn’t buy the Wolf until I knew that my guns would run them. 

Hugs!

Scarlett

I purchased SP Fed Mag Match priimers for as low as $45 per thousand and as high as $78 per thousand last summer so any where in that range would be fair. I also have used Wolf primers and their regular pistol primers are fine for tuned revolvers. It depends on which ones they are.

kR

Howdy Pards

Many thanks for the posts. Gave me plenty of insight.

Talked with shootin’ buddy and we settled on 7 and 1/2 cents per primer ($75 for the mixed brick, half Winchester and half Wolf). He paid lots less for them but that was many yrs back … and before the current administration. Hmmm ….if’n I’d thot about buying ‘em during the Trump era, price would prob be more like 4 or 5 cents per primer.

Anyway, it’s done. He’s glad to get yankee $ for primers for which he has no further use and I’m glad to be back in the reloading action. Have a mess of 9mm and 9 Makarov brass that is long overdue for reloading. Glad now that I’ve got the components to do it.

All’s well that ends well.

Adios 

Fort Reno Kid

Archived