SASS Wire Forum

What did it cost?

WOLFY

My previous thread asking what were our first cowboy guns got a ton of responses.

Here’s another trip down memory lane.  What did your first SASS firearm cost?

Mine was a Big 5 special Winchester .44magnum for @ $150 out the door (down from $169 MSRP) in the late 80s.

1996 $350 for a brand new Ruger Blackhawk. $400 for a new Winchester Trapper and $250 for a new Stoeger shotgun!

My first SASS shooter was a gift when I graduated from high school in 1960 (long before there was a SASS but fast draw was gaining a lot of shooters), a 1959 vintage .45 Colt SAA with a 5 1/2" barrel, blue and CCH and with black plastic grips.  It stayed with me though college, Vietnam, and up until 1996 when It finally got rebuilt (for the third time) and retired. 

My dad took my old Colt .45 that I bought when I was 14 and gave me this new gun.  It came with a holster and cartridge belt and 2 boxes of ammo for the princely sum of about $151.00 including 3% Utah sales tax.  The gun cost around $127.75 with the tax.

Lessee... 1974, I think it was - bought my first 7 1/2" bbl Ruger Blackhawk.

I'd just visited my ol' pard Hank, in the hospital recovering from a .45 Colt ball through the shin, a result of dropping said Colt.  I was so impressed I went right out and bought a .45 of my own. 

But not bein' one of those guys who has to pee on the 'lectric fence myownself, I bought a Ruger.  :rolleyes:

Edit:  Oh... I think it was about $120.  Bought it from Stan's Sporting Goods in Serramonte Shopping Center in Daly City... ^_^

Sedalia Dave,

I remember Vaqueros retailing for under $500.  Even that was too much for me (found a used pair for about $750).

Ruger Bisley Blackhawk, 45 LC $403.89 in September 1999.

Winchester 94, 45 LC $392.05 in September 1999

Winchester 97, 12 ga $764.87 in December 1999 (Note that Win 97's were hard to find at that time and this one was/is in like new condition)

Ruger Vaquero, 45 LC $396.10 in October 2000 

My first SASS gun was actually 2 at the same time. I went to a gun show and a vendor had a “Cowboy Action Shooting Special”. A Ruger Vaquero and a Winchester 94 “Trails End” in matching caliber for either $725 or $750. I can’t remember exactly how much. He was only selling them in sets. This was 1997. I remember him telling me “The Winchester is the most used cowboy rifle in SASS!” I guess he forgot to say WHICH Winchester. :lol:

I still have that Winchester. I will never part with it. My son-in-law has the Ruger along with it’s mate that I had to buy later that year as SASS went to 2 pistols. That was a bummer as it took me a while to get my second pistol. 

41 minutes ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

Ruger Bisley Blackhawk, 45 LC $403.89 in September 1999.

Winchester 94, 45 LC $392.05 in September 1999

Winchester 97, 12 ga $764.87 in December 1999 (Note that Win 97's were hard to find at that time and this one was/is in like new condition)

Ruger Vaquero, 45 LC $396.10 in October 2000 

My first pump gun was the Norinco (early 2000s).  Original 97s were hard to find.

2 hours ago, WOLFY said:

Sedalia Dave,

I remember Vaqueros retailing for under $500.  Even that was too much for me (found a used pair for about $750).

Bought the pair used off of Gun Broker in the fall of 2013

$79.95 for a Replica Arms (Uberti) 1860 Army .44.  AND....I still have and still shoot the Replica Arms 1860 Army. 

I still have the 1968 Dixie catalog, that I used to order it. 

Get this....are you sitting down???  Dixie sold Colt single actions, back then, from their catalog. 

They offered them in: .357 magnum, .44 special, and .45 Colt, in both blue and nickel. 

Ready??? 

Colt, in .45 caliber...Blue, 4 3/4 inch barrel = $160.00....With a 5 1/2 barrel = $160.00....with a 7 1/2 inch barrel = $160.00

Colt in .45 caliber...Nickel, 4 3/4 inch barrel = $184.00...with a 5 1/2 inch barrel = $184.00...with a 7 1/2 inch barrel = $184.00. 

Colt Buntline...Blue....45 caliber = $184.00.

Colt Flat Top...Blue.....357 magnum = $190.00......44 Special = $190.00....45 Colt = $190.00. 

Nowadays, used 2nd generation Colt's can easily go for $2,500 and up. :angry: 

When we shot in the cow pasture, this was long before SASS was a gleam in anyone's eye. A few of us would dress up in our cowboy clothes, arm ourselves with our cowboy "weepons", and head out to the cow pasture, to shoot cans, targets, boxes, rats, or whatever presented itself.

The only "rules" we had were: don't shoot yourself, or anyone else. 

One Saturday, we purchased a case of 5000 rounds of .22's, and between all of us, we shot up the whole case before we went home late that afternoon.

No cow-patty was safe!!!

W.K. 

Don't remember the breakdown price of each but when I started CAS

2 x Marlin Cowboy Competition in 38 special

2 x Ruger Vaquero - 357 stainless

2 x Norinco '97 - 12 gauge

1 x Kirkpatrick "Tequila" rig with matching shotgun belt

about 600 rounds ammo

about 400 shotgun shells (mix of estate target and AA feather lites)

Owner wanted $2400 cash instead took in trade for the above

1 x Ed Brown 1911 custom in 45 ACP that I had used in IPSC

1 x Bianchi holster and belt

Guy was getting out of cowboy, I was getting in and he didn't want to wait 12 - 14 months plus to get the Ed Brown.

Everybody walked away happy

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

sounds like both of you got great deals, Gateway.

i’m figuring that costs are relative.   i used to make a lot less… saving up for anything neat took an eternity.

Whatever a .45 Blackhawk cost in 1979... $200 or so...? I wasn't shooting CAS yet, but it was one of my two first CAS revolvers, along with a Colt .357 I think I paid $275 for, used. Then whatever a new stainless .45 Rossi '92 cost in 1992 when I started - $350 or so. The shotgun was an inherited Rossi Overland 12g hammer coach gun.

Mine was a Vaquero Bisley in 357, bought in 1999 as a prop when playing piano in the Stinking Tent Saloon at Sacramento Gold Rush days.
Many years later, I got interested in SASS, and dug it out of the safe... lo and behold... a Bisley.. well, how about that?
I added its twin brother, etc, etc, etc, etc in 2019.

I had all the guns for CAS except for a shotgun, I traded a Rem 1100 set up for pin shooting for a 20 gauge Stoeger coach gun and I got $350.00 cash on top of it.That was in 1997.

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

How much of what kind of booze was in that cask to make it worth $350? :P

Auto correct strikes again,I fixed it.

Early 2000s, traded a pard a used repro Smith carbine for a pair of 58 Remingtons with .45 Colt R&D cylinders.  Paid just about $400 each for a 92 Rossi in .45 Colt and a 12 gauge TTN SXS Mule Ear shotgun.  Later bought the Smith back from him for $350.  

Seamus

January 2021, found a new Uberti 1875 Rem Outlaw at LGS with a $969 price tag. Traded straight across for a 90’s Century G-93 w/ correct bipod, sling and 5 mags. I was into the Century for a grand total of $350 and had been at the back of the safe for years. Figure I did okay 

Archived