SASS Wire Forum

New Shot shell Taper Crimp Die-works great

Cole Younger Requlator

On 11/3/2021 at 3:50 PM, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

I have been thinking along the lines of Cheyenne Ranger.  I have not found a suitable press yet but did find an ancient SCHIESSEL 12 gauge shell holder on EBay.  Sooner or later it will all come together.

DSC_0003.jpeg

That was a very sweet find!  Does that thing have a part number on it?

I started searching for parts for a build similar to Cheyenne Ranger as well and keep running into a brick wall on the shell holder.  There are a couple of folks out there who make (or at least made) them, but no one has anything is stock.  Might have to drag out the dremel tool and make something.  B)

die-metal-grinder-tool-sparks-590jn050410.jpg.1a901174689e5dd9d637f0696bda1724.jpg

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L said:

That was a very sweet find!  Does that thing have a part number on it?

No SCHIESSEL has been out of business for 60 years or so.  I just happened to see it on EBay and bought it hoping I could use it.  I measured several old presses I have in the garage and nothing was suitable.  Finally bit the bullet and picked up an old Mec Case Conditioner off EBay.  The original set-up used a ring sizer and required a knockout plug to get the hull out of the die.  I eliminated this part of the linkage and machined down the very top part of the old setup.  It had a 1/4" hole in it and already had the step machined in it that fits in the press head.  The shell holder by luck fit the existing hole in the press.  The nut just fit between the sides of the press bottom.  Since I could not use a wrench to tighten it I made a spacer and sized it so the shell holder was in the correct position when I screwed in down from the top.  I made a little gauge to set the proper clearance for the new taper die.  I decided to go ahead and spend the money on a separate press as I figured I could also use the die for shells that go into a semi-auto trap gun I shoot.  It is a purpose built unsingle semi-auto that loads from the top and ejects out the bottom.  It is a Butler.  I have attached a photo as they are scarce and not many people have seen one.

DSC_0005 (1).jpeg

DSC_0018.jpeg

DSC_0012.jpeg

DSC_0022.jpeg

Screen Shot 2021-11-15 at 8.04.56 PM.png

6 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

No SCHIESSEL has been out of business for 60 years or so.  I just happened to see it on EBay and bought it hoping I could use it.  I measured several old presses I have in the garage and nothing was suitable.  Finally bit the bullet and picked up an old Mec Case Conditioner off EBay.  The original set-up used a ring sizer and required a knockout plug to get the hull out of the die.  I eliminated this part of the linkage and machined down the very top part of the old setup.  It had a 1/4" hole in it and already had the step machined in it that fits in the press head.  The shell holder by luck fit the existing hole in the press.  The nut just fit between the sides of the press bottom.  Since I could not use a wrench to tighten it I made a spacer and sized it so the shell holder was in the correct position when I screwed in down from the top.  I made a little gauge to set the proper clearance for the new taper die.  I decided to go ahead and spend the money on a separate press as I figured I could also use the die for shells that go into a semi-auto trap gun I shoot.  It is a purpose built unsingle semi-auto that loads from the top and ejects out the bottom.  It is a Butler.  I have attached a photo as they are scarce and not many people have seen one.

DSC_0005 (1).jpeg

DSC_0018.jpeg

DSC_0012.jpeg

DSC_0022.jpeg

Screen Shot 2021-11-15 at 8.04.56 PM.png

Thank you for the details, and the picture of the unique shotgun.  It is amazing what is out there the only a few folks have ever seen.

You did pretty much what I was planning to do as well, but finding the shell holder has been a bit of an issue.  I would have bit the bullet (so to speak) and bought one of the RCBS ones, but no one has any in stock.  I was tempted to buy one of the old CH adapters that converted a through hole screw mount to a modern clip in mount so I didn't have to machine off the base of the RCBS part and countersink the hole like Cheyenne Ranger did, but by the time I bought that, the RCBS part, the Quickloader die, I would have been into it for about $140.00 and I still wouldn't have had the press!  Used to be able to pick those up for around $20.00, but with all the recent publicity they are going for around $90.00 to $100.00 when you include shipping!

Add it all up and it's like $230.00 to do this and improve my times to the point that maybe I would move from the top of the bottom third to the bottom of the middle third.  :P:lol:

Doesn't mean that will stop me though!  I have an older MEC Sizemaster in 20ga that doesn't get used much so I may just buy a new shell plate and convert that to a dedicated taper crimp press, at least until I start messing with the 20ga again.

As a fall back plan, I also talked to my son about doing a 3D printed version of a custom shell holder.  I can do the CAD drawings and he can do the printing.  Yes, it would be plastic, but I can make it thicker and wider to handle the loads and I can also have it made to include a built in stop so I don't crimp it too deep.  Even if it only lasts 1000 rounds, I can just print another.

Not sure what direction I will end up going, but that was definitely a sweet find on eBay!

Larsen...

Nice adaptation to the MEC Case Conditioner!!!!

Be good...

RR

34 minutes ago, Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L said:

Doesn't mean that will stop me though!  I have an older MEC Sizemaster in 20ga that doesn't get used much so I may just buy a new shell plate and convert that to a dedicated taper crimp press, at least until I start messing with the 20ga again.

If I did not find the shell holder I did my fall back plan was to buy the Mec holder.  The plate has three holders.  I was going to cut one off and screw it to the top of the press base.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284287857953?hash=item4230e07521:g:Vk8AAOSwFw5gluiQ

12 hours ago, Yusta B. said:

My RCBS Cowboy Crimper mounted on a Lee turret.

RCBS crimper.jpg

I looked at doing that as well as I have an old single position press sitting idle in a drawer, but its that pesky 12ga shell plate on the base that I can't seem to find anywhere.

17 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

If I did not find the shell holder I did my fall back plan was to buy the Mec holder.  The plate has three holders.  I was going to cut one off and screw it to the top of the press base.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284287857953?hash=item4230e07521:g:Vk8AAOSwFw5gluiQ

That, and the new QuickLoad die, on my MEC 20ga would do the job, but I am one of those folks who like single purpose tooling.  Otherwise, I am forever looking for the missing parts to turn what I presently have into what I use to have!

At one point in my life, I was completely organized, knew where everything was, and lived by the rule of "A place for everything and everything in its place."  Life was Grand!  Then I got married, had kids, and the spiral into the abyss of disorganization began.  At this point all I can say with certainty is that I know at one point in my life I had one (of whatever thing I am looking for).  I just don't know what box that thing might be in, what room the box that might hold the thing I am looking for is in, what building the room that might hold the box that might hold the thing I know I had is in, or what state the building that contains the room that might hold the box that might hold the thing I know I had is in.  I spend more time looking for stuff than actually using it!  :o  :lol:

af0bbd9d07d28bdded594af8013fc02d.jpg

Note:  The above is not a picture of my work bench.  I can't stand back that far from my work bench due to the clutter to be able to take a picture like that!  :P

On 11/17/2021 at 4:58 PM, Ranger Dan said:

Thanks, I measured and thought the die could be a little lower. So you used the plastic spacer and 2 washers ?

Yep.

see a lot a great ways to make this work

As far as getting me closer to the keys for the Cadillac -- for me, not going to happen BUT . . . 

the ease of getting the shells in the scatter gun is worth it.  Old age, having to  use my off-hand (I'm right handed) to load the shotgun and arthritis in both paws makes this a welcome addition to my reloading empire.

anything that ups the Fun Factor is worth the price

+ I have a new toy to play with 

This QuikLoader taper crimp die works Great!!!

Wish I'd had one years ago!!!!!!

No more "hammerhead" on my reloads.....  YEA!!!!!

I simply replaced the finish die on the 6th stage on my MEC Grabber with it.

It was really simple and it's permanent.......

You do have to pay attention to the .825 clearance between the base of the die and the base of the shell.

Once that's set just load as normal and "Perfect" shells come out :D

I'm a Happy Camper!!!

IMG_0320.thumb.jpg.6a35d704f879884ccaa87a03a3c1554c.jpg

On 11/8/2021 at 9:47 AM, Roger Rapid said:

Classic Old West Arms is also selling the QuikLoader...

RR

Yo Roger sent you a PM.

Jackrabbit Joe

I am using it just like Silver Sam on a MEC Grabber. Replaced the sixth die which is the finishing die.  Seems to work great.  Would be open to any discussion why this may be a bad idea.

9 hours ago, Jackrabbit Joe #414 said:

Quik Loader loaded on my MEC 9000 works fantastic.

JRJ

Which die did you replace and did you do it permanently or temporarily after the shells are loaded?

6 minutes ago, JohnWesleyHardin said:

Which die did you replace and did you do it permanently or temporarily after the shells are loaded?

Permanent. If I want to do others that had been done prior, I just remove all shells & use Quik Loader one only one at a time

Quit Loader on MEC 9000.JPG

16 minutes ago, Jackrabbit Joe #414 said:

Permanent. If I want to do others that had been done prior, I just remove all shells & use Quik Loader one only one at a time

Quit Loader on MEC 9000.JPG

That's how I am using mine with no issues.  Only concern is that it doesn't go as far down on the shell as original final die.

2 minutes ago, JohnWesleyHardin said:

That's how I am using mine with no issues.  Only concern is that it doesn't go as far down on the shell as original final die.

Yo John How many washers do you use? I use two myself.

I needed to use washers instead of the black spacer to make sure of the .825 clearance at the bottom of the pull.  The original die pretty much went clear down close to the brass.  It doesn't seem to matter however.

another match under my ample belt using shotgun shells that were run through the QuikLoader

We had 64 shooters and I was in the Top 100 

that being said, there is really a difference for me in loading my SxS using them.  Didn't fumble the shells at all.

Glad this piece of equipment was developed.

Archived