SASS Wire Forum

New Shot shell Taper Crimp Die-works great

Cole Younger Requlator

On 10/13/2021 at 4:43 PM, Roger Rapid said:

Marshal Fire...

Re: vendor? ... at the moment, they can be purchased from UniqueTek, Coyote's  Mercantile, or directly from me by clicking on this link.

(Regarding price, please check with the various resources above so I don't make this sound like a commercial post.)

Yes, they absolutely can be used on factory (non-"reloaded") ammo. 

RR

Ordered one. 

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/13/2021 at 11:21 PM, J-BAR #18287 said:

Not to be obnoxious, but PWB has yet to post.

Kinda hoping you are right, though.

There is a pinned post from @PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L at the top

of the topic list about this very item. It is legal. 

Hugs!

Scarlett

On 10/14/2021 at 8:28 AM, Fireball #7709 Life said:

It's probably good that someone is filling this gap in the MEC process, but the ability to do this has been around for 40 years or more.   Just one of the machines that produces this AS PART OF ITS NORMAL PROCESS, is the Hornady 366 progressive, I believe there are others that will produce similar results as delivered, but this is what I've used for the last 30 years.  The first 2 pics are some of my crappy reloads  for practice.(they look even better on once or twice fired hulls for matchs)  It's entertaining to see the comments that pop up when someone rediscovers what's possible, or what was/is available from the factory.   You'll notice the factory AA load in the 2nd 2 pics is identical for all practical purposes.  It's a shame AA's quality has slipped so much, but STS's are still being made nicely.(insert much hand wringing about cost/availability)  For all the hand wringing rules people, who, what and how would you measure any of it?  Set actual dimensional go/no go?  Check using calibrated calipers, or micrometers?  Compressed plastic or touching lightly?  Its a ridiculous notion.  I've never seen a match director/RO bother to look at someones ammo(most/all of what we're discussing is hidden in the shotshell belt).  What's next, ammo checks at major matches?!   Ammo checks at the line?  Seems like everyone is walking around with an orange sizer on the posse, just before they shoot these days, wish I'd a dreamt that one up.  I'd be more concerned about what some people put IN the shells, than how they look.  Back in the day of crappy knockdowns, a lot of us were experimenting with double loads of shot ahead of guessed at powder charges with cut down wads.:o  There is only so much deformation of the plastic hull that the basic shape will retain, this new gizmo doesn't appear to do as much as is possible with other readily available methods, but if you have a MEC, and want to fool with it, it appears to make better looking and likely functioning ammo.  Clearly it's not something that could be regulated. 

20211014_074620_resized.jpg

20211014_074623_resized.jpg

20211014_074636_resized.jpg

20211014_074638_resized.jpg

I remember getting some of your fine "dummy" shotgun practice rounds approximately 15 years ago. Not sure they had that taper but I sure liked them. Two versions as I remember, with and without shot. Kind of sorry I did not get into shotgun reloading so I could make my own dummy rounds as well as reloads.

Another advantage is the shells pull free from my leather shotgun shell slide.  Both the double and single looped styles.

They aren't going to fall out but the taper helps here, pulling the shells out, too.

In Other News:  MEC CASE CONDITIONER:  I was the one who tried that and the problem is there is no shell holder at the bottom of the machine.  The shell just sits on a flat  surface--this is OK as the machine has a feature that pops the shell part way out of the die when you raise the arm.  That feature is not available when the QL in place.

considered buying a replacement part from MEC to modify but they, MEC, are very proud of their parts--around $20!

On 10/13/2021 at 3:01 PM, Ranger Dan said:

will this work on a mec 9000 ???

When I first saw this, I was really interested, because it appeared it was one of the stops on the 9000. Upon reading the writeup a couple more times, it registered with me that after your shells are loaded, you replace your normal crimp die with this one & run all of your completed shells thru again. I don't really want to do that. Maybe having another simple press that I leave set up with this die is the way to go.

48 minutes ago, Max Payne said:

When I first saw this, I was really interested, because it appeared it was one of the stops on the 9000. Upon reading the writeup a couple more times, it registered with me that after your shells are loaded, you replace your normal crimp die with this one & run all of your completed shells thru again. I don't really want to do that. Maybe having another simple press that I leave set up with this die is the way to go.

I just bought one for my Mec 650 progressive and yes, the procedure is as you describe. I found that removing and replacing the pre-crimp die is no big deal. There's just one nut to remove and if you don't touch the adjustment nut underneath the plate, reassembly is easy. The trick is to load several boxes of shells first and then run them thru the taper die so you're not swapping dies very often. The die performs as advertised and I like it a lot.

4 hours ago, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

I remember getting some of your fine "dummy" shotgun practice rounds approximately 15 years ago. Not sure they had that taper but I sure liked them. Two versions as I remember, with and without shot. Kind of sorry I did not get into shotgun reloading so I could make my own dummy rounds as well as reloads.

Thanks Billy.  Those were made to the same specs as my regular match loads and on the same type of machine, a Hornady 366.  I use the same to this day. 

7 hours ago, Scarlett said:

There is a pinned post from @PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L at the top

of the topic list about this very item. It is legal. 

Hugs!

Scarlett

Scarlett, I am hurt, feeling picked on,  even though you probably didn’t intend that.

I posted my cautionary comment on the 13th, two days before PWB and the Rules Committee declared the tool legal in his post on the 15th. I still think it was prudent to wait for an official response.

I appreciate the hugs.  :)

2 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Scarlett, I am hurt, feeling picked on,  even though you probably didn’t intend that.

I posted my cautionary comment on the 13th, two days before PWB and the Rules Committee declared the tool legal in his post on the 15th. I still think it was prudent to wait for an official response.

I appreciate the hugs.  :)

OH MY GOODNESS!! I most certainly did NOT mean to hurt your feelings or pick on you!! I did not realize the date and thought I was contributing to the conversation! Obviously, I did not. 

Please accept my sincere apologies! I have been told that I use “way too many words” and was, honestly, trying to be brief! 

Super big genuine apologetic hugs!!:wub:

Scarlett 

20 hours ago, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

Billy, I have some of the first he ever marketed. They were called cowboy repetition rounds!

8 hours ago, doc roy l. pain said:

Billy, I have some of the first he ever marketed. They were called cowboy repetition rounds!

yep. believe you be right.  thinking about 2003-4

How about an ancient MEC 600 Jr?

I would also like to know if... this will shave 10-seconds off my times? Will it make my hairline less receded? Will it make me look like Tom Selleck or Clint Walker?

9 hours ago, Cholla said:

How about an ancient MEC 600 Jr?

I would also like to know if... this will shave 10-seconds off my times? Will it make my hairline less receded? Will it make me look like Tom Selleck or Clint Walker?

I'm thinking more Clint Eastwood.

A Pard bought one and put it on his Hornaday 366 progressive. Removed final crimp stage, slightly modified the quick loader die, installed it. Works great and don’t have to run thru press a 2nd time, just leave the QL die in. I bought one for my 366, haven’t put it on yet but will soon. 

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

A Pard bought one and put it on his Hornaday 366 progressive. Removed final crimp stage, slightly modified the quick loader die, installed it. Works great and don’t have to run thru press a 2nd time, just leave the QL die in. I bought one for my 366, haven’t put it on yet but will soon. 

I have one coming this week. Plan to attempt the same on a MEC 9000. Can you elaborate on "slightly modified the quick loader die"

I ordered one and it should be here in time for this week-end's match. No, I'm not thinking that it will make my shotgun loading fast and smooth, but I'm looking to make sure they fit.

I installed mine on an old. no longer used, MEC case conditioner.  

did have to modify a RCBS shotgun shell holder for the base of the conditioner.  countersunk the primer hole from the top so a flat top bolt would fit flush and ground off the flange on the bottom so it would fit in the hole in the at the bottom of the conditioner.  held in place with a Phillips flathead countersunk bolt and lock nut

only used 8 washers rather than the spacer that comes with the QL.  

taking it to the match this Sat to let the troops try it out.  

didn't have handle on it when photo was taken▼

p1010006.jpg

Switching out the die on my Sizemaster is no problem but I did a couple of minor mods to make life easier.  First on the pre-crimp I turned the lower lock nut all the way down the shaft and tightened it.  Then used washers from the kit to set the pre-crimp and put a wing nut on top.  The shaft spins so the lower locknut gives you something to hold if the shaft starts turning.  Next I pressed a plastic wing nut on the die bolt and ground the tips off to clear the weld on the press.  I also put an o-ring on the bolt shaft to keep things from vibrating loose.  This will hold me until I figure out a permanent mount for the die.

DSC_0001.jpeg

DSC_0005.jpeg

DSC_0013.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Switching out the die on my Sizemaster is no problem but I did a couple of minor mods to make life easier.  First on the pre-crimp I turned the lower lock nut all the way down the shaft and tightened it.  Then used washers from the kit to set the pre-crimp and put a wing nut on top.  The shaft spins so the lower locknut gives you something to hold if the shaft starts turning.  Next I pressed a plastic wing nut on the die bolt and ground the tips off to clear the weld on the press.  I also put an o-ring on the bolt shaft to keep things from vibrating loose.  This will hold me until I figure out a permanent mount for the die.

DSC_0001.jpeg

DSC_0005.jpeg

DSC_0013.jpeg

Very nice, thank you the details.  I have a MEC Sizemaster also and your setup solves the problem getting the precrimp die easily set back up.  Thank for sharing Pard!  Well done.

I have been thinking along the lines of Cheyenne Ranger.  I have not found a suitable press yet but did find an ancient SCHIESSEL 12 gauge shell holder on EBay.  Sooner or later it will all come together.

DSC_0003.jpeg

On 11/3/2021 at 2:50 PM, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

I have been thinking along the lines of Cheyenne Ranger.  I have not found a suitable press yet but did find an ancient SCHIESSEL 12 gauge shell holder on EBay.  Sooner or later it will all come together.

DSC_0003.jpeg

that's a great start!  If mine hadn't been sitting around for 5 years I'm not sure I would have ground on it to make it fit

keep us posted

mine is going out to mowing day tomorrow as well as match Sat.  I'll be intereted in input of shooters that use it

cr

Mine arrived today. I had about 50 ( out of 500) shells that would not fit in the shotgun. Ran them through and they all fit. Hard to tell just by looking at them that they are "tapered." That's fine. How I have 2 extra boxes and no waste. Plan is to reload during Winter, then use this as a final sizing die the night before the match. 

Classic Old West Arms is also selling the QuikLoader...

RR

Got my Quick Loader die friday. Installed on my MEC 9000 last night, replacing the last crimp die. Ran a few already loaded shells through the last 2 crimp dies and they tapered nicely. Waiting on powder bushings, once I get them will load a couple boxes to test fire this coming weekend. So far works as advertised. All the shells loaded previous to the QL die did not pass chamber check, after QL die, they all passed. Loading Win AA hulls.

On 10/29/2021 at 11:33 AM, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

You wrote a fine article on it as well, thank you! (that was a while ago.LOL)

facebook_1636474106612_6863869891262751660.jpg

1 hour ago, Fireball #7709 Life said:

You wrote a fine article on it as well, thank you! (that was a while ago.LOL)

facebook_1636474106612_6863869891262751660.jpg

Wow, the 97 in the picture really dates my shooting on back a bunch of years..  Probably have not owed one in over 15 years.

I switched to a Ponsness Warren 375 awhile back.  It has a taper crimp die that produces shells that drop right in a chamber check, and holds Win AA to spec long after they've been loaded.  Retired my Mec's for cowboy loads.

20201107_081817.jpg

On 11/9/2021 at 9:44 AM, Ranger Dan said:

Got my Quick Loader die friday. Installed on my MEC 9000 last night, replacing the last crimp die. Ran a few already loaded shells through the last 2 crimp dies and they tapered nicely. Waiting on powder bushings, once I get them will load a couple boxes to test fire this coming weekend. So far works as advertised. All the shells loaded previous to the QL die did not pass chamber check, after QL die, they all passed. Loading Win AA hulls.

Continued: Shot a box through my Bakail and wife's Yildiz Saturday. Not one hull stuck, they load easy and eject easy. Very happy with this product.

Got mine today. Installed as last crimp station on my MEC 9000. I like the fact that it also resizes the body of the hull again, even though station 3 does this. I ran about 50 & chamber-checked all with my EGW 6 hole chamber checker. Perfect. I also had some reloaded AA red shotshells from the practice box that didn't pass chamber-check. Ran them through & then they passed the chamber check.

I plan to use some on the warmup stage Saturday, & assuming good results, I'll use them in the match.

I like the idea of the taper assisting faster loads. But, I'm hoping that the hull body reshaping will cut down on throwaway hulls some also.

Just now, Max Payne said:

Got mine today. Installed as last crimp station on my MEC 9000. I like the fact that it also resizes the body of the hull again, even though station 3 does this. I ran about 50 & chamber-checked all with my EGW 6 hole chamber checker. Perfect. I also had some reloaded AA red shotshells from the practice box that didn't pass chamber-check. Ran them through & then they passed the chamber check.

I plan to use some on the warmup stage Saturday, & assuming good results, I'll use them in the match.

I like the idea of the taper assisting faster loads. But, I'm hoping that the hull body reshaping will cut down on throwaway hulls some also.

Oh, yeah! I meant to add that I used 2 of the spacer washers. I tried 4 & it was too many, & I didn't want to get it too close, so I went with 2. If you use too many, it puts a bulge in the hull.

58 minutes ago, Max Payne said:

Oh, yeah! I meant to add that I used 2 of the spacer washers. I tried 4 & it was too many, & I didn't want to get it too close, so I went with 2. If you use too many, it puts a bulge in the hull.

Thanks, I measured and thought the die could be a little lower. So you used the plastic spacer and 2 washers ?

Archived